Development of 3D Scanning System Using Automatic Guiding Total Station
Ken Endou*, Takafumi Ikenoya*, and Ryo Kurazume**
*Institute of Technology, Tokyu Construction Co., Ltd., 3062-1 Tana, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 252-0244, Japan
**Kyushu University, 744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan
Techniques for creating 3D shape model are expected to be applied to as-built management for structures under construction. However, common techniques currently widely used, still have lacks in usability and accuracy, hence still haven’t reached the stage of actual use in the field. Due to the above circumstance, the authors have developed a 3D tunnel shape scanning system that uses a moving platform and auto tracking total station. The system provides improved usability and accuracy. Using the developed system, we have carried out a verification experiment in a mock tunnel, and we confirmed the possibility of real-time evaluation and the system’s measuring accuracy under actual conditions. We also carried out measurements on three actual tunnel sites. We confirmed that it is fully capable of measurements not only in favorable environments but also in harsh environments, such as in tunnels that are under construction.
-  M. Shiozaki, F. Ando, and T. Okamoto, “Application example of 3D laser scanner to tunnel construction management,” J. of Japan Construction Machinary and Construction Association, No.737, 2007.
-  H. Nakano, “Measurement of tunnel shape by 3D laser scanner,” Technical report of Shikoku, Vol.10, No.20, 2011.
-  F. Lemy, S. Yong, and T. Schulz, “A case study of monitoring tunnel wall displacement using laser scanning technology,” The 10th IAEG International Congress, IAEG2006, 2006.
-  J. B. Decker and J. E. Dove, “Laser Scanning Techniques in Devil’s Slide Tunnels,” F. Tononm (Ed.), Laser and Photogrammetric Methods for Rock Tunnel Characterization Worlshop, 42nd US Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2008.
-  D.-J. Seo, J. C. Lee, Y.-D. Lee, Y.-H. Lee, and D.-Y. Mun, “Development of Cross Section Management System in Tunnel Using Terrestrial Laser Scanning Technique,” The 21st ISPRS Congress: Silk Road for Information from Imagery, 2008.
-  K. Ishikawa, Y. Amano, T. Hashizume, J. Takiguchi, and N. Kajiwara, “A Mobile Mapping System for Precise Road Line Localization Using a Single Camera and 3D Road Model,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.2, 2007.
-  K. Ishikawa, J. Takiguchi, Y. Amano, T. Hashizume, and T. Fujishima, “Tunnel Cross-Section Measurement System Using a Mobile Mapping System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.2, 2009.
-  T. Ikenoya, K. Endou, R. Kurazume, and Y. Koga, “Measurement of tunnel shape by 3D measurement system,” Japan Society of Civil Engineering 2011 Annual Meeting, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.