Underwater Platform for Intelligent Robotics and its Application in Two Visual Tracking Systems
Yuya Nishida*, Takashi Sonoda*, Shinsuke Yasukawa**, Kazunori Nagano**, Mamoru Minami***, Kazuo Ishii*, and Tamaki Ura*
*Kyushu Institute of Technology
2-4 Hibikino, Kitakyushu-shi, Fukuoka 808-0196, Japan
**Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
***Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University
3-1 Tsushimanaka, Kita-ku, Okayama-shi, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
A hovering-type autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) capable of cruising at low altitudes and observing the seafloor using only mounted sensors and payloads was developed for sea-creature survey. The AUV has a local area network (LAN) interface for an additional payload that can acquire navigation data from the AUV and transmit the target value to the AUV. In the handling process of the state flow of an AUV, additional payloads can control the AUV position using the transmitted target value without checking the AUV condition. In the handling process of the state flow of an AUV, additional payloads can control the AUV position using the transmitted target value without checking the AUV condition. In this research, water tank tests and sea trials were performed using an AUV equipped with a visual tracking system developed in other laboratories. The experimental results proved that additional payload can control the AUV position with a standard deviation of 0.1 m.
-  C. E. Fitzgerald and K. M. Gillis, “Hydrothermal Manganese Oxide Deposits from Baby Bare Seamount in the Northeast Pacific Ocean,” Marine Geology, Vol.225, Issues 1-4, pp. 145-156, 2006.
-  S. Thatje, S. Hall, C. Hauton, C. Held, and P. Tyler, “Encounter of Lithodid Crab Paralomis Birsteini on the Continental Slope off Antarctica,” Sampled by ROV, Polar Biology, Vol.31, Issue 9, pp. 1143-1148, 2008.
-  H. Yoshida, S. Ishibashi, Y. Watanabe, T. Inoue, J. Tahara, T. Sawa, and H. Osawa, “The ABISMO Mud and Water Sampling ROV for Surveys at 11,000 m Depth,” Marine Technology Society J., Vol.43, No.5, pp. 87-96, 2009.
-  S. Kawagucci, J. Miyazaki, R. Nakajima, T. Nozaki, Y. Takaya, Y. Kato, T. Shibuya, U. Konno, Y. Nakaguchi, K. Hatada, H. Hiroyama, K. Fujikura, Y. Furushima, H. Yamamoto, T. Watsuji, J. Ishibashi, and K. Takai, “Post-drilling Changes in Fluid Discharge Pattern, Mineral Deposition, and Fluid Chemistry in the Iheya North Hydrothermal Field, Okinawa Trough,” Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, Vol.14, Issue 11, pp. 4774-4790, 2013.
-  J. Hashimoto, S. Ohta, T. Gamo, H. Chiba, T. Yamaguchi, S. Tsuchida, T. Okudaira, H. Watabe, T. Yamanaka, and M. Kitazawa, “First Hydrothermal Vent Communities from the Indian Ocean Discovered,” Zoological Science, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 717-721, 2001.
-  M. Grasmueck, G. P. Eberli, D. A. Viggiano, T. Correa, G. Rathwell, and J. Luo, “Autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) mapping reveals coral mound distribution, morphology, and oceanography in deep water of the Straits of Florida,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.33, Issue 23, L23616, 2006.
-  M. Johnson-Roverson, O. Pizarro, S. B. Williams, and I. Mahon, “Generation and visualization of large-scale three-dimensional reconstructions from underwater robotics surveys,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.27, Issue 1, pp. 21-51, 2009.
-  B. Thorton, A. Bodenmann, O. Pizarro, S. B. Williams, A. Friedman, R. Nakajima, K. Takai, K. Motoki, T. Watsuji, H. Hirayama, Y. Matsui, H. Watanabe, and T. Ura, “Biometric assessment of deep-sea vent megabenthic communities using multi-resolution 3D image reconstructions,” Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Vol.116, pp. 200-219, 2016.
-  Y. Nishida, T. Sonoda, S. Yasukawa, J. Ahn, K. Nagano, K. Ishii, and T. Ura, “Development of an autonomous underwater vehicle with human-aware robot navigation,” Procs. of IEEE/OTS OCEANS, 16506112, Monterey, 2016.
-  Y. Nishida, T. Ura, T. Nakatani, T. Sakamaki, J. Kojima, Y. Itoh, and K. Kim, “Autonomous Underwater Vehicle “Tuna-Sand” for Image Observation of the Seafloor at a Low Altitude,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 519-521, 2014.
-  Y. Nishida, T. Ura, T. Hamatsu, K. Nagahashi, S. Inaba, and T. Nakatani, “Resource Investigation for Kichiji Rockfish by Autonomous Underwater Vehicle in Kitami-Yamato Bank off Northern Japan,” ROBOMECH J., Vol.1, No.2, pp. 1-6, 2014.
-  A. Bodenmann, B. Thornton, and T. Ura, “3D Mapping of the Seafloor in Color Using a Single Camera: Benthicmapping Based on Video Recordings and Laser Profiling to Generate Colored 3D Reconstructions of the Seafloor,” Sea Technol., Vol.51, No.12, pp. 51-53, 2012.
-  B. Thornton, A. Asada, A.Bodenmann, M. Sagekar, and T. Ura, “Instruments and Methods for Acoustic and Visual Survey of Manganese Crusts,” J. of Oceanic Engineering, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 186-203, 2013.
-  W. Song, F. Yu, and M. Minami, “3D visual servoing by feedforward evolutionary recognition,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 739-755, 2010.
-  F. Yu, M. Minami, W. Song, and A. Yanou, “Eye-vergence visual servoing enhancing Lyapunov-stable trackability,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.18, No.1-2, pp. 27-35, 2013.
-  T. Sonoda, A. A. F. Nassiraei, I. Godler, T. Weerakoon, and K. Ishii, “Development of Hydraulic Underwater Manipulator for Deep-sea Survey AUV,” Procs. of ICRAOB, pp. 242-245, 2017.
-  T. Weerakoon, T. Sonoda, A. A. F. Nassiraei, I. Godler, and K. Ishii, “Underwater Manipulator for Sampling Mission with AUV in Dee-Sea,” Procs. of JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2P1-F11, 2017.
-  A. Jonghyun, S. Yasukawa, T. Sonoda, T. Ura, and K. Ishii, “Erratum to: Enhancement of Deep-sea Floor Image Obtained by an Underwater Vehicle and Its Evaluation by Crab Recognition,” J. of Marine Science and Technology, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 758-770, 2017.
-  L. Itti and C. Koch, “A saliency-based search mechanism for overt and covert shifts of visual attention,” Vision research, Vol.40, No.10, pp. 1489-1506.
-  A. Jonghyun, S. Yasukawa, T. Sonoda, Y. Nishida, K. Kazuo, and T. Ura, “Image Enhancement and Compression of Deep-sea Floor Image for Acoustic Transmission,” Proc. of MTS/IEEE OCEANS, CFP16OCF-ART, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.