Design of Vertebrae-Inspired Trunk Mechanism for Robust and Directive Quadruped Locomotion on Rough Terrain Without Requiring Sensing and Actuation
Takashi Takuma, Yoshiki Murata, and Wataru Kase
Osaka Institute of Technology
5-16-1 Omiya, Asahi-ku, Osaka 535-8585, Japan
-  Q. Cao, A. T. van Rijn, and I. Poulakakis, “On the control of gait transitions in quadrupedal running,” 2015 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 5136-5141, 2015.
-  U. Çulha and U. Saranli, “Quadrupedal bounding with an actuated spinal joint,” 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1392-1397, 2011.
-  R. Yamasaki, Y. Ambe, S. Aoi, and F. Matsuno, “Quadrupedal bounding with spring-damper body joint,” 2013 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 2345-2350, 2013.
-  S. Makita, D. Nishimura, and J. Furusho, “Development of horse-type quadruped robot (report2, experiments of trot gait by quadruped robot PONY),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 104-112, 2004.
-  K. Nakada, T. Asai, and Y. Amemiya, “Biologically-inspired locomotion controller for a quadruped walking robot: Analog ic implementation of a cpg-based controller,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 397-403, 2004.
-  J. G. Nichol, S. P. N. Singh, K. J. Waldron, III L. R. Palmer, and D. E. Orin, “System design of a quadrupedal galloping machine,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.10-11, pp. 1013-1027, 2004.
-  M. Raibert, K. Blankespoor, G. Nelson, R. Playter, and the BigDog Team, “Bigdog, the rough-terrain quadruped robot,” 17th World Congress The Int. Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC), pp. 10822-10825, 2008.
-  J. R. Rebula, P. D. Neuhaus, B. V. Bonnlander, M. J. Johnson, and J. E. Pratt, “A controller for the littledog quadruped walking on rough terrain,” 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1467-1473, 2007.
-  A. Soroewitz, L. Kuechler, A. Tuleu, M. Ajallooeian, M. D’Haene, R. Moeckel, and A. J. Ijspeert, “Oncilla robot – a light-weight bio-inspired quadruped robot for fast locomotion in rough terrain,” Fifth Int. Symposium on Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines, pp. 63-64, 2011.
-  Y. Fukuoka, H. Katabuchi, and H. Kimura, “Dynamic locomotion of quadruped tekken 3 & 4 using simple navigation,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 36-42, 2010.
-  C. Gehring, C. D. Bellicoso, S. Coros, M. Bloesch, P. Fankhauser, M. Hutter, and R. Siegwart, “Dynamic trotting on slopes for quadrupedal robots,” 2015 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 5129-5135, 2015.
-  Z. G. Zhang, H. Kimura, and Y. Fukuoka, “Self-stabilizing dynamics for a quadruped robot and extension toward running on rough terrain,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 3-12, 2007.
-  M. Ajallooeian, S. Pouya, A. Sproewitz, and A. J. Ijspeert, “Central pattern generators augmented with virtual model control for quadruped rough terrain locomotion,” 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 3321-3328, 2013.
-  U. Saranli, M. Buehler, and D. E. Koditschek, “RHex: A simple and highly mobile hexapod robot,” The Int. J. of robotics research, Vol.20, No.7, pp. 616-631, 2001.
-  X. Wei, C. Wang, Y. Long, and S. Wang, “The effect of spine on the bounding dynamic performance of legged system,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.29, No.15, pp. 973-987, 2015.
-  T. Takuma, M. Ikeda, and T. Masuda, “Facilitating multi-modal locomotion in a quadruped robot utilizing passive oscillation of the spine structure,” Proc. of the 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (IROS), pp. 4940-4945, 2010.
-  Q. Cao and I. Poulakakis, “Quadrupedal bouncing with a segmented flexible torso: passive stability and feedback control,” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, Vol.8, No.4, 046007, 2013.
-  S. H. Turlapati, M. Shah, S. P. Teja, A. Siravuru, S. V. Shah, and K. M. Krishna, “Stair climbing using a compliant modular robot,” 2015 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 3332-3339, 2015.
-  T. Takuma and W. Kase, “Robust and directive quadruped locomotion on rough terrain without requiring sensing and actuation,” Proc. of the 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), page SuD04.4, 2016.
-  P. R. Kraus and V. Kumar, “Compliant contact models for rigid body collisions,” Proc. of the 1997 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1382-1387, 1997.
-  R. D. Quinn, G. M. Nelson, R. J. Bachmann, D. A. Kingsley, J. T. Offi, T. J. Allen, and R. E. Ritzmann, “Parallel complementary strategies for implementing biological principles into mobile robots,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.22, No.3-4, pp. 169-186, 2003.
-  M. Hutter, C. D. Remy, M. A. Hoepflinger, and R. Siegwart, “Efficient and versatile locomotion with highly compliant legs,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 449-458, 2013.
-  R. Pfeifer, F. Iida, and G. Gómez, “Morphological computation for adaptive behavior and cognition,” Int. Congress Series, Vol.1291, pp. 22-29, 2006.
-  J. Aguilar, A. Lesov, K. Wiesenfeld, and D. I. Goldman, “Lift-off dynamics in a simple jumping robot,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.109, No.17, 174301, 2012.
-  S. Valentin and T. F. Licka, “Spinal motion and muscle activity during active trunk movements – comparing sheep and humans adopting upright and quadrupedal postures,” PLoS ONE, Vol.11, No.6, e0146362, 2016.