Smart Home Network System Integration with RT Middleware for Embedded Controller
Kenichi Ohara, Tamio Tanikawa, Mitsuhiro Toyoda,
Hiroyuki Nakamoto, Masato Iijima, Yoshimasa Endo,
Toru Takahashi, Takeshi Sakamoto, Tetsuo Kotoku,
Kohtaro Ohba, and Tatsuo Arai
Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
General-purpose robots have been constructed by a central system managing all robot elements by using a single high performance controller. Through advances in semiconductor technology, however, robot system developers can choose several types of robot designs, such as distributed arrangement in a house environment. Robot systems, e.g., environmental robots, are an important topic in robotics. Standardized communications and device specifications are important in actually utilizing such robot system. A userfriendly framework is also important. In this paper, we propose RT middleware for an embedded controller, which is based on standardized specifications in the OMG (Object Management Group). We also introduce reference hardware for developed RT middleware. Last, the HEMS (Home Energy Management System) is shown as an example system using developed middleware.
-  J. H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Intelligent Space – concepts and contents –,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 265-280, 2002.
-  T. Sato, T. Harada, and T. Mori, “Environment-type robot system “Robotic Room” featured by behavior media, behavior contents, and behavior adaptation,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 529-534, 2004.
-  K. Ohara, K. Ohba, B. K. Kim, T. Tanikawa, S.Hirai, andK. Tanie, “Ubiquitous Robotics with Ubiquitous Functions Activate Module,” Proc. of Second Int. Workshop on Networked Sensing Systems, pp. 97-102, 2005.
-  S. Sugano and Y. Shirai, “Robot Design and Environment Design – Waseda Robot House Project –,” Proc. of SICE-ICASE2006, pp. 31-34, 2006.
-  K. Cory et al., “The Aware Home: A Living Laboratory for Ubiquitous Computing Research,” Proc. of the Second Int. Workshop on Cooperative Buildings, pp. 191-198, 1999.
-  S. Matsumoto, “Echonet: A Home Network Standard,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 88-92, 2010.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W. K. Yoon, “RTmiddleware: Distributed component middleware for rt (robot technology),” Proc. of 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp.3555-3560, 2005.
-  N. Ando, K. Ohara, T. Suzuki, and K. Ohba, “RTC-Lite: Lightweight RT-Component for Distributed Embedded Systems,” SICE J. of Control, Measurement, and System Integration (SICE JCMSI), Vol.2, No.6, pp. 328-333, 2009.
-  Y. Ishiguro, M. Tanaka, M. Mizukawa, T. Yoshimi, and Y. Ando, “Design of the Redundant RTC-CANopen Component,” Proc. of SICE Annual Conf. 2010, pp. 2812-2817, 2010.
- [a] Documents Associated with Robotic Technology Component (RTC), Version 1.0.
- [b] Sec Robot Cite (in Japanese).
Supporting Online Materials:
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.