Mouth Movement Recognition Using Template Matching and its Implementation in an Intelligent Room
Kiyoshi Takita*, Takeshi Nagayasu*, Hidetsugu Asano**,
Kenji Terabayashi*, and Kazunori Umeda*
*Chuo University, 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
**Pioneer Corporation, 1-1 Shin-ogura, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa 212-0031, Japan
-  T. Mori and T. Sato, “Robotic Room: Its Concept and Realization, Robotics and Autonomous Systems,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 141-144, 1999.
-  J. H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Intelligent Space – Concept and Contents –,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 265-280, 2002.
-  T. Mori, H. Noguchi, and T. Sato, “Sensing room – Room-type behavior measurement and accumulation environment –,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 665-669, 2005.
-  B. Brumitt, B. Meyers, J. Krumm, A. Kern, and S. Shafer, “EasyLiving: Technologies for Intelligent Environments,” Proc. Int. Symp. on Handheld and Ubiquitous Computing, pp. 12-27, 2000.
-  K. Irie, N. Wakamura, and K. Umeda, “Construction of an intelligent room based on gesture recognition – operation of electric appliances with hand gestures,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 193-198, 2004.
-  K. Irie, N. Wakamura, and K. Umeda, “Construction of an Intelligent Room Based on Gesture Recognition,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, C, Vol.73, No.725, pp. 258-265, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakanishi, K. Terabayashi, and K. Umeda, “Mouth Motion Recognition for Intelligent Room Using DPMatching,” IEEJ Trans. EIS Vol.129, No.5, pp. 940-946, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. Saitoh and R. Konishi, “Lip Reading Based on Trajectory Feature,” Trans. IEICE Vol.J90-D, No.4, pp. 1105-1114, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Wark and S. Sridharan, “A syntactic approach to automatic lip feature extraction for speaker identification,” Proc. IEEE ICASSP, Vol.6, pp. 3693-3696, 1998.
-  R. W. Frischholz and U. Dieckmann, “Bioid: A Multimodal Biometric Identification System,” IEEE Computer, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 64-68, 2000.
-  L. G. ves da Silveira, J. Facon, and D. L. Borges, “Visual speech recognition: A solution from feature extraction to words classification,” Proc. XVI Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing, pp. 399-405, 2003.
-  M. J. Lyons, C.-H. Chan, and N. Tetsutani, “Mouthtype: text entry by hand and mouth,” Proc. Conf. on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1383-1386, 2004.
-  Y. Ogoshi, H. Ide, C. Araki, and H. Kimura, “Active Lip Contour Using Hue Characteristics Energy Model for A Lip Reading System,” Trans. IEEJ, Vol.128, No.5, pp. 811-812, 2008.
-  K. Takita, T. Nagayasu, H. Asano, K. Terabayashi, and K. Umeda, “An Investigation into Feature for Mouth Motion Recognition Using DP matching,” Dynamic Image processing for real Application 2011, pp. 302-307, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  C. Bregler and Y. Konig “‘Eigenlips’ for robust speech recognition,” Proc. Int. Conf. Acoust. Speech Signal Process (ICASSP), pp. 669-672, 1994.
-  O. Vanegas, K. Tokuda, and T. Kitamura, “Lip location normalized training for visual speech recognition,” IEICE Trans. Inf. & Syst., Vol.E83-D, No.11, pp. 1969-1977, Nov. 2000.
-  J. Kim, J. Lee, and K. Shirai, “An efficient lip-reading method robust to illumination variation,” IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, Vol.E85-A, No.9, pp. 2164-2168, Sept. 2002.
-  P. Viola and M. Jones, “Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Vol.1, pp. 511-518, 2001.
-  T. Nishimura, T.Mukai, S. Nozaki, and R. Oka, “Spotting Recognition of Gestures Performed by People form a Single Time-Varying Image Using Low-Resolution Features,” Trans. IEICE, Vol.J80-DII, No.6, pp. 1563-1570, 1997.
-  S. Uchida and H. Sakoe, “Analytical DP Matching,” Trans. IEICE, Vol.J90-D, No.8, pp. 2137-2146, 2007.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] http://opencv.jp/opencv-1.1.0/document/index.html
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.