Curved Type Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle Using Shape-Memory Polymer
Kazuto Takashima*1,*2, Toshiro Noritsugu*3, Jonathan Rossiter*2,*4,
Shijie Guo*5, and Toshiharu Mukai*2
*1Graduate School of Life Science and Systems Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 2-4 Hibikino, Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu 808-0196, Japan
*2Advanced Science Institute, RIKEN, 2271-130 Anagahora, Shimoshidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya 463-0003, Japan
*3Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, 3-1-1 Tsushima-naka, Kita-ku, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
*4Department of Engineering Mathematics, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TH, UK
*5SR Laboratory, Tokai Rubber Industries, Ltd., 1 Higashi 3-chome, Komaki 485-8550, Japan
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Pneumatic Soft Robot Hand for Human Friendly Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 164-171, 2003.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, H. Yamamoto, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Power Assist Glove using Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 640-646, 2006.
-  M. Aragane, T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, D. Sasaki, and S. Naomoto, “Development of Sheet-like Curved Type Pneumatic Rubber Muscle and Application to Elbow Power AssistWear,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.26, No.6, pp. 674-682, 2008.
-  C. P. Chou and B. Hannaford, “Measurement and Modelling of McKibben Pneumatic Artificial Muscles,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 90-102, 1996.
-  H. Kobayashi and K. Hiramatsu, “Development of Muscle Suit for Upper Limb,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.3, pp. 2480-2485, 2004.
-  Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation, “Patent Distribution Support Chart: Shape-Memory Polymers,” National Center for Industrial Property Information and Training, 2006.
-  K. Takashima, N. Zhang, T. Mukai, and S. Guo, “Fundamental Study of a Position-keeping Module Using a Shape-memory Polymer,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 905-912, 2010.
-  K. Takashima, J. Rossiter, and T. Mukai, “McKibben Artificial Muscle Using Shape-memory Polymer,” Sensors & Actuators: A. Physical, Vol.164, pp. 116-124, 2010.
-  E. Yamamoto, “Norsorex,” Plastics, Vol.38, No.12, pp. 107-111, 1987.
-  K. Sakurai, A. Sayanagi, T. Naito, and T. Takahashi, “Shapememorizable Polymer: Polynorbornene,” Bulletin of the Institute for Material Science and Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Fukui University, Vol.26, pp. 23-33, 1988.
-  M. Irie, “Development of Shape-memory Polymers,” CMC Publishing, 2000.
-  H. Tobushi, K. Tanaka, H. Horikawa, and M. Matsumoto, “Shape Memory Materials and their Applications,” Corona Publishing, 2004.
-  Z. Yu, W. Yuan, P. Brochu, B. Chen, Z. Liu, and Q. Pei, “Largestrain, Rigid-to-rigid Deformation of Bistable Electroactive Polymers,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.95, 192904, 2009.
-  M. Inoue, “Research on the Mechanics of Fibrous Materials,” Sen’i gakkaishi, Vol.64, No.8, pp. 246-251, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.