Environmentally-Conscious Design Methods for Manufacturing Firms with Servicification
Tomohiko Sakao, Mattias Lindahl, and Anna Öhrwall-Rönnbäck
Department of Management and Engineering, Linköping University
SE-581 83 Linköping, Sweden
Servicification is a key toward environmental conscious business in the manufacturing industry. After looking at the business and economic implications of Integrated Product and Service Offerings, the paper suggests specifications for methods beneficial for such a manufacturing company. The paper is based on the empirical case studies of 120 Swedish manufacturing firms of different sizes. It is expected to encourage discussion on this crucial theme in mature economies such as those of Europe and Japan.
-  T. Alonso-Rasgado and G. Thompson, "A rapid design process for Total Care Product creation," Journal of Engineering Design, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 509-531, 2006. T. Alonso-Rasgado, G. Thompson, and B. Elfstrom, "The design of functional (total care) products," Journal of Engineering Design, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 515-540, 2004.
- H. Anderson, D. Andersson, P. Brehmer, M. Huge, J. Lilliecreutz, and A. "O. Rönnb"ack, "Suppliers' Articulation of Value Using the Internet," International Marketing and Purchasing (IMP) Conference, 2004.
-  T. Arai and Y. Shimomura, "Proposal of Service CAD System -- A Tool for Service Engineering --," Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 397-400, 2004.
- O. Br"annström, B.-O. Elfström, and G. Thompson, "Functional products create new demands on product development companies," International Conference on Engineering Design, CD-ROM, 2001.
- S. Evans, P. J. Partidário, and J. Lambert, "Industrialization as a key element of sustainable product-service solutions," International Journal of Production Research, Vol.45, No.18&19, pp. 4225-4246, 2007.
- Japanese Ministry of Public Management, H. A., "Posts and Telecommunications (2002) Annual Report on the Family Income and Expenditure Survey," Japan Statistical Association.
- M. Lindahl, T. Sakao, and A. "O. Rönnb"ack, "Business Implications of Integrated Product and Service Offerings," CIRP IPS2 Conference 2009, 2009 (to appear).
- M. Lindahl, G. "O. Sandström, E. Sundin, A. "O Rönnb"ack, and J. "Ostlin, "Learning networks: a method for Integrated Product and Service Engineering -- experience from the IPSE project," in M. Mitsuishi, K. Ueda, and F. Kimura, (Eds.), "Manufacturing Systems and Technologies for the New Frontier -- Proceedings for The 41st CIRP Conference on Manufacturing Systems," Springer, pp. 495-500, Tokyo, 2008.
- M. Lindahl and G. "Olundh, "The Meaning of Functional Sales," 8th CIRP International Seminar on Life Cycle Engineering -- Life Cycle Engineering: Challenges and Opportunities, pp. 211-220, 2001.
- N. Morelli, "Product-service systems, a perspective shift for designers: A case study: the design of a telecentre," Design Studies, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 73-99, 2003.
- R. Oliva and R. Kallenberg, "Managing the transition from products to services," International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 160-172, 2003.
- S. Ritzén, A. Zika-Viktorsson, J. Forslin, and M. Engwall, "Learning to change -- a network approach to engineering management development," International Conference on Engineering Design, CD-ROM, 2005.
- T. Sakao, M. Lindahl, E. Sundin, A. "O. Rönnb"ack, and O. Tang, "Addressing Uncertainty as a Key for Successful Integrated Product and Service Offerings: Literature Review and Company Interview," The Swedish Production Symposium, pp. 253-260, 2008.
- T. Sakao, G. "O. Sandström, and D. Matzen, "Framing design research for service orientation through PSS approaches," Journal of Engineering Design, 2009a (provisionally accepted to appear).
- T. Sakao and Y. Shimomura, "Service Engineering: A Novel Engineering Discipline for Producers to Increase Value Combining Service and Product," Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 590-604, 2007.
- T. Sakao, Y. Shimomura, E. Sundin, and M. Comstock, "Modeling Design Objects in CAD System for Service/Product Engineering," Computer-Aided Design, DOI: 10.1016/j.cad.2008.06.006, 2009b (accepted to appear).
- E. Sundin and B. Bras, "Making functional sales environmentally and economically beneficial through product remanufacturing," Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol.13, No.9, pp. 913-925, 2005.
- T. Tomiyama, "Service Engineering to Intensify Service Contents in Product Life Cycles," Second International Symposium on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, pp. 613-618, 2001.
- A. Tukker and U. Tischner," New Business for Old Europe," Greenleaf Publishing, Sheffield, 2006.
- S. L. Vargo and R. F. Lusch, "Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing," Journal of Marketing, Vol.68, No.1, pp. 1-17, 2004.
- S. L. Vargo and R. F. Lusch, "From Goods to Service(s): Divergences and Convergences of Logics," Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.37, pp. 254-259, 2008. G. "Olundh and S. Ritzén, "How do Functional Sales Affect Product Development and Environmental Performance?," International Conference on Engineering Design, CD-ROM, 2003.
- J. "Ostlin, E. Sundin, and M. Björkman, "Importance of closed-loop supply chain relationships," International Journal of Production Economics, 2008 (accepted to appear).