300-N Class Convex-Based Telescopic Manipulator and Trial for 3-DOF Parallel Mechanism Robot
Takashi Kei Saito*, Kento Onodera*, Riku Seino*, Takashi Okawa*, and Yasushi Saito**
*Akita Prefectural University
84-4 Aza Ebinokuchi, Tsuchiya, Yurihonjo, Akita 015-0055, Japan
**KYB-YS Co., Ltd.
9165 Sakaki, Sakaki-machi, Hanishina-gun, Nagano 389-0688, Japan
We designed a new telescopic manipulator that uses a clustered elastic convex tape. The manipulator has an ultra-wide expansion range and toughness against mechanical stress. Compared to conventional linear actuators, our convex-type manipulators have high extension range and are very lightweight. Moreover, they are compact when rolled up. The telescopic manipulators designed in the previous study had insufficient output due to structural problems and were unstable. In this study, we report a Type-K telescopic manipulator mechanism (Makijaku-Ude Type-K), which is a redesigned manipulator that can be easily used with a 300-N class power, and applied the mechanism to a three degrees-of-freedom spatial parallel-mechanism robot.
-  H. A. Farrand, “Rule,” US Patent 1,402,589, Jan. 3, 1922.
-  W. Dubilier, “Collapsible Rod,” US Patent 2,130,993, Sep. 20, 1938.
-  A. H. Bohr et al., “Extensible and Retractable Member,” US Patent 3,213,573, Oct. 26, 1965.
-  D. S. Crouch, “Mars Viking surface sampler subsystem,” Proc. of the 25th Conf. on Remote Systems Technology, pp. 141-152, 1977.
-  T. Saito, “Manipulator mechanism,” PCT/JO2007/066233, Aug. 22, 2007.
-  T. Nakamura, Y. Akamatsu, and Y. Kusaka, “Development of Soft Manipulator with Variable Rheological Joints and Pneumatic Sensor for Collision with Environment,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.4, pp. 634-640, 2008.
-  N. Katsumata, M. Kaimori, M. Yamasaki, K. Higuchi, M. Natori, and H. Amakawa, “Deployment Characteristics of Braid Coated Bi-Convex Tape and Bi-SMA Convex Tape Booms for Deployable Membrane Structures,” J. Mechanics Engineering and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 52-62, 2014.
-  S. Seriani and P. Gallina, “A Storable Tubular Extendible Member (STEM) parallel robot: Modelization and evaluation,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.90, pp. 95-107, 2015.
-  K. Onodera, T. Kudo, T. Hashimoto, and T. K. Saito, “Ultrawide 6-axis Stewart Platform Machining Robot for Operation in Aircraft,” The Proc. of JSME Annual Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (Robomec), 2P1-C03, 2017.
-  P. Nanua, K. Waldron, and V. Murthy, “Direct kinematic solution of a stewart platform,” IEEE Trans. Robotics Automat., Vol.6, pp. 438-444, 1991.
-  K. Onodera, T. Okawa, and T. K. Saito, “Folding Convex Type Telescopic Manipulator for Linier Cylinder Substitute,” The Proc. of JSME Annual Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (Robomec), 1P2-H09, 2018.
-  K. Otsuki, S. Watanabe, S. Shigetakta, S. Kashiwazaki, and T. Saito, “Wide Range Telescopic Manipulator Mechanism by Aggregated Convex Tapes,” The Proc. of JSME Annual Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (Robomec), 2A1-N10, 2012.
-  V. E. Gough, “Contribution to discussion of papers on research in automobile stability, control and tyre performance,” Proc. of the Automotive Division of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 392-394, 1956.
-  D. Stewart, “A Platform with Six Degrees of Freedom,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.180, No.1, pp. 371-386, 1965.
-  K. Watanabe, T. Tanaka, J. Nango, and Y. Natsui, “Kinematic and Experimental Analysis of Three DOF Spatial Parallel Mechanisms Having Actuated Prismatic Joints,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.69, No.677, pp. 242-249, 2003.
-  D. J. Gonzalez and H. H. Asada, “Triple Scissor Extender: A 6-DOF Lifting and Positioning Robot,” 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 847-853, 2016.
-  F. Drigalski, L. E. Hafi, P. M. U. Eljuri, G. A. G. Ricardez, J. Takamatsu, and T. Ogasawara, “Vibration-Reducing End Effector for Automation of Drilling Tasks in Aircraft Manufacturing,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 2316-2321, 2017.
-  J. Arata, Y. Isogai, J. Sumida, M. Sakaguchi, R. Nakadate, S. Oguri, and M. Hashizume, “Energy-Saving High-Speed Pick-and-Place Robot Using In-Frame Parallel Spring,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.27, No.3, pp. 267-275, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.