Total Performance Analysis of Manufacturing Processes
Shinsuke Kondoh, Nozomu Mishima, Yuji Hotta, Koji Watari,
Tsuneo Kurita, and Keijiro Masui
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), AIST Tsukuba East, 1-2-1, Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8564, Japan
To evaluate the environmental impact of products, we propose a total performance indicator (TPI), an efficiency index that simultaneously takes into account cost, environmental impact, and value. We propose applying the TPI to evaluating manufacturing processes. Calculating the TPI of manufacturing-process segments lets us clarify bottlenecks limiting the enhancing of performance. We focus on a ceramic filter manufacturing process, determining segments that contribute little to creating value and cause considerable environmental impact and cost. Designers evaluating manufacturing processes using the TPI can quickly determine processes that are not “eco-efficient.”
Tsuneo Kurita, and Keijiro Masui, “Total Performance Analysis of Manufacturing Processes,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 56-62, 2009.
-  K. Tahara, K. Yamaguchi, M. Sagisaka, and A. Inaba, "CO2 Efficiency: A New Evaluation Method of Companies' Environmental Performances," Proc. of the 6th Intn'l Conf. on EcoBalance, pp. 269-270, Tsukuba, Japan, Oct. 2004.
-  S. Kondoh, K. Masui, M. Hattori, N. Mishima, and M. Matsumoto, "Total Performance Analysis of Product Life Cycle Considering the Deterioration and Obsolescence of Product Value," Proc. of CARE INNOVATION 2006, Vienna, Austria, Nov. 2006.
-  M. Ernzer, M. Lindahl, K. Masui, and T. Sakao, "An International Study on Utilizing of Design Environmental Methods (DfE) - A pre-study -," Proc. of the Third International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 124-131, 2003.
-  H. Narita, H. Kawamura, T. Norihisa, L. Chen, H. Fujimoto, and T. Hasebe, "Development of Evaluation System of Environmental Burden for Machining Operation (2nd report)," Proc. of JSPE 2004 Autumn Conference, pp.111-112, Sep. 2004 (in Japanese).
-  N. Itsubo, J. Noh, and A. Inaba, "An Assessment of Environmental Impact and Effectiveness to the Society caused by the Conversion of Conventional Solder intoLead-free Solder," Proceeding of the Sixth InternationalConference on EcoBalance, pp. 519-520, Oct.25-27, 2004.
-  K. Akao, "Quality Function Deployment, Productivity Process," Cambridge, M.A., 1990.
-  S. Kondoh, Y. Umeda, and H. Togawa, "Development of redesign method of production system based on QFD," Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 181-192, 2007.
-  P. E. Green and V. Srinivasan, "Conjoint Analysis in Consumer Research: Issues and Outlook," J. of Marketing Research, XV, pp. 132-136, 1978.
-  D. V. Winterfeld and W. Edwards, "Decision Analysis and Behavioral Research, Cambridge University Press," Cambridge, England, 1986.
-  K. Sato, Y. Hotta, T.Nagaoka, K. Watari, M. Asai, and S. Kawasaki, "Mutual Linkage of Particles in a Ceramic Green Body through Photoreactive Organic Binders," Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, Vol.113, No.10, pp. 687-691, 2005.
-  K. Sato, M. Kawai, Y. Hotta, T. Nagaoka, and K. Watari, "Production of Ceramic Green Body Using Microwave-Reactive Organic Binder," Journal of Am. Ceramic Society, Vol.90, No.4, pp. 1319-1322, 2007.
-  N. Omura, Y. Hotta, K. Sato, Y. Kinemuchi, S. Kume, and K. Watari, "Fabrication of Stable Al2O3 Slurries and Dense Green Bodies Using Wet Jet Milling," Journal of Am. Ceramic Society, Vol.89, No.9, pp. 2738-2743, 2006.