Current Status of Environmentally Conscious Design Among Japanese Manufacturers
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
1-2-1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8564, Japan
The importance of the environmentally conscious design (ECD) continues to increase because the approach enterprises take to environmental protection is shifting from environmental considerations in the factory to the development of environmentally conscious products (ECP). It is important that excellent practices concerning ECD processes be introduced into companies that have been slow to respond and that common problems with ECD processes be identified. To these ends, our survey research team investigated the current status of ECD among Japanese manufacturers through interviews and mail-in surveys. In this paper, we first describe our survey results on the current status of ECD in each industrial sector. Secondly, we propose an ideal ECD scheme for implementation in companies.
-  H. Kaebernick and S. Kara, "Environmentally Sustainable Manufacturing: A Survey on Industry Practices," Proc. of 13thCIRP Inter. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, pp. 19-28, 2006.
-  B. Kuhrke, S. Feickert, and E. Abele, "LCA and EcoDesign in the German Electronics Industries," Proc. of 13th CIRP Inter. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, pp. 317-321, 2006.
-  M. Lindahl, "Designers' Utilization of and Requirements on Design for Environment (DfE) Methods and Tools," Proc. of EcoDesign 2005, CD-ROM 1D-1-1F, 2005.
-  M. Ernzer, M. Lindahl, K. Masui, and T. Sakao, "An International Study on Utilization of Design for Environment Methods (DfE) -- A pre-study," Proc. of EcoDesign 2003: Third Inter. Sym. on Environmentally Conscious Design and Inverse Manufacturing, pp. 124-131, 2003.
-  M. Ernzer, C. Grüuner, and H. Birkhofer, "Implementation of DfE in the Daily Design Work -- An Approach Derived from Surveys," Proc. of DETC '02 ASME 2002 Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computer and Information in Engineering Conference, CD-ROM DTM-34032, 2002.
-  K. Masui, T. Hata, and Y. Umeda, "Survey on environmentally conscious design in Japanese electronics industry," Proc. of Care Innovation 2006, CD-ROM, 2006.
-  K. Masui and H. Ito, "Survey on environmentally conscious design in the Japanese industrial machinery sector," Proc. of the 14thCIRP Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, pp. 231-236, 2007.