Experimental Analysis of Chatter Vibration in End-Milling Using Laser Doppler Vibrometers
Heisaburo Nakagawa*, Yutaka Kurita*, Keiji Ogawa*, Yuji Sugiyama**, and Hideyasu Hasegawa***
*The University of Shiga Prefecture, 2500 Hassaka-cho, Hikone-shi, Shiga 522-8533, Japan
**Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd., 2288 Oshinohara, Yasu-shi, Shiga 520-2393, Japan
***Kawasaki Shipbuilding Corporation
1, Kawasaki-cho, Sakaide, Kagawa 762-8507, Japan
A problem has emerged during the end-milling of hardened steels: a high frequency chattering phenomenon. On the other hand, a laser Doppler vibrometer has recently been developed to observe such high frequency vibration phenomena. Therefore, we propose a new method of monitoring chattering in the end-milling of hardened steels using laser Doppler vibrometers. The chattering behaviors of the end-mill shank were measured by two laser Doppler vibrometers from the feed and radial directions at the same time during the end-milling of the hardened steel. The following conclusions were reached: (1) Two kinds of chatter vibrations were confirmed as vibration modes whose frequencies differed during high and low cutting speed conditions. (2) The chatter vibrations at the high cutting speeds clearly differed from regenerative chatter, which has only been researched so far, by accurate measurement of chatter vibration modes.
-  Y. Yamada et al., "Cutting Performance of Coated Carbide Tools for Hard Work Materials," Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, 60-577, pp. 2906-2910, 1994.
-  H. Nakagawa et al., "A Study on End-milling of Hardened Steels - Comparison of SKD11 and SKD61 -," J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, 67-5, pp. 834-838, 2001.
-  E. Budak et al., "Analytical Prediction of Chatter Stability in Milling - Part I: General Formulation," ASME J. Dyn. Syst., Meas., Control, 120, pp. 20-30, 1998.
-  Y. Altintas et al., "Analytical Prediction of Three Dimensional Chatter Stability in Milling," JSME Int. J., 44-3, pp. 717-723, 2001.
-  H. Tanaka et al., "Study on Regenerative Chatter Vibration in End Mill Operation (1st Report) - Theoretical Analysis of Chatter Stability Limit in Side Cutting -," J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, 62-8, pp. 1136-1140, 1996.
-  B. J. Stone et al., "The Effect on the Chatter Behavior of Machine Tools of Cutter with Different Helix Angles on Adjacent Teeth," Proc. of the International M. T. D. R. Conference, pp. 169-180, 1970.
-  H. Iwabe et al., "Study on Cutting Mechanism of Different Helix Angles End Mills - Geometrical Analysis of Cutting Process and Cutting Performance -," J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, 56-10, pp. 1889-1893, 1990.
-  K. Shirase et al., "Analysis and Suppression of Chatter Vibration in End Milling Operation (1st Report) - Analysis of Chatter Vibration for Irregular Tooth Pitch End Mill Using Time Domain Cutting Simulation," J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, 64-3, pp. 465-469, 1998.
-  H. Nakagawa et al., "High Precision Machining with Multi-flute End-mill tool on 5-Axis Controlled Machining Center - Achievement of Constant Cutting Force in Side milling by Controlling Axial Depth of Cut -," J. of the Japan Society of Precision Engineering, 69-3, pp. 385-389, 2003.
-  T. Hoshi, "Machining Chatter Phenomenon - Analysis and Action," Kogyo Chosakai Publishing, 1979.