Clinical Tests for Detecting Synergy Movements and Clinical Understanding of Stroke Patients Using PLEMO System with Sensor Grip Device
Takuya Ozawa*1,2, Takehito Kikuchi*2, Junji Furusho*2,
Kazuki Fukushima*2 Takahiro Fukuda*1, Sosuke Tanida*3,
Takamitsu Fujikawa*4, and Shigeaki Kano*1
*1Kano General Hospital, 7-5-15 Tenjinbashi, Kitaku, Osaka 531-0041, Japan
*2Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
*3Shiga School of Medical Technology, 967 Kitasakachou Higashiohmishi, Siga 527-0145, Japan
*4Department of Health Sciences, Bukkyo University, 96 Kitahananobouchou, Murasakino, Kitaku, Kyoto 603-8301, Japan
-  Home Page of Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Japan, General condition of national medical expenditure in 2005.
-  Home Page of Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Japan, General condition of patients survey in 2005.
-  I. Miyai, H. Yagura, I. oda, I. Konishi, H. Eda, T. Suzuki, and K. Kubota, “Premotor Cortex Is Involved in Restoration of Gait in Stroke,” Annals of Neurology, Vol.52, pp. 188-194, 2002.
-  G. B. Prange, M. J. Jannink, C. G. Groothuis-Oudshoorn, H. J. Hermens, M. J. Ijzerman, “Systematic review of the effect of robot-aided therapy on recovery of the hemiparetic arm after stroke,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, Vol.43, pp. 171-184, 2006.
-  G. Kwakkel, B. J. Kollen, H. I. Krebs, “Effects of Robot-Assisted Therapy on Upper Limb Recovery after Stroke: A Systematic Review,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, Vol.22, pp. 111-128, 2008.
-  H. I. Krebs, B. T. Volpe, M. L. Aisen, and N. Horgan, “Increasing productivity and quality of care: Robot-aided neuron rehabilitation,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, pp. 639-652, 2000.
-  C. G. Burgar, P. S. Lum, P. C. Shor, and Machiel Van der Loos H. F., “Development of robots for rehabilitation thrapy: The Palo Alto va/Sanford experience,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.37, pp. 663-673, 2000.
-  S. Coote, E. Stokes, B. Murphy, and W. Harwin, “The effect of GENTLE/S robot mediated therapy on upper extremity dysfunction post stroke,” Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, 59-91, 2003.
-  A. Toth, G. Fazekas, G. Arz, M. Jurak, and M. Horvath, “Passive robotic movement therapy of the spastic hemiparetic arm with REHABOB: reportof the first clinical test and the follow-up system improvement,” Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, 127-130, 2005.
-  J. Furusho and T. Kikuchi, “A 3-D Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs “EMUL”, and a 6-DOF Rehabilitation System “Robotherapist”, and Other Rehabilitation System with High Safety, (2007), Rehabilitation Robotics (Edited by Sashi S Kommu),” Chapter 8, I-Tech Education and Publishing, pp. 115-136.
-  J. Furusho, K. Koyanagi, K. Nakanishi, U. Ryu, S. Takenaka, A. Inoue, K. Domen, and K. Miyakoshi, “Development of a 3-D Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs Using ER Actuators in a NEDO Project,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, 19, 1591-1597, 2005.
-  S. Isozumi, J. Furusho, T. Kikuchi, K. Oda, N. Shichi, and Y. Ohyama, “Measurement of Reaching Movement with 6-DOF Upper Rehabilitation System “Robotherapist”,” Proceedings of the 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 4262-4265, 2008.
-  T. Nef and R. Riener, “ARMin-Design of a novel arm rehabilitation robot,” Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, 57-60, 2005.
-  Z. Li-Qun, P. Hyung-Soon, and R. Yupeng, “Developing and Intelligent Robotic Arm for Stroke Rehabilitation,” Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, 984-993, 2007.
-  T. Kikuchi, H. Xinghao, K. Fukushima, K. Oda, J. Furusho, and A. Inoue, “Quasi-3-DOF Rehabilitation System for Upper Limbs: Its Force-Feedback Mechanism and Software for Rehabilitation,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics 2007, 24-27, 2007.
-  S. Ueda, “Stroke Rehabilitation Illustrated,” University of Tokyo Press, 6-11, 1981 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kosaka, “Functional Evaluation from the Clinical Neurological Standpoint,” Rigakuryoho Kagaku, Vol.12, pp. 129-134, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  S. Fujiwara, “Upper extremity function in patients with stroke,” So-go Rehabilitation, Vol.35, pp. 1303-1308, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  H. Johanna, J. H. Van der Lee, R. C. Wagenaar, G. J. Lankhorst, T. W. Vogelaar, W. L. Deville, L. M. Bouter, “Forced use of the upper extremity in chronic stroke patients: results from a single-blind randomized clinical trial,” Stroke. 30, 2369-75, 1999.
-  S. L. Wolf, D. E. Lecraw, L. A. Barton, and B. B. Jann, “Forced use of hemiplegic upper extremities to reverse the effect of learned nonuse among chronic stroke and head-injured patients,” Experimental Neurology, Vol.104, pp. 125-32, 1989.
-  J. Liepert, P. Storch, A. Fritsch, C. Weiller, “Motor cortex disinhibition in acute stroke,” Clinical Neurophysiology, Vol.111, pp. 671-6, 2000.
-  K. Kanasaku, “New treatment in neurorehabilitation,” Journal of clinical rehabilitation, Vol.16, pp. 909-912, 2007.
-  E. J. Plautz, G. W. Milliken, and R. J. Nudo, “Effects of repetitive motor training on movement representations in adult squirrel monkeys: role of use versus learning,” Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, Vol.74, pp. 27-55, 2000.
-  T. Ozawa, T. Kikuchi, K. Fukushima, T. Fukuda, S. Tanida, T. Fujikawa, S. Kano, H. Akai, J. Furusho, “Initial Clinical Tests for Assessment Models of Synergy Movements of Stroke Patients Using PLEMO System with Sensor Grip Device,” Proceedings of The 2009 IEEE 11th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, (ICORR2009, USB-Memory), pp. 873-878, 2009.
-  S. Brunnstrom, “Movement therapy in hemiplegia; A neurophysiological approach,” Harper & Row, New York, 1970.
-  A. R. Fugl-Meyer, L. Jaasko, I. Leyman, S. Olsson, S. Steglind, “The post-stroke hemiplegic patient: A method of evaluation of physical performance,” Scandinavian journal of rehabilitation medicine Vol.7, pp. 13-31, 1975.
-  K. Domen, E. Saito, S. Sonoda, N. Chino, A. Kimura, M. Satou, Y. Noda, and T. Otuka, “Stroke Impairment Assessment Set (SIAS) (2) Reliability and Validity of Motor Function Assessment Items of SIAS,” The Japanese Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.30, pp. 310-314, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  C. Terada, “Simple Test for Evaluating Hand Function (STEF),” Japanese Journal of Occupation Therapy, Vol.38, pp. 681-686, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kawahira, A. Ogata, S. Tougou, H. Yumiba, Y. Shirahama, and N. Tanaka, “Functional Recovery of a Hemiplegic Leg by Intensive Exercise Therapy Focus on Freedom from Synergy,” Japanese Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.34, pp. 598-604, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  H. Mochiduki, “Impairments and their Assessment in Stroke Patients,” Rigakuryoho kagaku, Vol.22, pp. 33-38, 2007 (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.