Nano-Mirror Surface Generation for Hardened Steel Using Ultra-Low Pressure Super-Finishing
Sachiko Ogawa1, Eiichi Aoyama2, Toshiki Hirogaki3, Yoshiaki Onchi4, and Kentarou Oku1
1Department of Engineering, Graduate School, Doshisha University, 1-3 Miyakodani, Tatara, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0321, Japan
2Faculty of Science and Engineering, Doshisha University, 1-3 Miyakodani, Tatara, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0321, Japan
3Faculty of Science and Engineering, Doshisha University, 1-3 Miyakodani, Tatara, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0321, Japan
4MIZUHO Co., Ltd., 82 Fukurojiri, Terada, Joyo-shi, Kyoto 610-0121, Japan
The fixed-abrasive process has attracted significant attention as an alternative to the loose-abrasive process for the final finishing of precision parts due to the improvement in shaping capability, processing efficiency, and environmental friendliness. Here, a new super-finishing method is proposed that involves fine super-abrasive stones (having a mean grain diameter of 8 μm or less) and ultra-low pressure (<0.1 MPa). The proposed method was implemented using a prototype super-finishing machine which was previously fabricated by the authors. Influences of lower stone pressure and finer abrasive grains on the surface roughness of SUJ2 (JIS) hardened steel were investigated. The following conclusions were obtained: (1) It was confirmed that super-finishing with a processing pressure of 0.02 MPa could be achieved using a fine-grit cBN stone. (2) Approximately half the surface roughness value of that achieved under conventional conditions could be obtained using ultra-low pressure. (3) The surface generation model, which was proposed based on plastic and elastic deformation, provided good agreement with the experimental results.
-  N. Matsumori, and Y. Onchi, “Advanced Superfinishing with CBN and Diamond Stones,” SME Technical Paper, 1993, MR93-333.
-  M.Matsui, “Superfinishing and its Mechanism”, Yokendo, 1965 (in Japanese).
-  N. Matsumori and A. Yamamoto, “Influence of Superfinishing Stone Specification on Critical Stone Pressure and Finishing Characteristics at the Pressure: Study on the Elevation of Finishing Ability of Superfinishing Stone (2nd Report),” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.41, No.488, pp. 884-889, 1975 (in Japanese).
-  N. Matsumori and A. Yamamoto, “Critical Stone Pressure as a Characteristics Concerned with Finishing Ability in Superfinishing: Study on the Elevation of Finishing Ability of Super-finishing Stone (1st Report),” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.40, No.477, pp. 852-857, 1974 (in Japanese).
-  E. Aoyama, T. Hirogaki, Y. Onchi, K. Yanagitani, and N. Kawabata,“The Research on Abrasive Grain Falling in the Super-finishing Process by CBN Stone,” Transaction of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering C, Vol.68, No.667, pp. 980-986, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  E. Aoyama, Y. Onchi, T. Hirogaki, M. Okuda, A. Irie, “Study on Super-finishing by CBN Stone: Estimation of Cutting Performance Using Average Crossing Angle,” Transaction of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering C, Vol.64, No.623, pp. 2747-2755, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  H. Okayama, and J.Wate, “The New Water Based Coolant’s Development Fitted for Sub-mirror Surface Finish Process in the Production,”Advances in Abrasive Technology III, pp. 263-270, 2000.
-  M. Buijs and K. Korpel Van Houten, “A Model for Lapping of Glass,” Journal of Material Science, Vol.28, pp. 3014-3020, 1993.
-  H. Nakagawa et al., “Honing Process on a Machining Center,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Advanced Manufacturing Systems and Manufacturing Automation, pp. 113-116, 2000.
-  Y. Onchi, N. Matsumori, N. Igawa, and S. Shimada, “Cutting Mechanism of Superfinishing by Fine CBN Stone,” Journal of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.62, No.5, pp. 666-670, 1996.
-  M. Higuchi, T. Yamaguchi, N. Matsumori, and H. Ogura, “Geometric Modeling of Vitrified Superabrasive Stone Surface” (in Japanese), Transaction of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineering C, Vol.73, No.732, pp. 2381-2386, 2007.
-  H. Ogura and N. Matsumori, “New superfinishing stone with controlled pore structures,” Journal of the Japan Society for AbrasiveTechnology, Vol.48, No.7, pp. 362-366, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  K. Adachi et al., “Material Processing,” Asakurashoten, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Onchi, “Development of high-efficient CBN super-finishing stone,” Doctoral thesis in Osaka University, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Enomoto et al., “Tribology for films,” pp. 1-9, 1994.
-  Y. Yamamoto et al., “Tribology,” pp. 27-30, 1998.