Projection Screen with Wide-FOV and Motion Parallax Display for Teleoperation of Construction Machinery
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
The teleoperation of construction machinery has been introduced to mines and disaster sites. However, the work efficiency of teleoperations is lower than that of onboard operations owing to limitations in the viewing angle and insufficient depth information. To solve these problems and realize effective teleoperations, the Komatsu MIRAI Construction Equipment Cooperative Research Center is developing the next-generation teleoperation cockpit. In this study, we develop a display for teleoperations with a wide field-of-view, a portable projection screen, and a system that reproduces motion parallax, which is suitable for depth perception in the operating range of construction machinery.
-  K. Fujino, M. Moteki, A. Nishiyama, and T. Hashimoto, “Research on an operator’s skill in Unmanned Construction System,” Proc. of the 13th Symp. on Construction Robotics in Japan, pp. 69-74, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  T. Hatada, H. Sakata, and H. Kusaka, “Psychophysical analysis of the “sensation of reality” induced by a visual wide-field display,” SMPTE J., Vol.89, No.8, pp. 560-569, doi: 10.5594/J01582, 1980.
-  J. E. Cutting and P. M. Vishton, “Perceiving layout and knowing distances: the integration, relative potency, and contextual use of different information about depth,” W. Epstein and S. Rogers (Eds.), “Perception of Space and Motion,” Elsevier, pp. 69-117, doi: 10.1016/B978-012240530-3/50005-5, 1995.
-  H. Mizushina, I. Kanayama, Y. Masuda, and S. Suyama, “Importance of Visual Information at Change in Motion Direction on Depth Perception From Monocular Motion Parallax,” IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol.56, No.5, pp. 5637-5644, doi: 10.1109/TIA.2020.3000135, 2020.
-  K. Sumi and W. Yoshizaki, “DOKA ROBO2,” J. of JCMA, Vol.67, No.12, pp. 53-58, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  D. Kondo, H. Yoshinada, T. Tanimoto, and K. Kurashiki, “Motion Parallax Display System for Teleoperated Construction Machine,” The Abstracts of the Int. Conf. on Advanced Mechatronics (ICAM 2015), pp. 117-118, doi: 10.1299/jsmeicam.2015.6.117, 2015.
-  D. Kondo, T. Koike, H. Yoshinada, K. Kurashiki, R. Fukano, and T. Tanimoto, “Influence of Delay Time on Motion Parallax Display System for Remote Control,” Proc. of the 2015 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2P1-P06, doi: 10.1299/jsmermd.2015._2P1-P06_1, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  M. Kurokawa, M. Furukawa, D. Kondo, H. Ando, and T. Maeda, “Work efficiency for Remote Control with High Frame Rate,” Proc. of the 2017 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2A1-I08, doi: 10.1299/jsmermd.2017.2A1-I08, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  H. Heuer and D. A. Owens, “Vertical Gaze Direction and the Resting Posture of the Eyes,” Perception, Vol.18, Issue 3, pp. 363-377, doi: 10.1068/p180363, 1989.
-  D. Kondo and R. Kijima, “Proposal of a Free Form Projection Display Using the Principle of Duality Rendering,” Proc. of 8th Int. Conf. on Virtual Systems and MultiMedia, pp. 346-352, 2002.
-  K. Shinohara, T. Tanimoto, Y. Nanri, K. Kurashiki, D. Kondo, and H. Yoshinada, “Teleoperability Evaluation Test Platform for Future Construction Machineries,” The Abstracts of the Int. Conf. on advanced mechatronics (ICAM 2015), pp. 173-174, doi: 10.1299/jsmeicam.2015.6.173, 2015.
-  T. Tanimoto, R. Fukano, K. Shinohara, K. Kurashiki, D. Kondo, and H. Yoshinada, “Research on Superimposed Terrain Model for Teleoperation Work Efficiency,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.28, No.2, pp. 173-184, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2016.p0173, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.