Development and Control of Power-Assisted Lumbar Suit Based on Upper-Body Acceleration
Hiroshi Suzuki, Ayaka Sumoto, Takahiro Kitajima, Akinobu Kuwahara, and Takashi Yasuno
2-1 Minamijyousanjima-cho, Tokushima 770-8506, Japan
In this study, we propose a method to estimate the assistive timing requirements for a power-assisted lumbar suit based on upper-body acceleration. Our developed power-assisted suit combines of springs, wires, and an electrical motor to provide efficient assistance. The assistive torque provided by the suit was determined based on a digital human model. The assistive timing using the electrical motor was calculated from the upper-body acceleration measured using two internal accelerometers. Herein, we present the experimental results based on the myoelectricity of a muscle during lifting motions involving three participants acting as caregivers to elderly patients.
-  R. Nishimori, M. Arakida, and F. Shirai, “Low Back Pain Prevention and Problem Cognition in Special Nursing Home – Through Interviews with Management –,” J. of Community Health Nursing, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 68-74, 2007.
-  K. Funato, Y. Kenmotsu, R. Tasaki, T. Sakakibara, K. Kakihara, and K. Terashima, “Experimental Analysis and Anti-Sway Control of Jigiri Behavior in a Nursing Lift,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.4, pp. 615-624, 2020.
-  Y. Mori, R. Ikeura, and M. Ding, “Estimation of Care Receiver’s Position Based on Tactile Information for Transfer Assist Using Dual Arm Robot,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26 No.6, pp. 743-749, 2018
-  T. Mukai, S. Hirano, H. Nakashima, Y. Sakaida, and S. Guo, “Realization and Safety Measures of Patient Transfer by Nursing-Care Assistant Robot RIBA with Tactile Sensors,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.3, pp. 360-369, 2011.
-  H. Hara and Y. Sankai, “Development of HAL for Lumbar Support,” SICE & ISIS 2010, TH-D4-2, pp. 416-421, 2010.
-  K. Sano, E. Yagi, and M. Sato, “Development of a Wearable Assist Suit for Walking and Lifting-Up Motion Using Electric Motors,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.6, pp. 923-930, 2013.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of High Contractile Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle for Power Assist Device,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.24, No.1, pp. 150-157, 2012.
-  Y. Imamura, T. Tanaka, Y. Suzuki, K. Takizawa, and M. Yamanaka, “Analysis of Trunk Stabilization Effect by Passive Power-Assist Device,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26, No.6, pp. 791-798, 2014.
-  H. Kobayashi, “Wearable Power Assist System “Muscle Suit”,” J. of The Japan Institute of Electronics Packaging, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 384-388, 2016.
-  Y. T. Liao, T. Ishioka, K. Mishima, C. Kanda, K. Kodama, and E. Tanaka, “Development and Evaluation of a Close-Fitting Assistive Suit for Back and Arm Muscle – e.z.UP® –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.1, pp. 157-172, 2020.
-  A. Sumoto, H. Suzuki, A. Kuwahara, T. Kitajima, H. Takai, and T. Yasuno, “Mechanistic Influence Analysis of Power Assist Orthosis for Human Body Using Simple Digital Human Model,” 2018 RISP Int. Workshop on Nonlinear Circuits, Communications and Signal Processing, No.7AM2-3-4, pp. 596-599, March 7, 2018.
-  H. Lee, S. Nakazawa, H. Takai, A. Sumoto, H. Suzuki, T. Kitajima, A. Kuwahara, and T. Yasuno, “Development of Power Assisted Orthosis for Waist Joint Using Digital Human Model,” The Papers of Technical Meeting on “Control,” IEE Japan, CT-18-102-107, pp. 21-26, 2018.
-  T. Tsuji, T. Shibanoki, G. Nakamura, and A. Furui, “Development of Myoelectric RObotic/Prosthetic Hands with Cybernetic Control at the Biological Systems Engineering Laboratory, Hiroshima University,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.31, No.1, pp. 27-34, 2019.
-  T. Ando, J. Okamoto, M. Takahashi, and M. G. Fujie, “Response Evaluation of Rollover Recognition in Myoelectric Controlled Orthosis Using Pneumatic Rubber Muscle for Cancer Bone Metastasis Patient,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 302-309, 2011.
-  E. Yagi, M. Sato, K. Sano, T. Mitsui, and H. Mabuchi, “Verification tests of an electrically actuated power assist suit for walking and lifting motion,” Trans. of the JSME, Vol.81, No.830, 2015.
-  Japanese Industrial Standards, “Personal care robots – Part 1: Physical assistant robots for lumbar support,” JIS B 8456-1, p. 6, 2017.
-  T. Agui, H. Suzuki, A. M. Kassim, and T. Yasuno, “Design Method of Hip Joint Power Assist Orthosis Based on Dynamic Simulation of Human Motion,” 2016 RISP Int. Workshop on Nonlinear Circuits, Communications and Signal Processing, No.9PM2-3-4, pp. 779-782, March 9, 2016.
-  K. Ogawa, “Postures and movements that help nursing/caring – body mechanics learned from illustrations,” Tokyo Denki University Press, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  R. Sato, Y. Hamamoto, C. Hayashi, A. Matsumoto, M. Mizuno, and K. Okusaka, “A Study of BMI (Body Mass Index) and ADL (Activities of Daily Living) of Elderly Person with Care Needs,” The J. of Nursing Studies, National College of Nursing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 65-70, 2004.
-  O. Nitta, K. Yanagisawa, and H. Tomita, “Analysis of surface electromyographic findings of isometric contraction of Rectus Femoris and Vastus Medialis,” The J. of Tokyo Academy of Health Sciences, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 282-286, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.