Real-Time Optical Flow Estimation Using Multiple Frame-Straddling Intervals
Lei Chen, Hua Yang, Takeshi Takaki, and Idaku Ishii
Robotics Laboratory, Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
-  B. K. P. Horn and B. G. Schunck, “Determining optical flow,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.17, pp. 185-203, 1981.
-  B. Lucas and T. Kanade, “An iterative image registration technique with applications in stereo vision,” in Proc. of the DARPA Image Understanding Workshop, pp. 121-130, 1981.
-  H. Liu, T. H. Hong, M. Herman, T. Camus, and R. Chellappa, “Accuracy vs. efficiency trade-offs in optical flow algorithms,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.72, No.3, pp. 271-286, 1998.
-  J. L. Barron, D. J. Fleet, and S. S. Beauchemin, “Performance of optical flow techniques,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 32-77, 1994.
-  D. T. Lawton, “Processing translational motion sequences,” Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, Vol.22, pp. 116-144, 1983.
-  J. R. Bergen, P. J. Burt, R. Hingorani, and S. Peleg, “Computing two motions from three frames,” in Proc. of Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 27-32, 1990.
-  H. Niitsuma and T. Maruyama, “Real-time detection of moving objects,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, FPL 2004, Vol.3203, pp. 1153-1157, 2004.
-  J. L.Martin, A. Zuloaga, C. Cuadrado, J. L. Lazaro, and U. Bidarte, “Hardware implementation of optical flow constraint equation using FPGAs,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.98, pp. 462-490, 2005.
-  J. Diaz, E. Ros, F. Pelayo, E. M. Ortigosa, and S. Mota, “FPGAbased real-time optical-flow system,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 274-279, 2006.
-  Z. Wei, D. J. Lee, and B. E. Nelson, “FPGA-based real-time optical flow algorithm design and implementation,” J. of Multimedia, Vol.2, No.5, pp. 38-45, 2007.
-  M. V. Correia and A. C. Campilh, “Real-time implementation of an optical flow algorithm,” in Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 247-250, 2002.
-  D. J. Fleet, “Measurement of Image Velocity,” Kluwer Academic, Norwell, 1992.
-  P. Anandan, “A computational framework and an algorithm for the measurement of visual motion,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.2, pp. 283-310, 1989.
-  M. J. Black and P. Anandan, “The robust estimation of multiple motions: Parametric and piecewise smooth flow fields,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.63, No.1, pp. 75-104, 1996.
-  E. Memin and P. Perez, “A multi-grid approach for hierarchical motion estimation,” in Proc. of Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 933-938, 1998.
-  T. Brox, A. Bruhn, N. Papenberg, and J. Welckert, “High accuracy optical flow estimation based on a theory for warping,” in Proc. of the European Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 25-36, 2004.
-  C. Liu, J. Yuen, A. Torralba, J. Sivic, and W. Freeman, “SIFT flow: Dense correspondence across difference scenes,” in Proc. of the European Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 28-42, 2008.
-  L. Xu, J. Chen, and J. Jia, “A segmentation based variational model for accurate optical flow estimation,” in Proc. of the European Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 671-684, 2008.
-  X. Ren, “Local grouping for optical flow,” in Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1-8, 2008.
-  T. Brox, C. Bregler, and J.Malik, “Large displacement optical flow,” in Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 41-48, 2009.
-  N. Stevanovic, M. Hillegrand, B. J. Hostica, and A. Teuner, “A CMOS image sensor for high-speed imaging,” in Digest of Technical Papers of IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., pp. 104-105, 2000.
-  S. Kleinfelder, Y. Chen, K. Kwiatkowski, and A. Shah, “High-speed CMOS image sensor circuits with in-situ frame storage,” IEEE Trans. on Nuclear Science, Vol.51, pp. 1648-1656, 2004.
-  M. Furuta, Y. Nishikawa, T. Inoue, and S. Kawahito, “A highspeed, high-sensitivity digital CMOS image sensor with a global shutter and 12-bit column-parallel cyclic A/D converters,” IEEE J. of Solid-State Circuits, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 766-774, 2007.
-  M. El-Desouki, M. J. Deen, Q. Fang, L. Liu, F. Tse, and D. Armstrong, “CMOS image sensors for high speed applications,” Sensors, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 430-444, 2009.
-  Y. Watanabe, T. Komuro, and M. Ishikawa, “955-fps real-time shape measurement of a moving/deforming object using high-speed vision for numerous-point analysis,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3192-3197, 2007.
-  S. Hirai, M. Zakoji, A. Masubuchi, and T. Tsuboi, “Realtime FPGA-based vision system,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 401-409, 2005.
-  I. Ishii, R. Sukenobe, T. Taniguchi, and K. Yamamoto, “Development of high-speed and real-time vision platform, H3 Vision,” in Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3671-3678, 2009.
-  I. Ishii, T. Tatebe, Q. Gu, Y. Moriue, T. Takaki, and K. Tajima, “2000 fps real-time vision system with high-frame-rate video recording,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1536-1541, 2010.
-  S. Lim, J. G. Apostolopouls, and A. E. Gamal, “Optical flow estimation using temporally over-sampled video,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.14, No.8, pp. 1074-1087, 2005.
-  I. Ishii, T. Taniguchi, K. Yamamoto, and T. Takaki, “1000 fps realtime optical flow detection system,” in Proc. of SPIE-IS&T Electronics Imaging 2010 Meeting, Vol.7538, pp. 75380M-1-75380M-11, 2010.
-  L. Chen, T. Takaki, and I. Ishii, “Accuracy of gradient-based optical flow estimation in high-frame-rate video analysis,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, Vol.E95-D, No.4, pp. 1130-1141, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.