Telerobotic Control System to Enhance Rescue Operations for Arm-Equipped Tracked Vehicle HELIOS IX
Ryuichi Hodoshima*, Koji Ueda**, Hiroaki Ishida**,
Michele Guarnieri***, Edwardo F. Fukushima**, and Shigeo Hirose**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Saitama University, 255 Shimo-Okubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama-shi, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
**Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
***HiBot Corporation, Meguro Daiichi Hanatani Bldg. 801, 2-18-3 Shimo-Meguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0064, Japan
This paper focuses on a telerobotic system in which an operator executes tasks by operating an arm-equipped tracked vehicle, HELIOS IX. It is necessary to develop an assisting sensor system, teleoperation system, and semi-autonomous robot motions to enhance teleoperationability, because HELIOS IX has many DOFs and unique mechanisms. To realize this development, the authors discuss the required specifications of the sensors, teleoperation system, and semi-autonomous motion planning. First, the sensor system for assistance and teleoperation system are described. Next, terrain-adaptive, tracked locomotion with no additional sensors is explained and verified through terrain traversing experiments. Then, the authors discuss the telerobotic system for the door opening task, a system based on Shared Autonomy, and demonstrate that HELIOS IX can successfully perform the door opening task. Finally, we describe what we have learned and the problems involved in the development of the telerobotic system of the HELIOS IX rescue robot.
Michele Guarnieri, Edwardo F. Fukushima, and Shigeo Hirose, “Telerobotic Control System to Enhance Rescue Operations for Arm-Equipped Tracked Vehicle HELIOS IX,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26, No.1, pp. 17-33, 2014.
-  S. Tadokoro, T. Takamori, S. Tsurutani, and K. Osuka, “On Robotic Rescue Facilities for Disastrous Earthquakes – From the Great Hanshin-Awaji (Kobe) Earthquakes,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 46-56, 1997.
-  K. Ito, Z. Yang, K. Saijo, K. Hirotsune, A. Gofuku, and F. Matsuno, “A rescue robot system for collecting information designed for ease of use – a proposal of a rescue systems concept,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 221-248, 2005.
-  M. Ishikura, K. Wakana, E. Takeuchi, M. Konyo, and S. Tadokoro, “Design and Running Performance Evaluation of Inchworm Drive with Frictional Anisotropy for Active Scope Camera,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 517-530, 2012.
-  Y. Mori, H. Tsukagoshi, and A. Kitagawa, “Fluid Powered Ropeway: Self-Propelled Probe Sliding Along Flexible Tube,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 215-224, 2011.
-  H. Schempf, E. Mutschler, C. Piepgras, J. Warwick, B. Chemel, S. Boehmke, W. Crowley, R. Fuchs, and J. Guyot, “Pandora: Autonomous Urban Robotic Reconnaissance System,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2315-2321, 1999.
-  K. Tadakuma, “Connected Two Units Crawlers to Realize Automatic Multiple Configurations as Search and Rescue Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 106-115, 2008.
-  H. Mano, K. Kon, N. Sato, M. Ito, H. Mizumoto, K. Goto, R. Chatterjee, and F.Matsuno, “Treaded Control System for Rescue Robots in Indoor Environment,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 1836-1843, 2009.
-  K. Ohno, S. Morimura, S. Tadokoro, E. Koyanagi, and T. Yoshida, “Semi-autonomous control system of rescue crawler robot having flippers for getting over unknown-steps,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3012-3018, 2007.
-  H. Miyanaka, N. Wada, T. Kamegawa, N. Sato, T. Shingo, H. Igarashi, and F. Matsuno, “Development of an Unit Type Robot “KOHGA2” with Stuck Avoidance Ability,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3877-3882, 2007.
-  K. Osuka and H. Kitajima, “Development of Mobile Inspection Robot for Rescue Activities: MOIRA,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3373-3377, 2003.
-  S. H. Munkeby, D. Jones, G. Bugg, and K. Smith, “Applications for the MATILDA robotic platform,” Proc. of the SPIE, Vol.4715, pp. 206-213, 2002.
