Development of Pneumatic Servo Bearing Actuator for Nanometer Positioning
Masato Kadotani*1, Takakazu Kitagawa*1, Satoshi Katto*1, Tomoko Hirayama*2, Takashi Matsuoka*2, Hiroshi Yabe*3, and Katsumi Sasaki*4
*1Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering, Doshisha University
1-3 Miyakodani, Tatara, Kyotanabe, Kyoto 610-0394, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Doshisha University
*3Kyoto University, Osaka Electro-Communication University
*4Pneumatic Servo Controls Ltd.
The ‘pneumatic servo bearing actuator (PSBA)’ that consists of an aerostatic bearing and a servo valve was proposed and developed for ultraprecise positioning. In the actuator, pressurized air controlled by the servo valve moves an actuated spool ultra-precisely. Even under open-loop control, the PSBA provided accurate replication and positioning resolution on a nanometer order. Applying simple positioning feedback and parallel observation that estimates the disturbance into the system increased the actuator stiffness to be almost infinite and promoted a sharp step response without drift and hysteresis, and thus the minimum positioning resolution of prototype PSBA was about 1 nm.
-  K. Sato, “Trend of Precision Positioning Technology,” ABCM Symposium Series in Mechatronics, Vol.2, pp. 739-750, 2006.
-  Y. T. Liu and S. C. Lee, “Recent Developments of Precision Positioning Technologies in Taiwan,” Proc. of 3rd Int. Conf. Positioning Technology, 2008.
-  X. Lu, M. Paone, I. Usman, A. H. Slocum, and A. Yui, “Rotary-Axial Spindles for Precision Manufacturing,” Proc. of the 23rd ASPE Annual Meeting and 12th ICPE, 2008.
-  H. Mizumoto, Y. Yabuta, S. Arii, M. Yabuya, and Y. Tazoe, “A Dual-Mode Pico-Positioning System Using Active Aerostatic Coupling,” Int. J. of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 32-37, 2007.
-  T. Shinshi, K. Sato, and A. Shimokohbe, “A Compact Aerostatic Spindle Integrated with an Axial Positioning Actuator for Micro and Ultra-Precision Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 56-63, 2007.
-  K. Sawada, “Explanation of Ultra Precision (Nano) Machine Tools,” Proc. of the 1st International Conference on Positioning Technology, pp. 3-22, 2004.
-  H. Yabe, H. Mori, H. Asakawa, and M. Kihara, “A Study on Characteristics of Externally Pressurized Gas Thrust Bearing with Surface-Restriction Compensation,” Trans. of Japan Society of Mechanical Eng. C, Vol.45, No.389, pp. 100-107, 1979 (in Japanese).
-  A. Mori, “Basic Design for Externally Pressurized Gas Bearings,” Text of Gas Bearing Workshop, Japanese Society of Tribologists, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  T. Wang, M. Cai, K. Kawashima, and T. Kagawa, “Modelling of a Nozzle-Flapper Type Pneumatic Servo Valve Including the Influence of Flow Force,” Int. J. of Fluid Power, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 33-43, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.