Design of Competitive Maintenance Service for Durable and Capital Goods Using Life Cycle Simulation
Hitoshi Komoto*,** and Tetsuo Tomiyama*
*Intelligent Mechanical Systems Group, Department of Biomechanical Engineering,
Faculty of Mechanical Maritime and Materials Engineering, Delft University of Technology
Mekelweg 2, 2628 CD Delft, the Netherlands
**Design for Sustainability Group, Department of Design Engineering,
Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology
Landbergstraat 15, 2628 CE Delft, the Netherlands
Maintenance is crucial in the life cycles of such durable goods as computers, cars, and office equipment and of such capital goods as machine tools and industrial robots. We developed a life cycle simulation model for analyzing maintenance in a life cycle while varying user behavior in a competitive environment to study the economic feasibility of integrating maintenance with other services from an auto manufacturer’s perspective. We found that the feasibility of integration depends on user preference for specific service content and purchase timing and on the types of service content provided and discounted by competitors. We also found that a comprehensive maintenance package must be carefully designed considering the diversity of user behavior if sales are to be raised over those of on-the-spot maintenance.
-  Y. Umeda, A. Nonomura, and T. Tomiyama, "Study on life-cycle design for the post mass production paradigm" Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Vol.14, pp. 149-61, 2000.
-  L. H. Shu, D. R. Wallace, and W. C. Flowers, "Probabilistic Methods in Life-Cycle Design," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment, Dallas, TX, pp. 7-12, 1996.
-  S. Takata, A. Yamada, T. Kohda, and H. Asama, "Life Cycle Simulation Applied to a Robot Manipulator -- An Example of Aging Simulation of Manufacturing Facilities --," Annals of the CIRP 47(1), pp. 397-400, 1998.
-  J. Fujimoto, Y. Umeda, T. Tamura, T. Tomiyama, and F. Kimura, "Development of Service-Oriented Products Based on the Inverse Manufacturing Concept," Environmental Science & Technology, Vol.37, No.23, pp. 5398-5406, 2003.
-  S. Kato and F. Kimura, "The Product Life Cycle Design Method using a Strategic Analysis," 11th International CIRP Life Cycle Engineering Seminar "Product Life Cycle -- Quality Management Issues,'' Belgrade, Serbia, 2004.
-  T. Kumazawa and H. Kobayashi, "A simulation system to support the establishment of circulated business, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.20, pp.127-36, 2006.
-  S. Kondoh, M. Soma, and Y. Umeda, "Simulation of closed-loop manufacturing systems focused on material balance of forward and inverse flows," International Journal of Environmental Conscious Design and Manufacturing, Vol.13, No.2, 2005.
-  H. Komoto, T. Tomiyama, M. Nagel, S. Slivester, and H. Brezet, "Life Cycle Simulation for Analyzing Product Service Systems," 4th International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing (EcoDesign 2005), IEEE, pp. 386-393, 2005.
-  H. Komoto and T. Tomiyama, "Integration of a Service CAD and a Life Cycle Simulator," Annals of the CIRP 57(1), pp. 9-12, 2008.
-  T. E. Graedel and B. R. Allenby, "Industrial Ecology, Prentice Hall," 1995.
-  S. K. Dujairaj, S. K. Ong, A. Y. C. Nee, and R. B. H. Tan, "Evaluation of Life Cycle Cost Analysis Methodologies," Corporate Environmental Strategy, 9(1), pp. 30-39, 2002.
-  Arena, www.arenasimulation.com (visited on 05.11.2008)
-  Delmia, http://www.3ds.com/products/delmia (visited on 05.11.2008)
-  P. Geogiadis and D. Vlachos, "The effect of environmental parameters on product recovery," European Journals of Operational Research, Vol.157, pp. 449-464, 2004.
-  P.P.A.A.H. Kandelaars, J.C.J.M. van den Bergh, "Dynamic analysis of materials-product chains: An application to window frames," Ecological Economics, Vol.22, pp. 41-61, 1997.
-  M. Chouinard, S. D'Amours, and D. Ait-Kadi, "A stochastic programming approach for designing supply loops," International Journals of Production Economics, Vol.113, pp. 657-677, 2008.
-  M. Fleischmann, M. B. R. Jacqueline, R. Dekker, E. van der Laan, J.A.E.E. van Nunen, L.N. van Wassenhove, "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journals of Operational Research, Vol.103, pp. 1-17, 1997.
-  T. Tomiyama, "Service Engineering to intensify service contents in product life cycles," Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing (EcoDesign 2001), IEEE Computer Society, pp. 613-8, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.