Analysis of Environmental Impact due to Machine Tool Operation
Hirohisa Narita and Hideo Fujimoto
Nagoya Institute of Technology
Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
The algorithm we propose calculates the environmental burden due to machine tool operations. The environmental burden analyzer we then developed determines the environmental impact of dry machining, minimum quantity lubricant (MQL) machining, and wet machining on the impact categories of global warming, acidification, eutrophication, photochemical oxidants, human toxicity, and ecotoxicity. We explain the features of impact categories as they relate to machining operations and discuss machining methods for lower the environmental burden of machine tool operations.
-  H. Yoshimura, K. Niwa, T. Nakamura, and F. Itoigawa, "Study on Eco-Friendly Oil on Drop Cutting Fluid (Water Properties and Machining Performance of Oil on Water Drop Cutting Fluid)," Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century (LEM21), pp. 1059-1063, 2003.
-  M. Shimoda, "LCA case of machine tool," Symposium of 2002 Japan Society for Precision Engineering Spring Annual Meeting "Leading-Edge Trend of Environmental Impact Evaluation for Inverse Type Design and Manufacturing," pp. 37-41, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  S. Touma, S. Ohmori, K. Kokubo, and M. Tateno, "Evaluation of Environmental Burden in Eco-friendly Machining Method using Life Cycle Assessment Method -- Estimation of Carbon Dioxide Emission in Eco-friendly Turing Method --," J. of JSPE, Vol.69, No.6, pp. 825-830, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  J. Akbari, K. Oyamada, and Y. Saito, "LCA of Machine Tools with Regard to Their Secondary Effects on Quality of Machined Parts," Proc. of Eco Design 2001, pp. 347-352, 2001.
-  P. Sheng, D. Bennet, S. Thurwachter, and B. F. von Turkovich, "Environmental-Based Systems Planning for Machining," Annals of the CIRP, Vol.47/1, pp. 409-414, 1998.
-  Y. Hara, T. Tanaka, and Y. Saito, "Evaluation Method of the Power Consumption for Machine Tool," Proceeding of the 2005 JSPE Autumn Annual Conference, pp. 744-745, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  H. Narita, L. Y. Chen, H. Fujimoto, K. Shirase, and E. Arai, "Trial-Less Machining Using Virtual Machining Simulator for Ball End Mill Operation," International Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 50-55, 2006.
-  U. S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), "Emission Factor Documentation for AP-42," Section 11.1, Table 4-11, "SUMMARY OF TEST DATA FOR HOT MIX ASPHALT PLANTS; DRUM MIX FACILITY -- DRYERS," 2004.
-  K. Nansai, Y. Moriguchi, and S. Tohno, "Embodied Energy and Emission Intensity Data for Japan Using Input-Output Tables (3EID) -- Inventory Data for LCA --," Center for Global Environment Research, National Institute of Environmental Studies, Japan, 2002.
-  H. Mizukami, R. Yamaguchi, T. Nakayama, and T. Maki, "Off-gas Treatment Technology of ECOARC," NKK Technical Report, No.176, pp. 1-5, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Tokyo electric power company home page, "The Earth, People & Energy TEPCO Sustainability Report 2004," 2005.
-  "Environmental report of Tokyo waterworks 2002," 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Osaka prefecture, "guideline index of waste material incinerator in Osaka prefecture," Osaka prefectural announcement No.618, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Osaka prefecture, "Osaka prefectural statistical yearbook 2004," 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Department of Industrial Ecology, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University, "Download characterisation and normalisation factors," 2004.