Real-Time Image Mosaicing System Using a High-Frame-Rate Video Sequence
Qingyi Gu, Sushil Raut, Ken-ichi Okumura, Tadayoshi Aoyama, Takeshi Takaki, and Idaku Ishii
Department of System Cybernetics, Hiroshima University
1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
In this paper, we propose a real-time image mosaicing system that uses a high-frame-rate video sequence. Our proposed system can mosaic 512 × 512 color images captured at 500 fps as a single synthesized panoramic image in real time by stitching the images based on their estimated frame-to-frame changes in displacement and orientation. In the system, feature point extraction is accelerated by implementing a parallel processing circuit module for Harris corner detection, and hundreds of selected feature points in the current frame can be simultaneously corresponded with those in their neighbor ranges in the previous frame, assuming that frame-to-frame image displacement becomes smaller in high-speed vision. The efficacy of our system for improved feature-based real-time image mosaicing at 500 fps was verified by implementing it on a field-programmable gate array (FPGA)-based high-speed vision platform and conducting several experiments: (1) capturing an indoor scene using a camera mounted on a fast-moving two-degrees-of-freedom active vision, (2) capturing an outdoor scene using a hand-held camera that was rapidly moved in a periodic fashion by hand.
-  R. Szeliskki, “Image alignment and stitching: A tutorial," Tech. Rep., MSR-TR-2004-92, Microsoft Research, 2006.
-  B. Zitova and J. Flusser, “Image registration methods: A survey," Image Vis. Comput., Vol.21, pp. 977-1000, 2003.
-  R. Szeliski and S. Kang, “Direct methods for visual scene reconstruction," Proc. IEEE Workshop on Representations of Visual Scenes, pp. 26-33, 1995.
-  H. S. Sawhney and R. Kumar, “True multi-image alignment and its application to mosaicing and lens distortion correction," IEEE Trans. Patt. Anal. Mach. Intelli., Vol.21, No.3, pp. 235-243, 1999.
-  H.-Y. Shum and R. Szeliski, “Systems and experiment paper: Construction of panoramic image Mosaics with global and local alignment," Int. J. Comput. Vis., Vol.36, No.2, pp. 101-130, 2000.
-  I. Zoghlami, O. Faugeras, and R. Deriche, “Using geometric corners to build a 2D mosaic from a set of images," Proc. Int. Conf. Comput. Vis. Patt. Recog., pp. 420-425, 1997.
-  P. McLauchlan and A. Jaenicke, “Image mosaicing using sequential bundle adjustment," Image Vis. Comput., Vol.20, No.9-10, pp. 751-759, 2002.
-  D. Capel and A. Zisserman, “Computer vision applied to super resolution," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 75-86, 2003.
-  M. Brown and D. G. Lowe, “Automatic panoramic image stitching using invariant features," Int. J. Comput. Vis., Vol.74, No.1, pp. 59-73, 2007.
-  J. Shi and C. Tomasi, “Good features to track," Proc. IEEE Conf. Comput. Vis. Patt. Recog., pp. 593-600, 1994.
-  D. G. Lowe, “Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints," Int. J. Comput. Vis., Vol.60, No.2, pp. 91-110, 2004.
-  M. Irani, P. Anandan, J. R. Bergen, R. Kumar, and S. Hsu, “Efficient representations of video sequences and their applications," Image Commu., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 327-351, 1996.
-  A. Bevilacqua and P. Azzari, “High-quality real time motion detection using ptz cameras," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Video and Signal Based Surveillance, p. 23, 2006.
-  A. Kelly, “Mobile robot localization from large-scale appearance mosaics," Int. J. Robotic Res.. Vol.19, No.11, pp. 1104-1125, 2000.
-  P. Azzari, L. Di Stefano, F. Tombari, and S. Mattoccia, “Markerless augmented reality using image mosaics," ICISP 2008, LNCS, Vol.5099. Springer, Heidelberg, 2008.
-  M. Kourogi, T. Kurata, J. Hoshino, and Y. Muraoka, “Real-time image mosaicing from a video sequence," Proc. Int. Conf. Image Proc., pp. 133-137, 1999.
-  J. Civera, A. J. Davison, J. A. Magallon, and J. M. M. Montiel, “Drift-free real-time sequential mosaicing," Int. J. Comput. Vis., Vol.81, pp. 128-137, 2009.
-  T. Botterill, S. Mills, and R. Green, “Real-time aerial image mosaicing," Proc. Int. Conf. Image Vis. Comput. New Zealand, pp. 1-8, 2010.
-  R. H. C. de Souza, M. Okutomi, and A. Torii, “Real-time image mosaicing using non-rigid registration," Proc. 5th Pacific Rim Conf. on Advances in Image and Video Technology, pp. 311-322, 2011.
-  T. Kuwa, Y. Watanabe, T. Komuro, and M. Ishikawa, “Wide range image sensing using a thrown-up camera," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia & Expo, pp. 878-883. 2010.
-  Y. Watanabe, T. Komuro, and M. Ishikawa, “955-fps real-time shape measurement of a moving/deforming object using high-speed vision for numerous-point analysis," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 3192-3197, 2007.
-  S. Hirai, M. Zakoji, A. Masubuchi, and T. Tsuboi, “Realtime FPGA-based vision system," J. Robot. Mechat., Vol.17, pp. 401-409, 2005.
-  I. Ishii, R. Sukenobe, T. Taniguchi, and K. Yamamoto, “Development of high-speed and real-time vision platform, H³ Vision," Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelli. Rob. Sys., pp. 3671-3678, 2009.
-  I. Ishii, T. Taniguchi, K. Yamamoto, and T. Takaki, “High-frame-rate optical flow system," IEEE Trans. Circ. Sys. Video Tech., Vol.22, No.1, pp. 105-112, 2012.
-  I. Ishii, T. Tatebe, Q. Gu, Y. Moriue, T. Takaki, and K. Tajima, “2000 fps real-time vision system with high-frame-rate video recording,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 1536-1541, 2010.
-  I. Ishii, T. Tatebe, Q. Gu, and T. Takaki, “Color-histogram-based tracking at 2000 fps," J. Electronic Imaging, Vol.21, 013010-1, 2012.
-  Q. Gu, T. Takaki, and I. Ishii, “Fast FPGA-based multi-object feature extraction," IEEE Trans. Circ. Sys. Video Tech., Vol.23, No.1, pp. 30-45, 2013.
-  C. Harris and M. Stephens, “A combined corner and edge detector," Proc. the 4th Alvey Vis. Conf., pp. 147-151, 1988.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.