Creation of U-Shaped and Skewed Holes by Means of Electrical Discharge Machining Using an Improved Electrode Curved Motion Generator
Tohru Ishida and Yoshimi Takeuchi
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
This study deals with the development of a new method of machining curved holes for water channels built in molds, holes which cannot be fabricated using current machining methods in practical use. Since holes are generally formed by drilling, water channels are a series of straight holes. This causes obstructions to the smooth flow of the coolant, leading to low efficiency and unstable performance in the cooling of the molds. To solve these problems, the authors have developed new devices that can machine curved holes, thus enhancing the degree of freedom of water channels. An earlier device consisted of simple mechanical parts installed on a die-sinking electrical discharge machine (EDM). It was able to fabricate an L-shaped curved hole. However, the controllability of the shape of the curved holes it produced was unfortunately low. To overcome this weakness, the device has been improved and now it can machine curved holes of a variety of shapes. Through application experiments, it has been found that U-shaped and skewed holes, holes which cannot be produced using conventional machining methods, can also be created employing the improved device.
-  H. Koresawa and H. Suzuki, "Autonomous arrangement of cooling channels layout in injection molding," Proceedings of Annual Technical Conference '99 (ANTEC99), pp. 1073-1077, 1999.
-  M. Fukui and N. Kinoshita, "Developing a 'mole' electric discharge digging machining," Annuals of the CIRP, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 203-206, 1989.
-  S. Ichiyasu, A. Takeuchi, K. Watanabe, A. Goto, and T. Magara, "Machining curved tunnels for coolant with mole EDM," Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Die & Mould Technology,'' pp. 224-230, 1997.
-  T. Ishida and Y. Takeuchi, "Curved hole machining by means of electrical discharge phenomena and electrode feed mechanism," Proceedings of 2000 Japan-USA Symposium on Flexible Automation (JUSFA2000), Vol.2, pp. 1283-1288, 2000.
-  T. Ishida and Y. Takeuchi, "L-Shaped curved hole creation by means of electrical discharge machining and an electrode curved motion generator," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.19, No.12, pp. 260-265, 2002.
-  T. Ishida and Y. Takeuchi, "Creation of curved holes with various curvature by means of electrical discharge machining and slider crank chains," Proceedings of 38th CIRP International Seminar on Manufacturing Systems (CIRP-ISMS2005), CD-ROM Paper No.06007150, pp. 1-6, 2005.