Cellular Force Measurement Using a Nanometric-Probe-Integrated Microfluidic Chip with a Displacement Reduction Mechanism
Shinya Sakuma and Fumihito Arai
Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
-  M. E. Fauver, D. L. Dunaway, D. H. Lilienfeld, H. G. Craighead, and G. H. Pollack, “Microfabricated cantilevers for measurement of subcellular and molecular forces,” IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.45, No.7, pp. 891-898, 1998.
-  B. Wacogne, C. Pieralli, C. Roux, and T. Gharbi, “Measuring the mechanical behaviour of human oocytes with a very simple SU-8 micro-tool,” Biomed Microdevices, Vol.10, pp. 411-419, 2008.
-  M. Nakajima, M. R. Ahmad, S. Kojima, M. Homma, and T. Fukuda, “Local stiffness measurements of C. elegans by buckling nanoprobes inside an environmental SEM,” Proc of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4695-4700, 2009.
-  M. Gauthier and E. Piat, “An electromagnetic micromanipulation system for single-cell manipulation,” J. of Micromechatronics, Vol.2, pp. 87-119, 2004.
-  T. Wakayama, A. C. F. Perry, M. Zuccotti, K. R. Johnson, and R. Yanagimachi, “Full-term development of mice from enucleated oocytes injected with cumulus cell nuclei,” Nature, Vol.394, pp. 369-374, 1998.
-  Y. Murayama, C. E. Constantinou, and S. Omata, “Micromechanical sensing platform for the characterization of the elastic properties of the ovum via uniaxial measurement,” J. Biomechanics, Vol.37, pp. 67-72, 2004.
-  Y. Sun, K. T. Wan, K. P. Roberts, J. C. Bischof, and B. J. Nelson, “Mechanical property characterization of mouse zona pellucida,” IEEE Trans. on Nanobioscience, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 279-286, 2003.
-  G. Song, Y. Ju, H. Soyama, T. Ohashi, and M. Sat, “Regulation of cyclic longitudinal mechanical stretch on proliferation of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells,” MCB, Vol.090, No.1, pp. 1-10, 2008.
-  M. Papi, L. Sylla, T. Parasassi, R. Brunelli, M. Monaci, G. Maulucci, M. Missori, G. Arcovito, F. Ursini, and M. D. Spirito, “Evidence of elastic to plastic transition in the zona pellucida of oocytes using atomic force spectroscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.94, No.153902, pp. 1-3, 2009.
-  F. Arai, M. Ogawa, and T. Fukuda, “Selective manipulation of a microbe in a microchannel using a teleoperated laser scanning manipulator and dielectrophoresis,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 343-345, 1999.
-  K. Onda and F. Arai, “Multi-beam bilateral teleoperation of holographic optical tweezers accelerated by general-purpose GPU,” Optics Express, Vol.20, Issue 4, pp. 3642-3653, 2012.
-  C. X.Wang, L.Wang, S. J. McQueen-Mason, J. Pritchard, and C. R. Thomas, “pH and expansion action on single suspension-cultured tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) cells,” J. Plant. Res., Vol.121, pp. 527-534, 2008.
-  G. A. Mensing, T. M. Pearce, M. D. Graham, and D. J. Beebe, “An externally driven magnetic microstirrer,” Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. London A, Math. Phys. Eng. Sci., Vol.362, No.1818, pp. 1059-1068, 2004.
-  K. S. Ryu, K. Shaikh, E. Goluch, Z. Fan, and C. Liu, “Micro magnetic stir-bar mixer integrated with parylene microfluidic channels,” Lab Chip, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 608-613, Dec. 2004.
-  W. C. Jackson, H. D. Tran, M. J. O’Brien, E. Rabinovich, and G. P. Lopez, “Rapid prototyping of active microfluidic components based on magnetically modified elastomeric materials,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Microelectron. Nanometer Struct., Vol.19, No.2, pp. 596-599, 2001.
-  M. Barbic, J. J. Mock, A. P. Gray, and S. Schultz, “Electromagnetic micromotor for microfluidics applications,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.79, No.9, pp. 1399-1401, 2001.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, K. Onda, and F. Arai, “Powerful actuation of magnetized microtools by focused magnetic field for particle sorting in a chip,” Biomed Microdevices, Vol.10, pp. 411-419, 2008.
-  J. J. Abbott, K. E. Peyer, M. C. Lagomarsino, L. Zhang, L. Dong, I. K. Kaliakatsos, and B. J. Nelson, “How Should Microrobots Swim?,” Int. J. Rob. Res., Vol.28, pp. 1434-1447, 2009.
-  J. Atencia and D. J. Beebe, “Magnetically-driven biomimetic micro pumping using vortices,” Lab Chip, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 598-602.
-  A.-L. Gassner, M. Abonnenc, H.-X. Chen, J. Morandini, J. Josserand, J. S. Rossier, J.-M. Busnel, and H. H. Girault, “Magnetic forces produced by rectangular permanent magnets in static microsystems,” Lab Chip, Vol.9, No.16, pp. 2356-2363, 2009.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, K. Onda, and F. Arai, “Biocompatible polymeric magnetically driven microtool for particle sorting,” J. Micro-Nano Mechatron., Vol.4, No.1/2, pp. 49-57, Nov. 2008.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, Y. Kihara, and F. Arai, “Fabrication and Application of 3D Magnetically Driven Microtools,” J. Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 350-357, 2010.
-  M. Roper, R. Dreyfus, J. Baudry, M. Fermigier, J. Bibette, and H. A. Stone, “On the dynamics of magnetically driven elastic filaments,” J. Fluid Mech., Vol.554, pp. 167-190, 2006.
-  L. Zhang, K. E. Peyer, and B. J. Nelson, “Artificial Bacterial Flagella for Micromanipulation,” Lab Chip, Vol.10, pp. 2203-2215, 2010.
-  N. Inomata, T. Mizunuma, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Omnidirectional actuation of magnetically driven microtool for cutting of oocyte in a chip,” J.Micro electromechanical systems, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 383-388, 2011.
-  M. Hagiwara, T. Kawahara, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Driving method of microtool by horizontally arranged permanent magnets for single cell manipulation,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.97, No.013701, pp. 1-3, 2010.
-  M. Hagiwara, T. Kawahara, Y. Yamanishi, T. Masuda, L. Feng, and F. Arai, “On-Chip magnetically actuated robot with ultrasonic vibration for single cell manipulations,” Lab on a chip, Vol.11, pp. 2049-2054, 2011.
-  M. Hagiwara, T. Kawahara, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Precise Control of Magnetically Driven Microtools for Enucleation of Oocytes in a Microfluidic Chip,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.25, No.8, pp. 991-1005, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.