On-Machine Measurement of Tool Cutting Edge Profiles
Takemi Asai, Sayeda Ferdous, Yoshikazu Arai, Yi Yang, and Wei Gao
Nano-Metrology and Control Laboratory, Department of Nanomechanics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
An on-machine profile measuring system for diamond cutting tools was constructed. It is based on the atomic force microscope (AFM). The characteristics evaluation experiment of the AFM unit was carried out. On-machine measurements of three tools, one having a straight cutting edge and the other two having round edges with nose radii of 0.2 mm and 0.1 mm, respectively, were conducted to demonstrate the applicability of this system.
-  N. Taniguchi, “The state of the art of nanotechnology for processing of Ultraprecision and ultrafine products,” Precision Engineering, 16, 1, pp. 5-24, 1994.
-  S. D. Kim, I.-C. Chang, and S.-W. Kim, “Microscopic topographical analysis of tool vibration effects on diamond turned optical surfaces,” Precision Engineering, 26, pp. 168-174, 2002.
-  Y. Maeda, H. Uchida, and A. Yamamoto, “Measurement of the geometric features of a cutting tool edge with the aid of a digital image processing technique,” Precision Engineering, 11, 3, pp. 165-171, 1989.
-  S. Soãres, “Nanometer edge and surface imaging using optical scatter,” Precision Engineering, 27, 1, pp. 99-102, 2003.
-  J. Drescher, “Scanning electron microscopic technique for imaging a diamond tool edge,” Precision Engineering, 15, 2, pp. 112-114, 1993.
-  S. Asai, Y. Taguchi, K. Horio, T. Kasai, and A. Kobayashi, “Measuring and Analysis on Cutting Edge Radius of Single Point Diamond Tools using Newly Developed Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM),” J. Jpn. Soc. Precis. Eng., 56, 7, pp. 145-150, 1990 (in Japanese).
-  D. K. Born and W. A. Goodman, “An empirical survey on the influence of machining parameters on tool wear in diamond turning of large single-crystal silicon optics,” Precision Engineering, 25, 4, pp. 247-257, 2001.
-  W. Gao, T. Motoki, and S. Kiyono, “Nanometer edge profile measurement of diamond cutting tools by atomic force microscope with optical alignment sensor,” Precision Engineering, 30, 4, pp. 296-405, 2006.
-  T. Asai, T. Motoki, W. Gao, B.-F. Ju, and S. Kiyono, “An AFM-based Edge Profile Measuring Instrument for Diamond Cutting Tools,” Int. Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, 8, 2, pp. 54-58, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.