Design and Implementation of Basic Framework for Integration of Robot Technology Elements in Intelligent Space
Takeshi Sasaki*, Yoshihisa Toshima**,
and Hideki Hashimoto***
*Department of Engineering and Design, College of Engineering and Design, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-9-14 Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8548, Japan
**Solutions Product Development Center, Daikin Industries, Ltd., 1000-2 Okamoto-cho, Kusatsu-shi, Shiga 525-8526, Japan
***Department of Electrical, Electronic, and Communication Engineering, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University, 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
This paper considers design and implementation of intelligent Space (iSpace) which is a space with many distributed sensors and actuators. iSpace system should have flexibility and scalability so that we can easily change the configuration of embedded devices and switch applications based on the situation. To realize such a system, iSpace framework requirements are discussed and a layered structure which consists of four layers – the sensor node, basic information server, application and actuator layers – is proposed. The structure makes it possible to fuse information extracted by each sensor node effectively and provides system flexibility and scalability. A componentbased iSpace implementation is also addressed. The designed framework is implemented using RT (Robot Technology) middleware.
and Hideki Hashimoto, “Design and Implementation of Basic Framework for Integration of Robot Technology Elements in Intelligent Space,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.4, pp. 523-531, 2011.
-  D. J. Cook and S. K. Das, “Smart Environments: Technologies, Protocols, and Applications,” (Wiley Series on Parallel and Distributed Computing), Wiley-Interscience, 2004.
-  B. Johanson, A. Fox, and T. Winograd, “The Interactive Workspaces Project: Experiences with Ubiquitous Computing Rooms,” IEEE Pervasive Computing Magazine, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 67-74, 2002.
-  Y. Nishida, T. Hori, T. Suehiro, and S. Hirai, “Sensorized Environment for Self-communication Based on Observation of Daily Human Behavior,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 1364-1372, 2000.
-  E. D. Mynatt, A.-S. Melenhorst, A.-D. Fisk, and W. A. Rogers, “Aware Technologies for Aging in Place: Understanding User Needs and Attitudes,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 36-41, 2004.
-  T. Mori, N. Hayama, H. Noguchi, and T. Sato, “Informational Support in Distributed Sensor Environment Sensing Room,” Proc. of 13th IEEE Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 353-358, 2004.
-  F. Mizoguchi, H. Ohwada, H. Nishiyama, and H. Hiraishi, “Smart Office Robot Collaboration Based on Multi-agent Programming,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.114, No.1-2, pp. 57-94, 1999.
-  A. Sgorbissa and R. Zaccaria, “The Artificial Ecosystem: a Distributed Approach to Service Robotics,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 3531-3536, 2004.
-  Y. Koide, T. Kanda, Y. Sumi, K. Kogure, and H. Ishiguro, “An Approach to Integrating an Interactive Guide Robot with Ubiquitous Sensors,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.3, pp. 2500-2505, 2004.
-  J.-H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Intelligent Space – concept and contents,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 265-280, 2002.
-  T. Hasegawa and K. Murakami, “Robot Town Project: Supporting Robots in an Environment with its Structured Environment,” Proc. of the 3rd Int. Conf. on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence, pp. 119-123, 2006.
-  M. Broxvall, M. Gritti, A. Saffiotti, B. S. Seo, and Y. J. Cho, “PEIS Ecology: Integrating Robots into Smart Environments,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 212-218, 2006.
-  J.-H. Lee, K. Morioka, N. Ando, and H. Hashimoto, “Cooperation of Distributed Intelligent Sensors in Intelligent Environment,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 535-543, 2004.
-  B. Gerkey, R. T. Vaughan, and A. Howard, “The Player/Stage Project: Tools for Multi-Robot and Distributed Sensor Systems,” Proc. of the 11th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 317-323, 2003.
-  H. Utz, S. Sablatnog, S. Enderle, and G. Kraetzschmar, “Miro – Middleware for Mobile Robot Applications,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 493-497, 2002.
-  M. Mizukawa, S. Sakakibara, and N. Otera, “Implementation and Applications of Open Data Network Interface ‘ORiN’,” Proc. of the SICE 2004 Annual Conf., Vol.2, pp. 1340-1343, 2004.
-  M. Broxvall, “A Middleware for Ecologies of Robotic Devices,” Proc. of the First Int. Conf. on Robot Communication and Coordination, Vol.30, No.1-8, 2007.
-  A. Brooks, T. Kaupp, A. Makarenko, S. Williams, and A. Oreback, “Orca: a Component Model and Repository,” D. Brugali (Ed.), Software Engineering for Experimental Robotics, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, Vol.30, pp. 231-251, 2007.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W.-K. Yoon, “RTMiddleware: Distributed Component Middleware for RT (Robot Technology),” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  OMG, “Robotic Technology Component Specification Version 1.0,” OMG Document Number: formal/2008-04-04, Apr. 2008.
-  J. Jackson, “Microsoft Robotics Studio: A Technical Introduction,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 82-87, 2007.
-  N. Hagita, “Communication Robots in the Network Robot Framework,” Proc. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, pp. 1-6, 2006.
-  J.-H. Kim, K.-H. Lee, Y.-D. Kim, N. S. Kuppuswamy, and J. Jo, “Ubiquitous Robot: A New Paradigm for Integrated Services,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2853-2858, 2007.
-  D. Brscic, T. Sasaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Implementation ofMobile Robot Control in Intelligent Space,” SICE-ICASE Int. Joint Conf. 2006, pp. 1228-1233, 2006.
-  D. Ferguson and A. Stentz, “The Field D* Algorithm for Improved Path Planning and Replanning in Uniform and Non-Uniform Cost Environments,” Technical Report CMU-RI-TR-05-19, Robotics Institute, 2005.
-  D. Fox, W. Burgard, and S. Thrun, “The Dynamic Window Approach to Collision Avoidance,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 23-33, 1997.
-  J.-H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Controlling Mobile Robots in Distributed Intelligent Sensor Network,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.50, No.5, pp. 890-902, 2003.
-  Y. Toshima, N. Ando, and H. Hashimoto, “Information Display System Using Active Projector in Intelligent Space – Integration of Distributed Devices Based on RT-Middleware,” The 12th Int. Symp. on Artificial Life and Robotics, pp. 183-186, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.