Precision Component Technologies for Microfactory Systems Developed at KIMM
Jong-Kweon Park, Seung-Kook Ro, Byung-Sub Kim, Woo-Cheol Shin, and Hyeon-Hwa Lee
Nano Convergence and Manufacturing Systems Research Division, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials (KIMM), 171 Jang-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-343, Korea
This paper presents some of the recent research activities in the ongoing project for the development of high-tech component technologies for Microfactories at the Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials. Component technologies for Microfactory systems are key technologies for future development in this area, both in the R&D and industrial sectors, since many components are not currently available on the market. In this project, some key component technologies for Microfactory systems were chosen for development: multi-axis miniature air-bearing stages (including a planar motion stage), miniature high-speed spindles using air and magnetic bearings, shape memory alloy-based clamping devices for micro-tools and workpieces, optical multi-axis sensors for monitoring micro-tools and spindle rotation, and a numerical control system for the realization of flexible control algorithms. The design concepts and results for selected component technologies are briefly illustrated in this paper.
-  Y. Okazaki, N. Mishima, and K. Ashida, “Microfactory – Concept, History, and Developments,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 126-4, pp. 837-844, 2004.
-  M. P. Vogler, X. Liu, S. G. Kapoor, R. E. DeVor, and K. F. Ehmann, “Development of Meso-scale Machine Tool (mMT) Systems,” Trans. of NAMRI/SME, 30, pp. 653-661, 2002.
-  M. A. Rahman, M. Rahman, A. S. Kumar, and H. S. Lim, “CNC Microturning: An Application to Miniaturization,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 45, pp. 631-639, 2005.
-  Z. Lu and T. Yoneyama, “Micro Cutting in the Micro Lathe Turning System,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 39, pp. 1171-1183, 1999.
-  S. T. Smith and R. M. Seugling, “Sensor and Actuator Considerations for Precision Small Machines,” Precision Engineering, 30, pp. 245-264, 2006.
-  S. K. Ro and J. K. Park, “Development of a Miniature Air-bearing Stage with a Moving Magnet Linear Motor,” J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, 9-1, pp. 19-24, 2008.
-  “The Stage Apparatus which Uses the Permanent Magnet Movement Linear Motor and Air Bearing,” Korean Patent 07061690, 2007.
-  S. K. Ro, S. Kim, Y. Kwak, and C. H. Park, “Development of Magnetically Preloaded Air Bearings for a Linear Slide: Active Compensation of Three Degrees of Freedom Motion Errors,” Review of Scientific Instruments, 79, 036104, 2008.
-  S. K. Ro, J. K. Park, H. S. Yoon, and K. F. Ehmann, “Static and Dynamic Characteristics of Magnetically Preloaded Stages for a 3-Axis Micro-machine Tool,” Proc. of the KSMTE Spring Conf., pp. 468-472, 2005.
-  S.-K. Ro, S.-K. Jang, and J.-K. Park, “A Mesoscale Micro-turning Machine with Modular linear Air-bearing Stages,” Proc. of the 2008 Int. Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conf., MSEC2008, pp.72380, 2008.
-  “The Compacted NC Lathe,” Korean Patent 0829861, 2008.
-  S.-K. Ro, S.-K. Jang, B.-S. Kim, and J.-K. Park, “Development of a Miniature Vertical Milling Machine for Automation Used in a Microfactory,” Proc. Of ICSMA, pp. 186-189, 2008.
-  “The Compacted NC Milling Machine,” Korean Patent 0821992, 2008.
-  S.-K. Ro and J.-K. Park, “A Compact Ultra-precision Air Bearing Stage with 3-DOF Planar Motions Using Electromagnetic Motors,” Proc. of the Asian Symposium for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology 2009, 1E9, 2009.
-  “The Planar Stage Moving Apparatus on the Machine,” Korean Patent 0821058, 2008.
-  W.-C. Shin, S.-K. Ro, H.-W. Park, and J.-K. Park, “Development of a Micro/meso-tool Clamp Using a Shape Memory Alloy for Applications in Micro-spindle Units,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, 49, pp. 575-585, 2009.
-  “High Precision Micro Rotating Tool Clamping Device Using Shape Memory Alloy,” Korean Patent 0784801, 2007.
-  W.-C. Shin, S.-K. Ro, J.-K. Park, and D.-W. Lee, “An Experimental Investigation of the SME-based Tool Clamping Mechanism for Micro Spindle,” Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Micro-manufacturing, pp. 13-17, 2007.
-  W.-C. Shin, S.-K. Ro, and J.-K. Park, “Workpiece-chucking Device Using Two-way Shape Memory Alloys: Feasibility Test,” J. of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 00-00, 2009.
-  K. Otsuka and C. M. Wayman, “Shape Memory Materials,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 159-162, 1998.
-  W.-C. Shin, S.-K. Ro, H.-W. Park, and J.-K. Park, “Development of Micro-spindle System with the Tool Clamping Device Using a Shape Memory Alloy and In-process Runout Monitoring System,” Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Microfactories, pp. 742-745, 2008.
-  “Apparatus of the Micro Spindle,” Korean Patent 0836228, 2008.
-  “The Compacted Air Spindle Apparatus,” Korean Patent 0859433, 2008.
-  J.-H. Kyung, J.-S. Choi, W.-C. Shin, S.-K. Ro, and J.-K. Park, “Study on Magnetically Suspended Micro High-Speed Spindle Design,” Proc. of the 1st ICOMM, pp. 248-252, 2006.
-  H. S. Lim, S. M. Sun, Y. S. Wong, and M. Rahman, “Development and Evaluation of an On-machine Optical Measurement Device,” Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1556-1562, 2007.
-  H.-H. Lee, W.-C. Shin, S.-K. Ro, J.-K. Park, and M. D. Noh, “Design of the Optical Measurement System for Origin Compensation of Small-sized Tool,” Proc. of the 2008 Int. Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conf. MSEC2008, pp. 62-66, 2008.
-  B.-S. Kim, S.-K. Ro, and J.-K. Park, “Control Performance Improvement Using H∞ Control, Input Shaper, Disturbance Observer, and Cross-coupled Control for a 3-axis Desktop Milling Machine,” Proc. of the 3rd ICOMM, pp. 271-276, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.