Applicability of Hand-Guided Robot for Assembly-Line Work
Yu Ogura, Masakazu Fujii, Kazuyuki Nishijima,
Hiroki Murakami, and Mitsuharu Sonehara
IHI Corporation, 1 Shin-Nakahara-cho, Isogo-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 235-8501, Japan
This paper proposes a new hand-guided robot system for assembly-line work targeting instrumental panel installation in the final assembly process at automobile factories. The robot in the system transfers a heavy or large panel module to a nearby target vehicle on a carrier line and helps a worker to assemble it on the moving body, in accordance with the worker’s operation. The system automatically transforms the 3D orientation of the robot to the body on the line so that the worker can assemble only with adjusting the position of the panel. The proposed assist method enables reduce operation time and make assembly tolerance wider. The effectiveness and performance of assembly are confirmed by experiments.
-  H. Konosu, I. Araki, and Y. Yamada, “Practical Development of Skill-Assist,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 508-514, 2004.
-  Y. Yamada, H. Konosu, T. Morizono, and Y. Umetani, “Proposal of Skill-Assist: A System of Assisting Human Workers by Reflecting Their Skills in Positioning Tasks,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 11-16, 1999.
-  Y. Ogura, S. Emoto,M. Fujii, H.Murakami, and M. Sonehara, “Operation guidance for industrial robot having hand guiding equipment,” Proc. 2009 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1A2-D15, 2009.
-  M. Fujii, D. Shiokata, H.Murakami, and M. Sonehara, “Proposal of Safety System for Human and Industrial Robot Collaborative Working,” Proc. 2008 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2A1-A21, 2008.
-  International Organization for Standardization, “ISO 10218-1: 2006 Robots for industrial environments – Safety requirements – Part 1: Robot,” 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.