Design and Implementation of Basic Framework for Integration of Robot Technology Elements in Intelligent Space
Takeshi Sasaki*, Yoshihisa Toshima**,
and Hideki Hashimoto***
*Department of Engineering and Design, College of Engineering and Design, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-9-14 Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8548, Japan
**Solutions Product Development Center, Daikin Industries, Ltd., 1000-2 Okamoto-cho, Kusatsu-shi, Shiga 525-8526, Japan
***Department of Electrical, Electronic, and Communication Engineering, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University, 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
-  D. J. Cook and S. K. Das, “Smart Environments: Technologies, Protocols, and Applications,” (Wiley Series on Parallel and Distributed Computing), Wiley-Interscience, 2004.
-  B. Johanson, A. Fox, and T. Winograd, “The Interactive Workspaces Project: Experiences with Ubiquitous Computing Rooms,” IEEE Pervasive Computing Magazine, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 67-74, 2002.
-  Y. Nishida, T. Hori, T. Suehiro, and S. Hirai, “Sensorized Environment for Self-communication Based on Observation of Daily Human Behavior,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 1364-1372, 2000.
-  E. D. Mynatt, A.-S. