Multi-Material Anisotropic Friction Wheels for Omnidirectional Ground Vehicles
Genya Ishigami*, Jim Overholt**, and Karl Iagnemma***
*Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, 3-1-1 Yoshinodai, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 252-5210, Japan
**United States Army TARDEC, 6501 E. 11 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48397, USA
***Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
-  J. Blumrich, “Omnidirectional Wheel,” US Patent 3, 789, 947, 1974.
-  R. Smith, “Omnidirectional Vehicle Base,” US Patent 4, 715, 460, 1987.
-  S. Fujisawa, K. Ohkubo, T. Yoshida, N. Satonaka, Y. Shidama, and H. Yamaura, “Improved Moving Properties of an Omnidirectional Vehicle Using Stepping Motor,” Proc. the 36th Conf. on Decision and Control, San Diego, CA, pp. 3654-3657, 1997.
-  R. Williams, B. Carter, P. Gallina, and G. Rosati, “Dynamic Model with Slip for Wheeled Omni-Directional Robots,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 285-293, 2002.
-  B. Ilon, “Wheels for a course stable self-propelling vehicle movable in any desired direction on the ground or some other base,” US Patent 3, 876, 255, 1975.
-  P. Muir and C. Neuman, “Kinematic Modeling for Feedback Control of an Omnidirectional Wheeled Mobile Robot,” Proc. the 1987 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Raleigh, NC, pp. 1772-1778, 1987.
-  J. Agullo, S. Cardona, and J. Vivancos, “Kinematics of vehicles with directional sliding wheels,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.22, Issue 4, pp. 295-301, 1987.
-  A. McCandless, “Design and construction of a robot vehicle chassis,” Honours Thesis, The University of Western Australia, 2001.
-  A. Gfrerrer, “Geometry and kinematics of the Mecanum wheel,” Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol.25, Issue 9, pp. 784-791, 2008.
-  T. Okada, T. Ohya, H. Kawasaki, S. Fujiwara, and N. Mimura, “Structure of Skid Wheels and their Motional Characteristics for the Vehicle in Pipe,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 905-913, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  N. Cheng, G. Ishigami, S. Hawthorne, H. Chen, M. Hansen, M. Telleria, R. Playter, and K. Iagnemma, “Design and Analysis of a Soft Mobile Robot Composed of Multiple Thermally Activated Joints Driven by a Single Actuator,” Proc. of the 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Anchorage, AK, pp. 5207-5212, 2010.
Supporting Online Materials:[a] Kornylak Corporation, Transwheel®,
-  [b] AirTrax, http://www.airtrax.com/
-  [c] Connex500TM Multi-Material 3D Printing System,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.