Efficient Scooping of Rocks by Autonomous Controlled Wheel Loader
Hisashi Osumi*1, Tomoya Uehara*2, Naoto Okada*2, Takuya Fujiwara*3, and Shigeru Sarata*4
*Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University, 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
*2Canon Corp., Japan
*3Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Chuo University, Japan
*4University of Tsukuba, Japan
We propose a method for the efficient scooping of sediment by a wheel loader. We performed experiments to verify the effectiveness of the proposed method. First, in order to calculate the energy required for the scooping operation, we derived a model of the reaction force that is generated on the bucket. We verified the validity of the model by experiments. We then used the reaction force model to determine the optimal trajectory for the bucket. A mechanical simulator was used to verify the trajectory. Although experimental results showed the unexpected effects of sediment that settled inside the bucket, we obtained results that reflect theoretical values.
-  H. Oda, K. Obata, and A. Fujioka, “Unmanned Construction System of Civil Engineering,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.18, No.7, pp. 923-927, 2000.
-  H. Oshima, T. One, H. Tamaki, and S. Takasugi, “Automation of Loading and Hauling Work in Mining and Quarry,” KOMATSU TECHNICAL REPORT, Vol.43, No.1, pp. 27-39, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  H. Osumi, “Automation of Loading Operation by Wheel Loader – Abstract of Yamazumi Project –,” Construction Machinery and Eqauipment, Japan Industrial Publishing, Vol.42, No.3, pp. 42-47, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  N. Koyachi, S. Sarata, and K. Sugawara, “Scoop and Loading Execution by the Autonomous Wheel Loader “Yamazumi-4” – Task Control and Path Following Control –,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.26, No.6, pp. 514-521, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  A. Hemami, “Force analysis in the scooping/loading operation of an LHD Loader,” Proc. MineMechanization and Automation, Almgren, Kumar & Vaganas (Eds.), pp. 415-424, 1993.
-  H. Zhang, K. Sato, and K. Itakura, “Strategy, Trajectory Generation and Control for Scooping – Study on implementing machine intelligence into wheel loader (2nd Report) –,” Shigen-to-Sozai, Vol.117, pp. 947-954, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  H. Takahashi, “Analysis on the Resistive Forces Acting on the Bucket of a Load-Haul-Dump Machine and a Wheel Loader in the Scooping Task,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 97-114, 1999.
-  Y. Takahashi, R. Yasuhara, O. Kanai, H. Osumi, and S. Sarata, “Development of Bucket Scooping Mechanism for Analysis of Reaction Force against Rock Piles,” Proc. 23rd Int. Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, pp. 476-481, 2006.
-  F. Oka, “Soil Mechanics,” Asakura Publishing, 2003 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.