Control of Liver Tissue Reconstitution in Mesenteric Leaves: The Effect of Preculture on Mouse Hepatic Progenitor Cells Prior to Transplantation
Nobuhiko Kojima and Yasuyuki Sakai
Institute of Industrial Science (IIS), The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
-  A. M. Cameron, R. M. Ghobrial, H. Yersiz, D. G. Farmer, G. S. Lipshutz, S. A. Gordon, M. Zimmerman, J. Hong, T. E. Collins, J. Gornbein, F. Amersi, M. Weaver, C. Cao, T. Chen, J. R. Hiatt, and R. W. Busuttil, “Optimal utilization of donor grafts with extended criteria: a single-center experience in over 1000 liver transplants,” Ann. Surg., Vol.243, No.6, pp. 748-753, discussion 753-745, 2006.
-  T. Katsuda, T. Teratani, T. Ochiya, and Y. Sakai, “Transplantation of a fetal liver cell-loaded hyaluronic acid sponge onto the mesentery recovers a Wilson’s disease model rat,” “J. Biochem., Vol.148, No.3, pp. 281-288, 2010.
-  S. Uyama, P. M. Kaufmann, T. Takeda, and J. P. Vacanti, “Delivery of whole liver-equivalent hepatocyte mass using polymer devices and hepatotrophic stimulation,” Transplantation, Vol.55, No.4, pp. 932-935, 1993.
-  J. P. Vacanti, M. A. Morse, W. M. Saltzman, A. J. Domb, A. Perez-Atayde, and R. Langer, “Selective cell transplantation using bioabsorbable artificial polymers as matrices,” J. Pediatr. Surg., Vol.23, No.1, Pt.2, pp. 3-9, 1988.
-  K. Ohashi, K. Tatsumi, R. Utoh, S. Takagi,M. Shima, and T. Okano, “Engineering liver tissues under the kidney capsule site provides therapeutic effects to hemophilia B mice,” Cell Transplant, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 807-813, 2010.
-  K. Ohashi, J. M. Waugh, M. D. Dake, T. Yokoyama, H. Kuge, Y. Nakajima, M. Yamanouchi, H. Naka, A. Yoshioka, and M. A. Kay, “Liver tissue engineering at extrahepatic sites in mice as a potential new therapy for genetic liver diseases,” Hepatology, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 132-140, 2005.
-  C. Ricordi, P. E. Lacy, M. P. Callery, P. W. Park, and M. W. Flye, “Trophic factors from pancreatic islets in combined hepatocyte-islet allografts enhance hepatocellular survival,” Surgery, Vol.105, No.2, Pt.1, pp. 218-223, 1989.
-  M. Kusano and M. Mito, “Observations on the fine structure of long-survived isolated hepatocytes inoculated into rat spleen,” Gastroenterology, Vol.82, No.4, pp. 616-628, 1982.
-  M. Mito, H. Ebata, M. Kusano, T. Onishi, T. Saito, and S. Sakamoto, “Morphology and function of isolated hepatocytes transplanted into rat spleen,” Transplantation, Vol.28, No.6, pp. 499-505, 1979.
-  S. C. Strom, R. A. Fisher, M. T. Thompson, A. J. Sanyal, P. E. Cole, J. M. Ham, and M. P. Posner, “Hepatocyte transplantation as a bridge to orthotopic liver transplantation in terminal liver failure,” Transplantation, Vol.63, No.4, pp. 559-569, 1997.
-  T. Yamamoto, N. Navarro-Alvarez, A. Soto-Gutierrez, T. Yuasa, M. Iwamuro, Y. Kubota, M. Seita, H. Kawamoto, S. M. Javed, E. Kondo, H. Noguchi, S. Kobayashi, S. Nakaji, and N. Kobayashi, “Treatment of acute liver failure in mice by hepatocyte xenotransplantation,” Cell Transplant, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 799-806, 2010.
-  A. A. Demetriou, S. M. Levenson, P. M. Novikoff, A. B. Novikoff, N. R. Chowdhury, J. Whiting, A. Reisner, and J. R. Chowdhury, “Survival, organization, and function of microcarrier-attached hepatocytes transplanted in rats,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol.83, No.19, pp. 7475-7479, 1986.
