Recent Trends and Issues of Volcanic Disaster Response with Mobile Robots
Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-1 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Typically, volcanic eruptions cause heavy damage in its vicinity area, and the eruption often continues for years. During this period, a restricted area is set up in the vicinity of the crater, in order to ensure the safety of people. Therefore, it is important for mitigation of volcanic disaster to realize observation of the eruption and mudslide-control construction based on teleoperation-type robotic technology. To promote development of such technologies, various types of volcano exploration robots have been researched and developed in Japan and overseas. With regard to volcanic observations, this paper presents conventional methods for volcanic teleoperated observation, and discusses technical issues and research topics for the future technologies, particularly, mobile robotics and flying robotics. With regard to mudslide-control construction, the paper describes the teleoperated construction system that has been developed at Fugendake of Mount Unzen, and discusses technical problems in current unmanned construction system to be solved in the near future.
-  M. Koyama, “Mechanical Coupling between Volcanic Unrests and Large Earthquakes – A Review of Examples and Mechanisms,” J. of Geography, Vol.111, No.2, pp. 222-232, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  S. Nakada and T. Fujii, “Preliminary report on the activity at Unzen Volcano (Japan), November 1990-November 1991,” J. of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.54, pp. 310-333, 1993.
-  T. Ohsumi, H. Asahara, and E. Shimokawa, “Investigation of Characteristics with Temporal Change in Fourier Spectrum in a Flow Condition Using Vibration Sensors: Case Study Along Nojiri River,” in the Proc. of the 4th Domestic Symposium on landslide disaster, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  A. Sato, “The R-Max helicopter UAV,” Technical report, DTIC Document, 2003.
-  J. E. Bares and D. S. Wettergreen, “Dante II: Technical Description, Results, and Lessons Learned,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.18, No.7, pp. 621-649, 1999.
-  D. Caltabiano, D. Ciancitto, and G. Muscato, “Experimental Results on a Traction Control Algorithm for Mobile Robots in Volcano Environment,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4375-4380, 2004.
-  A. Goto, H. Taniguchi, and M. Ichihara, “Development of unmanned Mobile Observatory for Volcanic Explosions “MOVE” and hurdles for its operation,” The J. of the Japanese Society for Planetary Sciences (You-Sei-Jin), Vol.21, No.2, pp. 103-110, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  E. Tomoda, H. Iwasaki, and H. Okamoto, “Unmanned construction system in Akamatsu-river #9,”Magazine of Japan Construction Machinery and Construction, Vol.8, pp. 14-20, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  M. Furusawa, “Innovation history of Unmanned construction system – Application of information-oriented construction,” NETISplus, Vol.2, pp. 16-23, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nagatani, H. Kinoshita, K. Yoshida, K. Tadakuma, and E. Koyanagi, “Development of leg-track hybrid locomotion to traverse loose slopes and irregular terrain,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.28, Issue 6, pp. 950-960, Nov. 2011.
-  K. Nagatani, K. Akiyama, G. Yamauchi, H. Otsuka, T. Nakamura, S. Kiribayashi, K. Yoshida, Y. Hada, S. Yuta, K. Fujino, T. Izu, and R. Mackay, “Volcanic Ash Observation in Active Volcano Areas using Teleoperated Mobile Robots – Introduction to Our Robotic-Volcano-Observation Project and Field Experiments –,” Proc. of the 2013 IEEE Int.Workshop on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics, 2013.
-  K. Nagatani, S. Kiribayashi, Y. Okada, K. Otake, K. Yoshida, S. Tadokoro, T. Nishimura, T. Yoshida, E. Koyanagi, M. Fukushima, and S. Kawatsuma, “Emergency Response to the Nuclear Accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plants using Mobile Rescue Robots,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.30, Issue 1, pp. 44-63, Jan. 2013.
-  K. Sato, T. Nomura, S. Matsuzawa, and H. Iizuka, “Metamaterial techniques for automotive applications,” PIERS Proc., Hangzhou, China, pp. 1122-1125, 2008.
- [a] The council for information-oriented construction promotion, “A strategy of Information-oriented construction,” (in Japanese).
http://www.mlit.go.jp/common/000993021.pdf [Accessed July 9, 2014]
Supporting Online Materials: