Tool Life of Small Diameter Ball End Mill for High Speed Milling of Hardened Steel – Effects of the Machining Method and the Tool Materials –
Hiroyasu Iwabe and Kazufumi Enta
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University
8050, Ikarashi 2-nocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
We studied tool life, flank wear, and machined surface roughness in the high-speed milling of hardened steel on a small ball end mill using a high-speed milling machine. We found that: (1) Cutting edge flank wear increases in proportion to cutting length and the flank wear shape gradually has a resembalance to the shape of the actual cutting length. (2) Long tool life depends on stepdown pick-feed and down-milling conditions. (3) Surface roughness increases in proportion to cutting length, but a low surface roughness of 1.4 μm is obtainable for a 3,800 m cutting length in down-milling. (4) CBN tool flank wear is very low — at least 1/15 th that of carbide tools under down-milling conditions, and a surface roughness of 1.6 μm is obtainable for a 67.2 km cutting length. We verified the effectiveness of CBN tools in high-speed milling of hardened steel under cutting conditions.
-  H. Iwabe, K. Yamaguchi, K. Shimizu, and K. Nakanishi, "Study on Tool Life and Surface Roughness of High Speed Milling of Hardened Steel by Small Size Ball End Mill," Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Sereis C, Vol.69, No.687, pp. 3116-3123, 2003.
-  I. Takahashi, M. Anzai, and T. Nakagawa, "Tool Wear Characteristic of Small Diameter Ball End Mill on Ultra High Speed Milling at 1000000 min-1 Rotation Speed," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.65, No.6, pp. 867-871, 1999.
-  T. Ikada, I. Takahashi, T. Matsuoka, and T. Nakagawa, "Ultra High Speed Milling of Hardened Steel by Special Ball End Mill," Proceeding of Japan Society of Die and Mould Technology, pp. 128-129, 1992.
-  H. Sasahara, F. Mizuya, and M. Tsutsumi, "Effect of Oil-Mist Supply on Tool Wear at High-Speed Milling," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.1, pp. 80-84, 2000.
-  N. Narutaki, S. Usuki, M. Matsumoto, and K. shinohara, "Wear of CBN Tool in Cutting of Annealed Steel," Proceeding of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, pp. 903-904, March, 1996.
-  T. Nakai, "Cutting of Difficult-to-cut Materials by CBN or Diamond Tool," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.58, No.12, pp. 1953-1956, 1992.