Positioning Accuracy of a Planer Multi-Joint Positioning System and Improvement Thereof
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering / Center for Ultra-Precision Technology,
Faculty of Engineering, Shinshu University
4-17-1 Wakasato, Nagano 380-8553, Japan
In order to discuss the positioning accuracy in a horizontal plane of a planer multi-joint positioning mechanism, we propose a method that uses a reference board on which reference marks are disposed at large intervals in combination with a precision XY stage, and we construct a measurement system that realizes the measurement of positioning accuracy with a resolution of 1.2 µm over the range of 200 × 400 mm. Next, in order to improve the positioning accuracy over a wide range of the planer multi-joint positioning system, we propose a method for calibrating the link length independently of coordinates from the measurements of positioning errors taken on three arbitrarily selected points, and we experimentally verify its validity. Moreover, we show that the positioning error in a local range of 50 × 50mm is mainly a transmission error of the joint drive reducer and experimentally verify the compensation effect for the transmission error. As a result, the positioning bias error is reduced to the same level as that of the positioning resolution over the range of 350 × 150mm.
- Special committee on ultraprecision positioning, Japan Society for Precision Engineering: Present and Future Technology of Ultraprecision Positioning, Fuji-techno System Co. 2000 (in Japanese).
-  S. Fukada and T. Shibuya, "Ultra-precise Positioning with Nanometric Resolution over A One-Millimeter Stroke Using Flexure guide And Electromagnetic Linear Motor," Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. of the European society for precision engineering and nanotechnology, Vol.1, p. 171, 2002.
- Y. Kakino, Y. Iwamoto, Y. Ihara, A. Kamei, and T. Ise, "Compensation of 3-Dimensional Coordinate Measuring Machine and Evaluation of Double Ball Bar Test by Error Vector Analysis," J. JSPE, Vol.51, No.6, p. 1244, 1985 (in Japanese).
- K. Kanzaki, M Tsutsumi, and L. Chen, "Evaluation Method of Accuracy of Positioning for CNC Machine Tools," Trans. JSME, Ser. (C), Vol. 59, No. 560 p. 1286, 1993 (in Japanese).
- D. E. Whitney, C. A. Lozinski, and J. M. Rourke, "Industrial Robot Forward Calibration Method and Results," Trans. ASME, Journal of Dynamic System, Measurement, and Control, Vol.108, 1, 1986.
- P. L. Broderick and R. J. Cipra, "A Method for Determining and Correction Robot Position and Orientation Error Due to Manufacturing," Trans. ASME, Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, Vol.110, 3, 1988.
- Z. Ji., M. C. Leu, and P. F. Lilienthal II, "Vision based tool calibration and accuracy improvement for assembly robots, Precision Engineering," Vol.14, No.3, 168, 1992.
- N. Furuya and Y. Makino, "Calibration of SCARA Robot Dimensions by Teaching," J. JSPE, Vol.49, No.9, p.1223, 1983 (in Japanese).
- S. Toyama and S. Hatae, "Identification and Compensation of Mechanical Errors for a SCARA Robot," J. JSPE, Vol.58, No.6, p. 999, 1992 (in Japanese).
- H. Kamiya, H. Tsuji, and K. Maruyama, "Measurement Method of Positioning Accuracy for SCARA Robot," J. JSPE, Vol.61, No.1, p. 85, 1995 (in Japanese).
- S. Fukada, "Positioning Accuracy of SCARA- Type Manipulator and A Method of Error Compensation," Proc. ASPE, Vol.18, pp. 271-274, 1998.
- T. Yoshikawa, "Fundamental theory of robot control," Corona Co., 1988 (in Japanese).
- K. Izuka, "Guide for describing uncertainty in measurement," Japanese Standard Association, 1996 (in Japanese).
- N. Furuya, "Compensation of SCARA Robot Positioning Error using Stereo Camera," J. JSPE, Vol.67, No.10, p. 1674, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  H. Tatsuta, H. Terada, and H. Makino, "Calibration of Horizontally Articulated Robot by Rotation Angle Method," J. JSPE, Vol.62, No.5, p. 747, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  S. Yanabe, A. Itoh, A. Okamoto, T. Yamaguchi, M. Ikeda, and H. Fujita, "Rotational Transmission Error of Harmonic Drive Device," Trans. JSME, Ser. (C), Vol.56, No.521, p. 148, 1990 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.