A High-Throughput Device for Patterned Differentiation of Embryoid Bodies
Xiaoming He*,**, Hiroshi Kimura*,**,***, and Teruo Fujii*,**
*Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**JST CREST, Tokyo, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tokai University, 4-1-1 Kitakaname, Hiratsuka, Kanagawa 259-1292, Japan
-  K.Matsuura et al., “Creation of mouse embryonic stem cell-derived cardiac cell sheets,” Biomaterials, Vol.32, pp. 7355-7362, 2011.
-  H.-W. Wu, C.-C. Lin, and G.-B. Lee, “Stem cells in microfluidics,” Biomicrofluidics, Vol.5, 013401, 2011.
-  M. F. Pera and P. P. L. Tam, “Extrinsic regulation of pluripotent stem cells,” Nature, Vol.465, pp. 713-720, 2010.
-  J. El-Ali, P. K. Sorger, and K. F. Jensen, “Cells on chips,” Nature, Vol.442, pp. 403-411, 2006.
-  I. Meyvantsson and D. J. Beebe, “Cell Culture Models in Microfluidic Systems,” Annual Review of Analytic Chemistry, Vol.1, pp. 423-449, 2008.
-  J. Kawada, H. Kimura, H. Akutsu, Y. Sakai, and T. Fujii, “Spatiotemporally controlled delivery of soluble factors for stem cell differentiation,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.12, pp. 4508-4515, 2012.
-  W.-T. Fung, A. Beyzavi, P. Abgrall, N.-T. Nguyen, and H.-Y. Li, “Microfluidic platform for controlling the differentiation of embryoid bodies,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.9, pp. 2591-2595, 2009.
-  J. M. Karp et al., “Controlling size, shape and homogeneity of embryoid bodies using poly (ethylene glycol) microwells,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.7, pp. 786-794, 2007.
-  J. Park et al., “Microfabrication-based modulation of embryonic stem cell differentiation,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.7, pp. 1018-1028, 2007.
-  Y. Torisawa et al., “Efficient formation of uniform-sized embryoid bodies using a compartmentalized microchannel device,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.7, pp. 770-776, 2007.
-  E. Kang, Y. Y. Choi, Y. Jun, B. G. Chung, and S.-H. Lee, “Development of a multi-layer microfluidic array chip to culture and replate uniform-sized embryoid bodies without manual cell retrieval,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.10, pp. 2651-2654, 2010.
-  M. S. Kim et al., “Microfabricated embryonic stem cell divider for large-scale propagation of human embryonic stem cells,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.7, pp. 513-515, 2007.
-  C. Lochovsky, S. Yasotharan, and A. Gunther, “Bubbles no more: in-plane trapping and removal of bubbles in microfluidic devices,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.12, pp. 595-601, 2012.
-  F. Lugli and F. Zerbetto, “An introduction to bubble dynamics,” Physical chemistry Chemical Physics, Vol.9, pp. 2447-2456, 2007.
-  Y.-C. Toh and J. Voldman, “Fluid shear stress primes mouse embryonic stem cells for differentiation in a self-renewing environment via heparan sulfate proteoglycans transduction,” FASEB J., Vol.25, pp. 1208-1217, 2011.
-  K. Yamamoto et al., “Fluid shear stress induces differentiation of Flk-1-positive embryonic stem cells into vascular endothelial cells in vitro,” Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol., Vol.288, pp. 1915-1924, 2005.
-  E. Y. L. Fok and P. W. Zandstra, “Shear-Controlled Single-Step Mouse Embryonic Stem Cell Expansion and Embryoid Body–Based Differentiation,” Stem Cells, Vol.23, pp. 1333-1342, 2005.
-  W. Zheng, Z. Wang, W. Zhang, and X. Jiang, “A simple PDMSbased microfluidic channel design that removes bubbles for longterm on-chip culture of mammalian cells,” Lab on a chip, Vol.10, pp. 2906-2910, 2010.
-  S. A. Khan and S. Duraiswamy, “Controlling bubbles using bubbles-microfluidic synthesis of ultra-small gold nanocrystals with gas-evolving reducing agents,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.12, pp. 1807-1812, 2012.
-  A. R. Abate and D. A. Weitz, “Air-bubble-triggered drop formation in microfluidics,” Lab on a Chip, Vol.11, pp. 1713-1716, 2011.
-  A. P. Kotula and S. L. Anna, “Probing timescales for colloidal particle adsorption using slug bubbles in rectangular microchannels,” Soft Matter, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.