Robotic Assistance for Peg-and-Hole Alignment by Mimicking Annular Solar Eclipse Process
Shouren Huang*1, Kenichi Murakami*2, Masatoshi Ishikawa*1,*3, and Yuji Yamakawa*4
*1Data Science Division, Information Technology Center, The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical and Biofunctional Systems, Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan.
*3Tokyo University of Science
1-3 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-8601, Japan
*4Interfaculty Initiative in Information Studies, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
This study focuses on robotic assistance for peg-and-hole alignment with micrometer-order clearance. The objective of the robotic assistance is to cooperate with a human operator based on a coarse-to-fine strategy in which the human operator conducts coarse alignment and the robotic assistance realizes fine alignment. Robotic-assisted fine alignment is achieved by mimicking the process toward annularity of an annular solar eclipse. The first principal axis of a specified image feature (we call it a eclipse feature) is calculated by subtracting the surfaces of a hole part (a small gear with an inner diameter of 1 mm) and a peg part (a shaft with a diameter of 0.95 mm). Accordingly, control strategy is developed to realize accurate alignment. Moreover, the effectiveness of the proposed method is verified by experimental evaluation.
-  R. K. Jain, S. Majumder, and A. Dutta, “Scara based peg-in-hole assembly using compliant ipmc micro gripper,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.61, No.3, pp. 297-311, 2013.
-  N. Dechev, W. L. Cleghorn, and J. K. Mills, “Microassembly of 3-d microstructures using a compliant, passive microgripper,” J. of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 176-189, April 2004.
-  D. E. Whitney, “Quasi-static assembly of compliantly supported rigid parts,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control, Vol.104, No.1, pp. 65-77, 1982.
-  I. Kim and D. Lim, “Active peg-in-hole of chamferless parts using force/moment sensor,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 948-953, 1999.
-  A. Ferreira, C. Cassier, and S. Hirai, “Automatic microassembly system assisted by vision servoing and virtual reality,” IEEE ASME Trans. Mechatron., Vol.9, No.2, pp. 321-333, 2004.
-  J. Wang, X. Tao, and H. Cho, “Microassembly of micro peg-and-hole using uncalibrated visual servoing method,” Precision Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 173-181, 2008.
-  R. J. Chang, C. Y. Lin, and P. S. Lin, “Visual-based automation of peg-in-hole microassembly process,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.133, pp. 1-12, 2011.
-  G. Morel, E. Malis, and S. Boudet, “Impedance based combination of visual and force control,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA1998), pp. 1743-1748, 1998.
-  Y. Zhou, B. J. Nelson, and B. Vikramaditya, “Fusing force and vision feedback for micromanipulation,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA1998), Vol.2, pp. 1220-1225, 1998.
-  Y. Tanaka, J. Kinugawa, Y. Sugahara, and K. Kosuge, “Motion planning with worker’s trajectory prediction for assembly task partner robot,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2012), pp. 1525-1532, 2012.
-  F. Jimenez, T. Yoshikawa, T. Furuhashi, and M. Kanoh, “Learning effect of collaborative learning between human and robot having emotion expression model,” 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 474-479, 2015.
-  J. T. C. Tan, F. Duan, R. Kato, and T. Arai, “Safety strategy for human-robot collaboration:design and development in cellular manufacturing,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.24, No.5-6, pp. 839-860, 2010.
-  A. Cherubini, R. Passama, A. Crosnier, A. Lasnier, and P. Fraisse, “Collaborative manufacturing with physical human-robot interaction,” Robot Comput-Integr. Manuf., Vol.40, pp. 1-13, 2016.
-  M. Bohan, D. S. McConnell, A. Chaparro, and S. G. Thompson, “The effects of visual magnification and physical movement scale on the manipulation of a tool with indirect vision,” J. of Experimental Psychology: Applied, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 33-44, 2021.
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, M. Ishii, and T. Matsuo, “Development of power assisting suit for assisting nurse labor,” JSME Int. J., Series C: Mechanical Systems, Machine Elements and Manufacturing, Vol.45, No.3, pp. 703-711, 2002.
-  C. Song, P. L. Gehlbach, and J. U. Kang, “Active tremor cancellation by a “smart” handheld vitreoretinal microsurgical tool using swept source optical coherence tomography,” Opt. Express, Vol.20, No.21, pp. 23414-23421, 2012.
-  M. M. Dalvand and B. Shirinzadeh, “Motion control analysis of a parallel robot assisted minimally invasive surgery/microsurgery system (pramiss),” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 318-327, 2013.
-  K. K. Tan and S. C. Ng, “Computer controlled piezo micromanipulation system for biomedical applications,” Engineering Science and Education J., Vol.10, No.6, pp. 249-256, 2001.
-  N. Ogawa, Y. Sakaguchi, A. Namiki, and M. Ishikawa, “Adaptive acquisition of dynamics matching in sensory-motor fusion system,” Electronics and Communications in Japan (Part III: Fundamental Electronic Science), Vol.89, No.7, pp. 19-30, 2006.
-  K. Ito, T. Sueishi, Y. Yamakawa, and M. Ishikawa, “Tracking and recognition of a human hand in dynamic motion for janken (rock-paper-scissors) robot,” 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE), pp. 891-896, 2016.
-  Y. Yamakawa, K. Kuno, and M. Ishikawa, “Human-robot cooperative task realization using high-speed robot hand system,” 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), pp. 281-286, 2015.
-  N. Bergström, S. Huang, Y. Yamakawa, T. Senoo, and M. Ishikawa, “Towards assistive human-robot micro manipulation,” 2016 IEEE-RAS 16th Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), pp. 1188-1195, 2016.
-  W. Tooyama, S. Huang, K. Murakami, Y. Yamakawa, and M. Ishikawa, “Development of an assistive system for position control of a human hand with high speed and high accuracy,” 2016 IEEE-RAS 16th Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), pp. 230-235, 2016.
-  O. Kojima, S. Huang, K. Murakami, M. Ishikawa, and Y. Yamakawa, “Human-robot interaction system for micromanipulation assistance,” 2018 The 44th Annual Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 3256-3261, 2018.
-  S. Huang, M. Ishikawa, and Y. Yamakawa, “A coarse-to-fine framework for accurate positioning under uncertainties – from autonomous robot to human-robot system,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., No.108, pp. 2929-2944, 2020.
-  S. Huang, M. Ishikawa, and Y. Yamakawa, “Human-robot collaboration based on dynamic compensation: from micro-manipulation to macro-manipulation,” 2018 The 44th Annual Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 603-604, 2018.
-  S. Huang, M. Ishikawa, and Y. Yamakawa, “An active assistant robotic system based on high-speed vision and haptic feedback for human-robot collaboration,” 2018 The 44th Annual Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 3256-3261, 2018.
-  S. Huang, K. Koyama, M. Ishikawa, and Y. Yamakawa, “Human-robot collaboration with force feedback utilizing bimanual coordination,” 2021 ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI’21 Companion), 2021.
-  I. T. Jolliffe and J. Cadima, “Principal component analysis: a review and recent developments,” Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, No.374, pp. 1-16, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.