Specification and Implementation of Open Source Software Suite for Realizing Communication Intelligence
Yosuke Matsusaka, Hideki Asoh, Isao Hara,
and Futoshi Asano
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0045, Japan
We are presently developing a set of software called the Open Source Software Suite for Human Robot Interaction (OpenHRI). The OpenHRI has the following features: It is implemented on RT-Component, an Object Management Group (OMG) compliant robot technology component specification that can be easily integrated into any robot system. It can perform various functions, from audio signal processing to dialog management, in a uniform and reconfigurable manner. It not only implements each required function of components but also defines a meta-level specification to enable the developer to verify whether the structural design of components is correct. In this paper, we introduce the implementation of the OpenHRI, present the architectural design of the system, and provide examples of applications.
-  J. Valin, F. Michaud, and J. Rouat, “Robust Localization and Tracking of Simultaneous Moving Sound Sources Using Beamforming and Particle Filtering,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems J., Vol.55, No.3, pp. 216-228, 2007.
-  K. Nakadai, H. Okuno, H. Nakajima, Y. Hasegawa, and H. Tsujino, “An Open Source Software System For Robot Audition HARK and Its Evaluation,” Proc. of the IEEE/RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 561-566, 2008.
-  T. Kawahara, A. Lee, T. Kobayashi, K. Takeda, N. Minematsu, S. Sagayama, K. Itou, A. Ito, M. Yamamoto, A. Yamada, T. Utsuro, and K. Shikano, “Free Software Toolkit for Japanese Large Vocabulary Continuous Speech Recognition,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Spoken Language Processing, Vol.4, pp. 476-479, 2000.
-  I. Hara, F. Asano, H. Asoh, J. Ogata, N. Ichimura, Y. Kawai, F. Kanehiro, H. Hirukawa, and K. Yamamoto, “Robust SpeechInterface Based on Audio and Video Information Fusion for Humanoid HRP-2,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2404-2410, 2004.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W. Yoon, “RTMiddleware: Distributed Component Middleware for RT (Robot Technology),” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  Y.Matsusaka and I. Hara, “An Extensible Dialogue Script for Robot Based on Unification of State Transition Models,” Proc. of the 8th IEEE Int. Symp. on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation, 2009.
-  P. S. Rosenbloom, J. E. Laird, and A. Newell (Eds), “The Soar Papers,” Readings on Integrated Intelligence, MIT Press, 1993.
-  Y. Matsusaka, H. Fujii, and I. Hara, “Health Exercise Demonstration Robot TAIZO and Effects of Using Voice Command in Robot-Human Collaborative Demonstration,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, 2009.
-  S. Kawamoto et al., “Open-Source Software for Developing Anthropomorphic Spoken Dialog Agent,” Proc. of PRICAI-02, Int. Workshop on Lifelike Animated Agents, pp. 64-69, 2002.
- [a] Orca,
- [b] ROS – Robot Open Source – Willow Garage,
- [c] NEDO IRTS Communication Intelligence SWG, “Communication Intelligence Common Specification version 1,”
- [d] PortAudio – an Open-Source Cross-Platform Audio API,
- [e] The Festival Speech Synthesis System,
- [f] Open JTalk,
- [g] Web Service Semantics – WSDL-S,
Supporting Online Materials:
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.