Influence of Matrix Circuit Switching Device Junction Capacitance on Piezoelectric Actuator Drive Performance
Katsushi Furutani and Taizo Makino
Department of Advanced Science and Technology, Toyota Technological Institute
12-1 Hisakata 2-chome, Tempaku-ku, Nagoya 468-8511, Japan
Piezoelectric actuators are widely used as fine-motion actuators for positioning devices. Current pulse driving reduces displacement hysteresis, and the drive circuit provides current pulses considered constant charge pulses to the piezoelectric actuator. The circuit for devices with multiple degrees of freedom using multiple piezoelectric actuators should be simple. Matrix circuits are used to drive liquid crystal displays to reduce the number of drive-circuit control signals and components. A group of 2 × 2 piezoelectric actuators was driven alternately using a 4-switch matrix circuit, and two field effect transistors were used as a fast matrix circuit switch. Piezoelectric actuator drive performance was studied in the case of using the current pulse circuit and the matrix circuit. When the matrix circuit drove actuators performing as capacitive loads, switching device junction capacitors adversely affected drive performance.
-  W. G. May, Jr., “Piezoelectric Electromechanism Translation Apparatus,” US Patent, 3902084, 1975.
-  Y. Okazaki, “A micro-positioning tool post using piezoelectric actuator for diamond-turning machines,” Precis. Eng., Vol.12, No.3, pp. 151-156, 1990.
-  W. L. Xu and L. Han, “Piezoelectric actuator based active error compensation of precision machining,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.10, No.2, pp. 106-111, 1999.
-  J. F. Cuttino, A. C. Miller, Jr., and D. E. Schinstock, “Performance Optimization of a Fast Tool Servo for Single-Point Diamond Turning Machines,” IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 169-179, 1999.
-  A. Furuta, M. Munekata, and T. Higuchi, “Precise Positioning Stage Driven by Multilayer Piezo Actuator using Strain Gauge,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.41, Pt.1, No.10, pp. 6283-6286, 2002.
-  Y. Altintas and A. Woronko, “A Piezo Tool Actuator for Precision Turning of Hardened Shafts,” CIRP Ann., Vol.51, No.1, pp. 303-306, 2002.
-  K. Furutani, N. Ohta, and K. Kawagoe, “Coarse and Fine Positioning Performance of L-shaped Seal Mechanism with 3 Degree of Freedom,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.15, No.1, pp. 103-111, 2004.
-  K. Furutani, M. Suzuki, and R. Kudoh, “Nanometer-cutting Machine Using Stewart-platform Parallel Mechanism,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.15, No.2, pp. 467-474, 2004.
-  M. Nokata and K. Ikuta, “Frequency modulation velocity control of multiple cybernetic actuators for two-lead-wire drive,” Proc. 1999 IEEE Int. Sympo. Micromechatronics and Human Science, pp. 123-128, 1999.
-  Y. Nishioka, K. Suzumori, T. Kanda, and S. Wakimoto, “Pneumatic Valve Operated by Multiplex Pneumatic Transmission,” J. Adv. Mech. Des., Syst. Manuf., Vol.2, No.2, pp. 222-229, 2008.
-  M. A. Karim Ed., “Electro-optical displays,” Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, USA, pp. 54-55, 1992.
-  H. C. Schau, “Edge-connected, crossed-electrode array for two-dimensional projection and beam forming,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol.39, No.2, pp. 289-297, 1991.
-  N. Yatame, Y. Tamura, H. Yanagida, and C. Ishihara, “Edge-Connected 2 Dimensional Array Composed of Nonlinear Acoustic Devices,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.41, Pt.1, No.5B, pp. 3348-3353, 2002.
-  K. Furutani and K. Iida, “Driving method of piezoelectric actuator by using current pulse,” Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol.17, No.9, pp. 2387-2394, 2006.
-  C. V. Newcomb and I. Flinn, “Improving The Linearity of Piezoelectric Ceramic Actuators,” Electron. Lett., Vol.18, No.11, pp. 442-444, 1982.
-  P. M. Aziz, H. V. Sorensen, and J, Van der Spiegel, “An overview of Sigma-Delta Converters,” IEEE Signal. Process. Mag., Vol.13, No.1, pp. 61-84, 1996.
-  Y. Ikebe and T. Nakada, “On a Piezoelectric Flapper Type Servovalves Operated by a Pulse Width Operated Signal,” Trans. Am. Soc. Mech. Engr., G, J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control, Vol.96, No.1, pp. 88-94, 1974.
-  K. Furutani and A. Furuta, “Evaluation of Driving Performance of Piezoelectric Actuator with Current Pulse,” Proc. 10th Int. Workshop Adv. Motion Cont., Trento, Italy, pp. 387-392, 2008.
-  Same as , pp. 73-79.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.