-  J. Mei, A. Sgroi, G. Mai, R. Baertschiger, C. Gonelle-Gispert, V. Serre-Beinier, P. Morel, and L. H. Buhler, “Improved survival of fulminant liver failure by transplantation of microencapsulated cryopreserved porcine hepatocytes in mice,” Cell Transplant, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 101-110, 2009.
-  K. Ohashi, F. Park, and M. A. Kay, “Hepatocyte transplantation: clinical and experimental application,” J.Mol. Med., Vol.79, No.11, pp. 617-630, 2001.
-  A. Kamiya, T. Kinoshita, Y. Ito, T. Matsui, Y. Morikawa, E. Senba, K. Nakashima, T. Taga, K. Yoshida, T. Kishimoto, and A. Miyajima, “Fetal liver development requires a paracrine action of oncostatin M through the gp130 signal transducer,” EMBO J., Vol.18, No.8, pp. 2127-2136, 1999.
-  A. Kamiya, T. Kinoshita, and A. Miyajima, “Oncostatin Mand hepatocyte growth factor induce hepatic maturation via distinct signaling pathways,” FEBS Lett., Vol.492, No.1-2, pp. 90-94, 2001.
-  A. Kamiya, N. Kojima, T. Kinoshita, Y. Sakai, and A. Miyaijma, “Maturation of fetal hepatocytes in vitro by extracellular matrices and oncostatin M: induction of tryptophan oxygenase,” Hepatology, Vol.35, No.6, pp. 1351-1359, 2002.
-  N. Kojima, T. Kinoshita, A. Kamiya, K. Nakamura, K. Nakashima, T. Taga, and A. Miyajima, “Cell density-dependent regulation of hepatic development by a gp130-independent pathway,” Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., Vol.277, No.1, pp. 152-158, 2000.
-  N. Tanimizu, M. Nishikawa, H. Saito, T. Tsujimura, and A. Miyajima, “Isolation of hepatoblasts based on the expression of Dlk/Pref-1,” J. Cell Sci., Vol.116, Pt.9, pp. 1775-1786, 2003.
-  N. Tanimizu, H. Saito, K. Mostov, and A. Miyajima, “Long-term culture of hepatic progenitors derived from mouse Dlk+ hepatoblasts,” J. Cell Sci., Vol.117, Pt.26, pp. 6425-6434, 2004.
-  J. Jiang, N. Kojima, L. Guo, K. Naruse,M.Makuuchi, A.Miyajima, W. Yan, and Y. Sakai, “Efficacy of engineered liver tissue based on poly-L-lactic acid scaffolds and fetal mouse liver cells cultured with oncostatin M, nicotinamide, and dimethyl sulfoxide,” Tissue Eng., Vol.10, No.9-10, pp. 1577-1586, 2004.
-  J. Jiang, N. Kojima, T. Kinoshita, A. Miyajima, W. Yan, and Y. Sakai, “Cultivation of fetal liver cells in a three-dimensional poly-L-lactic acid scaffold in the presence of oncostatin M,” Cell Transplant, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 403-406, 2002.
-  Y. Sakai, J. Jiang, N. Kojima, T. Kinoshita, and A. Miyajima, “Enhanced in vitro maturation of fetal mouse liver cells with oncostatin M, nicotinamide, and dimethyl sulfoxide,” Cell Transplant, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 435-441, 2002.
-  Y. S. Nam, J. J. Yoon, and T. G. Park, “A novel fabrication method of macroporous biodegradable polymer scaffolds using gas foaming salt as a porogen additive,” J. Biomed. Mater. Res., Vol.53, No.1, pp. 1-7, 2000.
-  A. Suzuki, Y. Zheng, R. Kondo, M. Kusakabe, Y. Takada, K. Fukao, H. Nakauchi, and H. Taniguchi, “Flow-cytometric separation and enrichment of hepatic progenitor cells in the developing mouse liver,” Hepatology, Vol.32, No.6, pp. 1230-1239, 2000.
