Contacting Surface-Transfer Control for Reconfigurable Wall-Climbing Robot Gunryu III
Woosub Lee*,** and Shigeo Hirose*
*Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ohokayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Center for Bionics, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, 39-1 Hawolgok, Sungbuk, Seoul 136-791, Korea
-  J. B. Mohamed, M. Z. Khaled, and W. S. Derek, “Development of a Multi-Arm Mobile Robot for Nuclear Decommissioning Tasks,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotics Systems, Vol.4, No.4 pp. 387-406, 2007.
-  S. Yamamoto, “Development of inspection robot for nuclear power plant,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Ottawa, Canada, Vol.2, pp. 1559-1566, 1992.
-  H. Kim, D. Kim, H. Yang, K. Lee, K. Seo, D. Chang, and J. Kim, “Development of aWall-climbing robot using a tracked wheel mechanism,” J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol.22, pp. 1490-1498, 2008.
-  A. Nishi, “A Biped Walking Robot Capable of Moving on A Vertical Wall,” Mechatronics, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 543-554, 1992.
-  S. Wu, M. Li, S. Xiao, and Y. Li, “A Wireless Distributed Wall Climbing Robotic System for Reconnaissance Purpose,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, Luoyang, China, pp. 1308-1312, 2006.
-  J. Xiao, J. Z. Xiao, N. Xi, and R. Mukherjee, “Fuzzy Controller for Wall-Climbing Microrobots,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 466-479, 2004.
-  Y. Li, M. Li, and L. Sun, “Design and Passable Ability of Transitions Analysis of a Six Legged Wall-Climbing Robot,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, Harbin, China, pp. 800-804, 2007.
-  J. Xiao, A. Sadegh, M. Elliott, A. Calle, A. Persad, and H. Chiu, “Design of Mobile Robots with Wall Climbing Capability,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Monterey, California, USA, pp. 438-443, 2005.
-  Y. Ota, T. Huga, and K. Yoneda, “Deformation Compensation for Continuous Force control of a Wall Climbing Quadruped with Reduced-DOF,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 468-474, 2006.
-  M. Murphy and M. Sitti, “Waalbot: An Agile Small-Scale Wall-Climbing Robot Utilizing Dry Elastomer Adhesives,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 330-338, 2007.
-  T. Seo and M. Sitti, “Tank-Like Module-Based Climbing Robot Using Passive Compliant Joints,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 397-408, 2013.
-  S. Kim, M. Spenko, S. Trujillo, B. Heyneman, D. Santos, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Smooth Vertical Surface Climbing With Directional Adhesion,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 65-74, 2008.
-  M. Suzuki, S. Kitai, and S. Hirose, “Basic systematic Experiments and New Type Child Unit of Anchor Climber: Swarm Type Wall Climbing Robot System,” 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Pasadena, CA, USA, pp. 3034-3039, 2008.
-  K. Nagaya, T. Yoshino, M. Katayama, M. Murakami, and Y. Ando, “Wireless Piping Inspection Vehicle Using Magnetic Adsorption Force,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 472-479, 2012.
-  A. H. Slocum, S. Awtar, and J. Hart, “Magnebots – a magnetic wheels based overhead transportation concept,” Proc. of the 2nd IFAC Conf. on Mechatronics Systems, Berkeley, USA, 2002.
-  W. Shen, J. Gu, and Y. Shen, “Proposed Wall Climbing Robot with Permanent Magnetic Tracks for Inspecting Oil Tanks,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, Niagara Falls, Canada, pp. 2072-2077, 2005.
-  M. Hirai, M. Suzuki, and S. Hirose, “Development of wall climbing robot equipped with magnet units which can adjust their adhesive force depending on wall surface,” JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, Okayama, Japan, pp. 1P1-O06, 2011 (in Japaness).
-  T. Fukuda, H. Hosoki, and M. Uemura, “Rubber gas actuator driven by hydrogen storage alloy for in-pipe inspection mobile robot with flexible structure,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, Vol.3, pp. 1847-1852, 1989.
-  H. Yamada and S. Hirose, “Development of practical 3-dimensional active cord mechanism ACM-R4,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.3, p. 17, 2006.
-  S. Hirose, T. Shirasu, and E. F. Fukushima, “Proposal For Cooperative Robot ‘Gunryu’ Composed of Autonomous Segments,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.17, pp. 107-118, 1996.
-  M. Guarnieri, I. Takao, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “HELIOS VIII: Toward Practical Robots for Search and Rescue Operations,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 675-694, 2008.
-  W. Lee, M. Hirai, and S. Hirose, “Gunryu III: Reconfigurable Magnetic Wall Climbing Robot for Decommissioning of Nuclear Reactor,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.27, No.16, 2013 (in press).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.