Modelling Product Returns Taking Sales Modes into Account
Shozo Takata and Takako Sakai
Department of Industrial and Management Systems Engineering, Waseda University, Japan
This paper presents a model for estimating the number of returned products, taking sales mode differences into account. The model is constructed using actual copier collection data. The analysis of the data makes it clear that users who own and users who lease behave quite differently from each other, and that users who lease can be divided into two types: those who are aware of the lease period and those who behave as if they were not leasing but owning.
-  F. Kimura and H. Suzuki, "Product Life Cycle Modelling for Inverse Manufacturing," Life Cycle Modelling for Innovative Products and Processes, Chapman & Hall, pp. 80-89, 1995.
-  L. B. Toktay, E. A. Van der Laan, P. De Brito, "Managing Product Returns: The Role of Forecasting,'' ERIM report series, ERS-2003-023-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management, 2003.
-  T. Tamura, M. Hasegawa, and J. Fujimoto, "Method of Estimating Amount of Collection of Used Personal Computers,'' Proc. of EcoDesign 2002 Japan Symposium, pp. 280-281, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. P. De Brito and R. Dekker, "Modelling Product Returns in Inventory Control -- Exploring the Validity of General Assumptions,'' International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.81, pp. 225-249, 2003.
-  M. P. De Brito and E. A. Van der Laan, "Inventory Control with Product Returns: The Impact of Imperfect Information,'' European Journal of Operational Research, 2008 (in press).
-  G. P. Kiesmuller and E. A. Van der Laan, "An Inventory Model with Dependent Product Demands and Returns,'' International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.72, pp. 73-87, 2001.
-  S. K. Srivastava and R. K. Srivastava, "Managing Product Returns for Reverse Logistics,'' International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, Vol.36, No.7, pp. 524-546, 2006.
-  N. Sakai, Y. Shimomura, T. Tomiyama, and Y. Umeda, "Life Cycle Simulation for Inverse Manufacturing. A Study on a Product Life Cycle Model with Consumers' Behavior to Discard Products,'' Proc. of JSME Design & Systems Division Conference, pp. 263-266, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  J. Marx-Gomez, et al., "Neuro-fuzzy Approach to Forecast Returns of Scrapped Products to Recycling and Remanufacturing,'' Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol.15, pp. 119-128, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.