Proposed Isocontraction Training with Muscle Strengthening and Evaluation Using MR Fluid Brakes
Kunihiko Oda*, Takehito Kikuchi**, Yuki Oyama**, and Junji Furusho**
*Dept. of Physical Therapy, Osaka Electro-Communication University, 1130-70 Kiyotaki, Shijonawate, Osaka 575-0063, Japan
**Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Isokinetic exercises used in rehabilitation to strengthen muscles often require expensive exercise equipment. The safe isokinetic exercise system we developed uses only brakes with electrorheological (ER) or magnetorheological (MR) functional fluid. Rapid fluid response gives this equipment good response and control. In the sections that follow, we give basic isokinetic exercise concepts using an MR fluid brake, focusing on high-speed control of 900 deg/s at the elbow. We also suggest a new training mode we call isocontraction exercise.
- A. Miura and Y. Ooi, “Muscle strengthen-Isokinetic Exercise,” so-go- rehabilitation 20-9, pp. 940-944, 1992.
- T. Wakabayashi and H. Majima, “Kin Syusyukurikigaku no Jikken,” Igaku Shoin, 21/38, 1972 (in Japanese).
- D. A. Winter, “Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Movement,” Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 177/179, 1990.
-  K. Koyama, “Applications & Development of Electro Rheological FLuid,” CMC, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  S. Syutto, (Explanation) “Magneto Rheological Fluid and its application,” Journal of the Japan Fluid Power System Society, 38-2, 36/40, 2007.
-  J. Furusho, “Mechatronics using Electro Rheological FLuid,” Journal of the Japan Fluid Power System Society,
-  J. Furusho and M. Sakaguchi, “New Actuators Using ER Fluid and Their Applications to Force Display Devices in Virtual Reality and Medical Treatments,” Int. Journal of Modern Physics B., 13-14/16, 2151/2159, 1999.
-  Y. Yamaguchi, J. Furusho, T. Kikuchi, and S. Kimura, “Development of High-Speed/High-Torque MR Actuator Using Silicon Steel Sheet,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers.
-  T. Kikuchi, J. Furusho, and K. Oda, “Isokinetic Exercise Training and Evaluation System Aimed High Velocity Training (The System Using ER Brake),” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- T. Katayama, “Fiidobakku Seigyo no Kiso," Asakura Shoten, 1987 (in Japanese).
- T. Fuchimoto and M. Kaneko, “Force, Velocity and Power Relationships in Different Age Groups,” Research of physical education 25(4), pp. 273-279 19810325.
- M. Kouchi, M. Mochimaru, H. Iwasawa, and S. Mitani, “Japanese Body Dimension Data,” 1997-98, Japanese Industrial Standards Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 2000.