Environmental Response Sensors Produced Using Bilayer-Type Organic Semiconductors
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
In this study, we developed environmental gas sensors based on bilayer-type organic semiconductors. The number of stacked molecular bilayers was controlled through a solution-based approach. In particular, single molecular bilayers (SMBs) were produced through a geometrical frustration method that can effectively suppress the multiple stacking of bilayers. The layer number-controlled films were utilized to form thin-film transistors (TFTs) to detect the moisture in the air. We revealed that the sensitivity was enhanced in the SMB-based TFTs compared with the TFTs with thicker active layers. These findings are expected to facilitate a new route for producing flexible and lightweight chemical sensors.
-  H. Matsuo, Y. Furusawa, M. Imanishi, S. Uchida, and K. Hayashi, “Optical Odor Imaging by Fluorescence Probes,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.24, No.1, pp. 47-54, 2012.
-  P. Lin and F. Yan, “Organic Thin-Film Transistors for Chemical and Biological Sensing,” Adv. Mater., Vol.24, pp. 34-51, 2012.
-  R. Kubota, Y. Sasaki, T. Minamiki, and T. Minami, “Chemical Sensing Platforms Based on Organic Thin-Film Transistors Functionalized with Artificial Receptors,” ACS Sens., Vol.4, pp. 2571-2587, 2019.
-  Q. Meng, F. Zhang, Y. Zang, D. Huang, Y. Zou, J. Liu, G. Zhao, Z. Wang, D. Ji, C. Di, W. Hu, and D. Zhu, “Solution-sheared ultrathin films for highly-sensitive ammonia detection using organic thin-film transistors,” J. of Mater. Chem. C, Vol.2, pp. 1264-1269, 2014.
-  B. Peng, S. Huang, Z. Zhou, and P. K. L. Chan, “Solution-Processed Monolayer Organic Crystals for High-Performance Field-Effect Transistors and Ultrasensitive Gas Sensors,” Adv. Funct. Mater., Vol.27, 1700999, 2017.
-  S. Arai, S. Inoue, T. Hamai, R. Kumai, and T. Hasegawa, “Semiconductive Single Molecular Bilayers Realized Using Geometrical Frustration,” Adv. Mater., Vol.30, 1707256, 2018.
-  S. Arai, K. Morita, J. Tsutsumi, S. Inoue, M. Tanaka, and T. Hasegawa, “Layered-Herringbone Polymorphs and Alkyl-Chain Ordering in Molecular Bilayer Organic Semiconductors,” Adv. Funct. Mater., Vol.30, 1906406, 2020.
-  S. Inoue, S. Shinamura, Y. Sadamitsu, S. Arai, S. Horiuchi, M. Yoneya, K. Takimiya, and T. Hasegawa, “Extended and Modulated Thienothiophenes for Thermally Durable and Solution-Processable Organic Semiconductors,” Chem. Mater., Vol.30, pp. 5050-5060, 2018.
-  G. Kitahara, S. Inoue, T. Higashino, M. Ikawa, T. Hayashi, S. Matsuoka, S. Arai, and T. Hasegawa, “Meniscus-controlled printing of single-crystal interfaces showing extremely sharp switching transistor operation,” Sci. Adv., Vol.6, eabc8847, 2020.
-  T. Hamai, S. Arai, H. Minemawari, S. Inoue, R. Kumai, and T. Hasegawa, “Tunneling and Origin of Large Access Resistance in Layered-Crystal Organic Transistors,” Phys. Rev. Appl., Vol.8, 054011, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.