Street Performance Robot Contest as Practice in Creativity Education
Gen Endo*, Takeshi Aoki**, Hideaki Suzuki***,
Edwardo F. Fukushima*, and Shigeo Hirose*
*Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
**Department of Advanced Robotics, Chiba Institute of Technology, 2-17-1 Tsudanuma, Narashino-shi, Chiba 275-0016, Japan
***Technical Department, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
This paper introduces the curriculum for creativity education that has been conducted at the Department of Mechano-Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, for 20 years, for the purpose of systematization of education using robots. In particular, we describe the significance of the lecture and operational know-how of contests for street performance robots, which we have continuously held in the course called “machine creation.” The results of a questionnaire survey of students indicate that this course is a valuable experience for students.
Edwardo F. Fukushima, and Shigeo Hirose, “Street Performance Robot Contest as Practice in Creativity Education,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.5, pp. 768-777, 2011.
-  S. Hirose, “Creative Education at Tokyo Institute of Technology,” Int. J. of Engineering Education, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 512-517, 2001.
-  G. Endo, E. F. Fukushima, and S. Hirose, “An Experimental Subject for Bachelor Students Using “Open Dynamics Engine” and “TITAN-VIII” Hardware System,” Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 1L2-6, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  E. F. Fukushima, T. Tsumaki, and S. Hirose, “Development of a PWM DC Motor Servo Driver Circuit,” Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 1153-1154, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  E. F. Fukushima, K. Takita, and S. Hirose, “Development of TITech Wire: a High Speed Serial I/O for Robot Control,” Proc. TITech COE/Super Mechano-Systems Symposium, HRS-8, 2001.
-  S. Hirose, “Intelligent Sports Paving the Way For a Future Robotic Society,” Wide Region Education (Kouryouiki Kyouiku), No.59, pp. 4-10, 2005 (in Japanese).
- Supporting Online Materials:
- [a] http://souzou.mes.titech.ac.jp/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.