Control and Development of Cylindrical Mobile Robot
Tetsuro Hirano, Masato Ishikawa, and Koichi Osuka
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Mobile robots are often exposed to various hazardous situations such as wet or dusty environments. However, it is easy for robots whose components are totally covered with a rigid shell to travel in such environments. For these robots, rolling is an effective way of locomotion. In this study, we focused on a rolling robot with a cylindrical shell to operate in such environments. We analyzed and developed the robot utilizing its interesting geometrical properties and established a control strategy for static locomotion.
-  M. Ishikawa, T. Kato, Y. Sugimoto, K. Osuka, and Y. Sankai, “Tripedal Walking Robot with Fixed Coxa Driven by Periodic Rocking,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2012.
-  A. Koshiyama and K. Yamafuji, “Design and Control of an All-Direction Steering Type Mobile Robot,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 411-419, 1993.
-  Y. Nakamura, S. Shimoda, and S. Shoji, “Mobility of a Microgravity Rover using Internal Electro-Magnetic Levitation,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2000.
-  V. Kaznov and M. Seeman, “Outdoor Navigation with a Spherical Amphibious Robot,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2010.
-  M. Ishikawa, R. Kitayoshi, and T. Sugie, “Volvot: a Spherical Mobile Robot with Eccentric Twin Rotors,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, 2011.
-  Y. Xu and Y. Ou, “Control of Single Wheel Robot,” Springer, 2005.
-  P. Ciestlak, T. Buratowski, T. Uhl, and M. Giergiel, “The monowheel robot with dynamic stabilization,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.59, pp. 611-619, 2011.
-  T. Mitarai and K. Ono, “Attitude Control of a Rhönrad by Internal Mass Motion,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Int. J., Series C, Vol.49, No.4, pp. 1011-1017, 2006.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.