High Performance Rotary Table for Machine Tool Applications
K. M. Muditha Dassanayake* and Masaomi Tsutsumi**
*Sankyo Seisakusho Co.,
2290, Honjo Kikugawa, Shizuoka 439-0018, Japan
**Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
The high performance rotary tables are immense necessary part for the multi-axis machines. These rotary tables are yet in the developing stage. In this report, a rotary table driven by roller drive is introduced and the characteristics of that are discussed by comparing them with the characteristics of rotary table driven by worm gear mechanism. As the characteristics, the positioning accuracy and repeatability, frequency response, rotational fluctuations and influence of unbalance mass on motion are measured. According to the measured results, it can be said that the rotary table driven by roller drive shows high performances and therefore it can be said that this type of rotary tables are well suited for machine tool applications.
-  W. T. Lei, M. P. Sung, W. L. Liu, and Y. C. Chuang, "Double ballbar test for the rotary axes of five-axis CNC machine tools," International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacturing, Vol.47, pp. 273-285, 2007.
-  K. M. M. Dassanayake, M. Tsutsumi, K. Higashiyama, and Ken Yamamoto,"An approach to estimate the inherent deviations by means of simultaneous five-axis motion,6quot; Proceedings of The International Conference on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century, (Fukuoka, Japan), 2007.
-  K. M. M. Dassanayake, M. Tsutsumi, Ryuta Sato, and Hisayoshi Ito, "Motion characteristics of high performance rotary tables for CNC machines," Proceedings of IMECE2008, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, (Boston, Massachusetts, USA), 2008.
-  http://www.rollerdrive.jp
-  ISO 230-2, "Test code for machine tools — Part 2: Determination of accuracy and repeatability of positioning numerically controlled axes," 1997-E.
-  NAS 979, "Uniform cutting test — NAS series, metal cutting equipment specification," pp. 34-37, 1969.
-  H. Wakamoto, T. Wakana, and T. Kubozono, "Technologies of high-precision 5-axis machine µV1-5X and machining examples," Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Technical Review Vol.45, No.3, pp. 39-42, September 2008.