-  B. Yamauchi, “PackBot: a versatile platform for military robotics,” Proc. of the SPIE, Vol.5422, pp. 228-237, 2004.
-  E. Rohmer, K. 0hno, T. Yoshida, K. Nagatani, E. Konayagi, and S. Tadokoro, “Integration of a Sub-Crawlers’ Autonomous Control in Quince Highly Mobile Rescue Robot,” Proc. of IEEE/SICE Int. Symposium on System Integration, pp. 78-83, 2010.
-  M. Guarnieri, P. Debenest, T. Inoh, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS VII: a New Tracked Arm-Equipped Vehicle,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.5, pp. 508-515, 2003.
-  M. Guarnieri, T. Inoh, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS VIII: Toward Practical Robots for Search and Rescue Operations,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 675-694, 2008.
-  K. Ueda, M. Guarnieri, T. Inoh, P. Debenest, R. Hodoshima, E. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “Development of HELIOS IX: An Arm-equipped Tracked Vehicle,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1031-1040, 2011.
-  S. Hirai, T. Sato, and T. Matsui, “Intelligent and cooperative control of telerobot tasks,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 51-56, 1992.
-  K. Nagatani and S. Yuta, “Designing a behavior of a mobile robot equipped with a manipulator to open and pass through a door,” Robotics and autonomous systems, Vol.17, No.1-2, pp. 53-64, 1996.
-  A. Jain and C. Kemp, “Behaviors for robust door opening and doorway traversal with a force-sensing mobile manipulator,” RSS Manipulation Workshop: Intelligence in Human Environments, 2008.
-  L. Petersson, D. Austin, and D. Kragic, “High-level control of a mobile manipulator for door opening,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.3, pp. 2333-2338, 2000.
-  J. Kang, C. Hwang, and G. Park, “A Simple Control Method for Opening a Door with Mobile Manipulator,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and System, pp. 1593-1597, 2003.
-  Y. Okada, K. Nagatani, K. Yoshida, S. Tadokoro, T. Yoshida, and E. Koyanagi, “Shared autonomy system for tracked vehicles on rough terrain based on continuous three-dimensional terrain scanning,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.28, No.6, pp. 875-893, 2011.
-  S. Hirose, S. Aoki, and J. Miyake, “Development of Terrain Adaptive Quadru-Track Vehicle HELIOS-II,” J. of Robotics Society Japan, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 145-153, 1992.
-  K. Kosuge, K. Furuta, and T. Yokoyama, “Virtual internal model following control of robot arms,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 1549-1554, 1987.
-  K. Nagatani and S. Yuta, “An experiment on opening-door-behavior by an autonomous mobile robot with a manipulator,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 45-50, 1995.
-  R. Rusu, W. Meeussen, S. Chitta, and M. Beetz, “Laser-based perception for door and handle identification,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 1-8, 2009.
-  K. Oka and K. Shibanuma, “Development of radiation-proof robot,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.6, pp. 493-496, 2002.
-  K. Nagata, Y. Wakita, and E. Ono, “Task instruction by putting task information in work space,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 305-310, 2007.
-  K. Khokar, K. Reed, R. Alqasemi, and R. Dubey, “Laser-assisted telerobotic control for enhancing manipulation capabilities of persons with disabilities,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5139-5144, 2010.
-  S. Kobayashi, Y. Kobayashi, Y. Yamamoto, T.Watasue, Y. Ohtsubo, T. Inoue, M. Yasuda, and T. Takamori, “Development of a door opening system on rescue robot for search “UMRS-2007”,” Proc. of SICE Annual Conf. 2008, pp. 2062-2065, 2008.
-  R. Hodoshima, M. Guarnieri, R. Kurazume, H. Masuda, T. Inoh, P. Debenest, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS Tracked Robot Team: Mobile RT System for Special Urban Search and Rescue Operations,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 1041-1054, 2011.