Fast Positioning of Cutting Tool by a Voice Coil Actuator for Micro-Lens Fabrication
Young Jin Noh, Masayuki Nagashima, Yoshikazu Arai, and Wei Gao
Nanometrology and Control Laboratory, Department of Nanomechanics, Tohoku University
6-6-01, Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
This paper describes the design, characteristics evaluation and experiment of a fast tool positioning (FTP) unit driven by a voice coil actuator. Three types of springs for coupling the actuator and the cutting tool, are compared for displacement constant, stiffness, and dynamic response based results of theoretical analysis and experiments. Micro-lens fabrication experiments on an aluminum alloy workpiece are conducted using the FTP with a disc spring, which has a displacement constant of approximately 100 μm/A, a bandwidth of approximately 273 Hz, and a Z direction stiffness of 210 mN/μm.
-  Y. C. Lee, C. M. Chena, and C. Y. Wu, “A new excimer laser micromachining method for axially symmetric 3D microstructures with continuous surface profiles,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.117, Issue 2, pp. 349-355, 2005.
-  Y. Nakamura and O. Tabata, “Moving mask direct photo-etching (M2DPE) for 3D micromachining of polytetrafluoroethylene,” IEEJ Transactions on Sensors and Micromachines, Vol.126, Issue 9, pp. 499-503, 2006.
-  E. Kouno, “A fast response piezoelectric actuator for servo correction of systematic errors in precision machining,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.33, Issue 1, pp. 369-373, 1984.
-  S. Patterson and E. Magrab, “The design and testing of a fast tool servo for diamond turning,” Precision Engineering, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 123-128, 1985.
-  W. Gao, T. Araki, S. Kiyono, Y. Okazaki, and M. Yamanaka, “Precision nano-fabrication and evaluation of a large area sinusoidal grid surface for a surface Encoder,” Precision Engineering, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 289-298, 2003.
-  W. Gao, M. Tano, S. Sato, and S. Kiyono, “On-machine measurement of a cylindrical surface with sinusoidal micro-structures by an optical slope sensor,” Precision Engineering, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 274-279, 2006.
-  Y. J. Noh, Y. Arai, M. Tano, and W. Gao, “Fabrication of large area micro-lens arrays with fast tool control,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 32-38, 2008.
-  H. S. Kim and E. J. Kim, “Feed-forward control of fast tool servo for real-time correction of spindle error in diamond turning of flat surface,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.43, pp. 1177-1183, 2003.
-  W. H. Zhu, M. B. June, and Y. Altinatas “A fast tool servo design for precision turning of shafts on conventional CNC lathes,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol.41, No.6, pp. 953-965, 2001.
-  Y. Okazaki, “A micro-positioning tool post using a piezoelectric actuator for diamond turning machines” Precision Engineering, Vol.12, No.3 pp. 151-156, 1990.
-  X. D. Lu and D. L. Trumper, “Ultrafast tool servos for diamond turning,” Precision Engineering, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 274-279, 2006.
-  M. Tsuda and T. Higuchi, “Design and control of magnetic servo levitation,” Rep. Inst. Ind. Sci., Univ. Tokyo, Vol.37, No.2, pp. 137-205, 1992.
-  H. M. Martin and P. I. Ro, “Parametric modeling and control of a long-range actuator using magnetic servo livitation,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.34, No.5, pp. 3689-3695, 1998.
- I. Nakahara, “Strength of Materials,” Asakura Publishing Co., Ltd., p. 180, 1988 (in Japanese).
- I. Nakahara, “Strength of Materials,” Yokendo Co., Ltd., p. 328, 1965 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.