MR-Safe Pneumatic Rotation Stepping Actuator
Hiroyuki Sajima, Hiroki Kamiuchi, Kenta Kuwana,
Takeyoshi Dohi, and Ken Masamune
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan
-  K. Masamune, E. Kobayashi, Y. Matsutani, M. Suzuki, T. Dohi, H. Iseki, and K. Takahara, “Development of an MRI-compatible needle insertion manipulator for stereotactic neurosurgery,” J. of Image Guided Surgery, Vol.1, Issue 4, pp. 242-248, 1995.
-  G. S. Fischer, I. Iordachita, C. Csoma, J. Tokuda, S. P. DiMaio, C. M. Tempany, N. Hata, and G. Fichtinger, “MRI-Compatible Pneumatic Robot for Transperineal Prostate Needle Placement,” Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Trans. on, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 295-305, 2008.
-  D. Stoianovici, D. Song, D. Petrisor, D. Ursu, D. Mazilu, M. Mutener, M. Schar, and A. Parriciu, ““MRI Stealth” robot for prostate interventions,” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 241-248, 2007.
-  I. Bricault, N. Zemiti, E. Jouniaux, C. Fouard, E. Taillant, F. Dorandeu, and P. Cinquin, “Light puncture robot for CT and MRI interventions: designing a new robot architecture to perform abdominal and thoracic punctures,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, Vol.27, Issue 3, pp. 42-50, 2008.
-  N. Zemiti, I. Bricault, C. Fouard, B. Sanchez, and P. Cinquin, “LPR: A CT and MR-Compatible Puncture Robot to Enhance Accuracy and Safety of Image-Guided Interventions,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 306-315, 2008.
-  H. Sajima, I. Sato, H. Yamashita, T. Dohi, and K. Masamune, “Two-DOF non-metal manipulator with pneumatic stepping actuators for needle puncturing inside open-type MRI,” Proc. of World Automation Congress, pp. 1-6, 2010.
-  E. Taillant, J. C. Avila-Vilchis, C. Allegrini, I. Bricaulta, and P. Cinquin, “CT and MRI Compatible Light Puncture Robot: Architecral Design and First Experiments,” Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, Lecture Note in Computer Science, Vol.3217, pp. 145-152, 2007.
-  K. Chinzei, S. K.Warfield, N. Hata, C.M. C. Tempany, F. A. Jolesz, and R. Kikinis, “Planning, simulation and assistance with intraoperative MRI,” Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies, Vol.12, No.1-2, pp. 59-64, 2003.
-  K. Masamune, F. Ohara, K. Matsumiya, H. Liao, M. Hashizume, and T. Dohi, “MRI Compatible Robot for Needle Placement Therapy with Accurate Registration,” World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, IFMBE Proc., Vol.14, Part 18, pp. 3056-3059, 2007.
-  M. Hashizume, “MRI-guided laparoscopic and robotic surgery for malignancies,” Int. J. of Clinical Oncology, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 94-98, 2007.
-  G. R. Sutherland, I. Latour, and A. D. Greer, “Integrating an Image-Guided Robot with Intraoperative MRI,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, Vol.27, Issue 3, pp. 59-65, 2008.
-  D. Louw, T. Fielding, P. B. Mcbeth, D. Gregoris, P. Newhook, and G. Sutherland, “Surgical Robotics: A Review and neurosurgical Prototype Development,” Neurosurgery, Vol.54, Issue 3, pp. 525-537, 2004.
-  Y. Koseki, T.Washio, K. Chinzei, and H. Iseki, “Endoscope Manipulator for Trans-nasal Neurosurgery, Optimized for and Compatible to Vertical Field Open MRI,” Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, Lecture Note in Computer Science, Vol.2488, pp. 114-121, 2002.
-  A. M. Hamed, Z. T. H. Tse, I. Young, B. L. Davies, and M. Lamperth, “Applying tactile sensing with piezoelectric materials for minimally invasive surgery and magnetic-resonance-guided interventions,” J. of Engineering inMedicine, Vol.223, No.1, pp. 99-110, 2009.
-  I. Sato, A. Funakubo, T. Dohi, and K. Masamune, “EMC design of MR-compatible needle guiding a manipulator for 0.2 T open-type MRI,” Int. J. of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Vol.3, Supplement 1, pp. 304-305, 2008.
-  “ASTM F2119 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of MR Image Artifacts from Passive Implants,” ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2001.
-  “ASTM F2503 Standard Practice for Marking Medical Devices and Other Items for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance Environment,” ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2005.
-  D. Stoianocivi, A. Patriciu, D. Petrisor, D. Mazilu, and L. Kavoussi, “A New Type of Motor: Pneumatic Step Motor,” IEEE-ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.12, Issue 1, pp. 98-106, 2007.
-  K. Suzumori, T. Hashimoto, K. Uzuka, and I. Enomoto, “Pneumatic Direct-drive Stepping Motor for Robots,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 2031-2036, 2002.
-  K. Uzuka, I. Enomoto, and K. Suzumori, “Comparative Assessment of Several Nutation Motor Types,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.14, Issue 1, pp. 82-92, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.