-  S. Brill, I. Zvibel, and L. M. Reid, “Maturation-dependent changes in the regulation of liver-specific gene expression in embryonal versus adult primary liver cultures,” Differentiation, Vol.59, No.2, pp. 95-102, 1995.
-  F. Lemaigre and K. S. Zaret, “Liver development update: new embryo models, cell lineage control, and morphogenesis,” Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev., Vol.14, No.5, pp. 582-590, 2004.
-  R. Zhao and S. A. Duncan, “Embryonic development of the liver,” Hepatology, Vol.41, No.5, pp. 956-967, 2005.
-  A. Banas, G. Quinn, Y. Yamamoto, T. Teratani, and T. Ochiya, “Stem cells into liver – basic research and potential clinical applications,” Adv. Exp. Med. Biol., Vol.585, pp. 3-17, 2006.
-  A. Banas, Y. Yamamoto, T. Teratani, and T. Ochiya, “Stem cell plasticity: learning from hepatogenic differentiation strategies,” Dev. Dyn., Vol.236, No.12, pp. 3228-3241, 2007.
-  K. Takahashi, K. Tanabe, M. Ohnuki, M. Narita, T. Ichisaka, K. Tomoda, and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors,” Cell, Vol.131, No.5, pp. 861-872, 2007.
-  K. Takahashi and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors,” Cell, Vol.126, No.4, pp. 663-676, 2006.
-  H. Liu, Z. Ye, Y. Kim, S. Sharkis, and Y. Y. Jang, “Generation of endoderm-derived human induced pluripotent stem cells from primary hepatocytes,” Hepatology, Vol.51, No.5, pp. 1810-1819, 2010.
-  S. T. Rashid, S. Corbineau, N. Hannan, S. J. Marciniak, E. Miranda, G. Alexander, I. Huang-Doran, J. Griffin, L. Ahrlund-Richter, J. Skepper, R. Semple, A. Weber, D. A. Lomas, and L. Vallier, “Modeling inherited metabolic disorders of the liver using human induced pluripotent stem cells,” J. Clin. Invest., Vol.120, No.9, pp. 3127-3136, 2010.
-  K. Si-Tayeb, F. K. Noto, M. Nagaoka, J. Li, M. A. Battle, C. Duris, P. E. North, S. Dalton, and S. A. Duncan, “Highly efficient generation of human hepatocyte-like cells from induced pluripotent stem cells,” Hepatology, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 297-305, 2010.
-  Z. Song, J. Cai, Y. Liu, D. Zhao, J. Yong, S. Duo, X. Song, Y. Guo, Y. Zhao, H. Qin, X. Yin, C. Wu, J. Che, S. Lu, M. Ding, and H. Deng, “Efficient generation of hepatocyte-like cells from human induced pluripotent stem cells,” Cell Res., Vol.19, No.11, pp. 1233-1242, 2009.
-  H. Gai, D. M. Nguyen, Y. J. Moon, J. R. Aguila, L. M. Fink, D. C. Ward, and Y. Ma, “Generation of murine hepatic lineage cells from induced pluripotent stem cells,” Differentiation, Vol.79, No.3, pp. 171-181, 2010.
-  M. Iwamuro, T. Komaki, Y. Kubota, M. Seita, H. Kawamoto, T. Yuasa, J. M. Shahid, R. A. Hassan, W. A. Hassan, S. Nakaji, Y. Nishikawa, E. Kondo, K. Yamamoto, I. J. Fox, and N. Kobayashi, “Hepatic differentiation of mouse iPS cells in vitro,” Cell Transplant, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 841-847, 2010.
-  W. Li, D. Wang, J. Qin, C. Liu, Q. Zhang, X. Zhang, X. Yu, B. T. Lahn, F. F. Mao, and A. P. Xiang, “Generation of functional hepatocytes from mouse induced pluripotent stem cells,” J. Cell Physiol., Vol.222, No.3, pp. 492-501, 2010.
-  P. Sancho-Bru, P. Roelandt, N. Narain, K. Pauwelyn, T. Notelaers, T. Shimizu, M. Ott, and C. Verfaillie, “Directed differentiation of murine-induced pluripotent stem cells to functional hepatocyte-like cells,” J. Hepatol., Vol.54, No.1, pp. 98-107, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.