Omni-Directional Gait of Multi-Legged Robot on Rough Terrain by Following the Virtual Plane
Kenji Kamikawa*, Tomohito Takubo**, Yasushi Mae**,
Kenji Inoue***, and Tatsuo Arai**
*Hitachizosen Corporation, 2-2-11 Funamachi, Taisho-ku, Osaka 551-0022, Japan
**Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama-cho, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
***Yamagata University, 4-3-16 Jonan, Yonezawa, Yamagata 992-8510, Japan
-  J. Casper and R. R. Murphy, “Human-Robot Interactions During the Robot-Assisted Urban Search and Rescue Response at the World Trade Center,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, Cybernetics, Vol.33, No.3, pp. 367-385, 2003.
-  J. Carlson, R. R. Murphy, and A. Nelson, “Follow-up analysis of mobile robot failures,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.5, pp. 4987-4994, 2004.
-  A. Wolf, H. H. Choset, B. H. Brown, and R. W. Casciola, “Design and control of a mobile hyper-redundant urban search and rescue robot,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 221-248, 2005.
-  T. Bretl, S. Rock, J. C. Latombe, B. Kennedy, and H. Aghazarian, “Free-Climbing with a Multi-Use Robot,” Experimental Robotics IX, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, 2006, Vol.21, pp. 449-458, 2006.
-  R. M. Voyles, A. C. Larson, J. Bae, and M. Lapoint, “Core-Bored Search-and-Rescue Applications for an Agile Limbed Robot,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 58-63, 2004.
-  Y. Fukuoka, H. Kimura, and A. H. Cohen, “Adaptive Dynamic Walking of a Quadruped Robot on Irregular Terrain based on Biological Concepts,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.22, No.3-4, pp. 187-202, 2003.
-  M. Buehler, R. Playter, and M. Raibert, “Robots Step Outside,” Int. Symp. Adaptive Motion of Animals and Machines (AMAM), 2005.
-  C. M. Angle and R. A. Brooks, “Small Planetary Rovers,” Proc. of the 1990 IEEE Int. Workshop on Intelligent Robots and systems, Vol.1, pp. 383-388, 1990.
-  M. Kaneko, M. Abe, K. Tanie, S. Tachi, and S. Nishizawa, “Basic Experiments on a Hexapod Walking Machine (MELWALK-III) with an Approximate Straight-line Link Mechanism,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 397-404, 1985.
-  Y. Go, X. Yin, and A. Bowling, “Navigability of Multi-Legged Robots,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.11, Issue 3, pp. 1-8, 2006.
-  T. Takubo, T. Arai, K .Inoue, H .Ochi, T .Konishi, T .Tsurutani, Y. Hayashibara, and E .Koyanagi, “Integrated Limb Mechanism Robot ASTERISK,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 203-214, 2006.
-  H. Adachi, “Gait Control for a Quadruped Robot,” Report of Mechanical Engineering Laboratory No.184, Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, 2000. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Kanayama, R. B. McGhee, K. Yoneda, K. Suzuki, S. McMillan, H. Takahashi, and M. Iwasaki, “An Int. Joint Research Project on an Autonomous Underwater Walking Robot,” Proc. of Coastal Ocean Space Utilization, 1995.
-  K. Nonami, Q. Huang, D. Komizo, Y. Fukao, Y. Asai, Y. Shiraishi, M. Fujimoto, and Y. Ikedo, “Development and Control of Mine Detection Robot COMET-II and COMET-III,” JSME Int. J. Series C, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 881-890, 2003.
-  S. Hirose and K. Arikawa, “Development of Quadruped Walking Robot TITAN-VIII for Commercially Available Research Platform,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.17, No.8, pp. 139-145, 1999. (in Japanese)
-  M. Raibert, K. Blankespoor, G. Nelson, and R. Playter, “BigDog, the Rough-Terrain Quadruped Robot,” Proc. of the 17th World Congress The Int. Federation of Automatic Control, 2008.
-  N. Koyachi, H. Adachi, and T. Arai, “Development of Hexapod with Integrated Limb Mechanism of Leg & Arm: MELMANTIS-1,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.6, pp. 682-689, 2003. (in Japanese)
-  R. B. McGhee and A. A. Frank, “On the Stability Properties of Quadruped Creeping Gaits,” Mathematical Biosciences, Vol.3, pp. 331-351, 1968.
-  K. Yoneda, K. Suzuki, and Y. Kanayama, “Gait planning for versatile motion of a six legged robot,” Proc. of the 1994 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1338-1343, 1994.
-  J. P. Schmiedeler, N. J. Bradley, and B. Kennedy, “Maximizing Walking Step Length For A Near Omni-Directional Hexapod Robot,” Proc. of the 2004 ASME Int. Design Engineering Technical Conf. and Computers and Information in Engineering Conf., Paper No.DETC2004-57531, pp. 1371-1380, 2004.
-  K. Inoue, T. Tsurutani, T. Takubo, and T. Arai, “Omni-directional Gait of Limb Mechanism Robot Hanging from Grid-like Structure,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1732-1737, 2006.
-  K. Kamikawa, T. Arai, Y. Mae, T. Takubo, and K. Inoue, “Expansion of movable area of multi legged robot by rotational gait,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.28 No.2, pp. 99-108, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  N. Koyachi, H. Adachi, T. Nakamura, and E. Nakano, “Design and Control of Self-contained Hexapod Walking Robot for Stairclimbing,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 918-928, 1993. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.