Relation Between Blood Pressure Estimated by Pulse Wave Velocity and Directly Measured Arterial Pressure
Tsukasa Inajima, Yasushi Imai, Masaki Shuzo,
Guillaume Lopez, Shintaro Yanagimoto, Katsuya Iijima,
Hiroyuki Morita, Ryozo Nagai, Naoki Yahagi,
and Ichiro Yamada
The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8655, Japan
-  NIPPON DATA Research Group, “Impact of elevated blood pressure on mortality from all causes, cardiovascular diseases, heart disease and stroke among Japanese: 14 year follow-up of randomly selected population from Japanese,” Nippon data 80, J. Hum. Hypertens, Vol.17, pp. 851-857, 2003.
-  Health Japan 21 Plan Study Committee and Health Japan 21 Plan Development Committee, “National Health Promotion in the 21st Century (Health Japan21),” Japan Health Promotion Fitness Foundation, p. 177, 2000.
-  Society for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare, Japan, “Dai 5ji Junkanki Shikkan Kiso Chousa Kekka (Summary of the Fifth National Survey on Cardiovascular Disease: Full Coverage of the Results of Fifth National Survey of Cardiovascular Survey),” Tokyo, Chuo-Hoki Publishing, pp. 291-295, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  J. A. Staessen, L. Thijs, R. Fagard, E. T. O’Brien, D. Clement, P.W. de Leeuw, G. Mancia, C. Nachev, P. Palatini, G. Parati, J. Tuomilehto, and J. Webster, “For the Systolic Hypertension in Europe Trial Investigators: Predicting Cardiovascular Risk Using Conventional vs Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Older Patients With Systolic Hypertension,” JAMA, Vol.282, pp. 539-546, 1999.
-  The Japanese Society of Hypertension, “The Guideline for theManagement of Hypertension,” Life Science Publishing Co., Ltd. pp. 8-13, 2009.
-  Y. Imai, K. Otsuka, Y. Kawano, K. Shimada, H. Hayashi, O. Tochikubo, M. Miyakawa, and K. Fukiyama, “Japanese Society of Hypertension,” Japanese Society of Hypertension (JSH) guidelines for self-monitoring of blood pressure at home,” Hypertens Res., Vol.10, pp. 771-782, 2003.
-  T. G. Pickering, J. E. Hall, L. J. Appel, B. E. Falkner, J. Graves, M. N. Hill, D. W. Jones, T. Kurtz, S. G. Sheps, and E. J. Roccella, “Recommendations for Blood Pressure Measurement in Humans and Experimental Animals Part 1: Blood Pressure Measurement in Humans: A Statement for Professionals From the Subcommittee of Professional and Public Education of the American Heart Association Council on High Blood Pressure Research,” Hypertension, Vol.45, pp. 142-161, 2005.
-  G. Lopez, M. Shuzo, H. Ushida, K. Hidaka, S. Yanagimoto, Y. Imai, A. Kosaka, J. J. Delaunay, and I. Yamada, “Continuous Blood Pressure Monitoring in Daily Life,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, pp. 179-186, 2010.
-  A. Yamashina, H. Tomiyama, K. Takeda, H. Tsuda, T. Arai, K. Hirose, Y. Koji, S. Hori, and Y. Yamamoto, “Validity, reproducibility, and clinical significance of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement,” Hypertens Res., Vol.3, pp. 359-364, 2002.
-  K. Iijima, Y. Kameyama, M. Akishita, Y. Ouchi, S. Yanagimoto, Y. Imai, N. Yahagi, G. Lopez, M. Shuzo, and I. Yamada, “Validity and Usefulness of ‘Wearable Blood Pressure Sensing’ for Detection of Inappropriate Short-Term Blood Pressure Variability in the Elderly Impact of Cognitive Function and Stress Response,” Trans. of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.27, pp. 40-45, 2012.
-  R. Ochiai et al., “The Relationship between Modified Pulse Wave Transit Time and Cardiovascular Changes in Isoflurane Anesthetized Dogs,” J. of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, Vol.15, pp. 493-501, 1999.
-  M. J. Roman, R. B. Devereux, J. R. Kizer, P. M. Okin, E. T. Lee, W. Wang, J. G. Umans, D. Calhoun, and B. V. Howard, “High Central Pulse Pressure Is Independently Associated With Adverse Cardiovascular Outcome,” J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., Vol.54, pp. 1730-1734, 2009.
-  J. M. Bland and D. G. Altman, “Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement,” Lancet., Vol.8476, pp. 307-310, 1986.
-  D. B. McCombie, P. A. Shaltis, A. T. Reisner, and H. H. Asada, “Adaptive hydrostatic blood pressure calibration: Development of a wearable, autonomous pulse wave velocity blood pressure monitor,” Proc. Conf. IEEE EMBS 2007, pp. 370-373. 2007.
-  S. R. Sinha and M. Barry, “Health Technologies and Innovation in the Global Health Arena,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.365, pp. 779-782, 2011.
-  M. Ogawa, S. Sudo, M. Kurotaki, and K. Takahata, “Domestic Networks: Current State and Outlook for the Future,” Medical Imaging Technology, Vol.22, pp. 7-12, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.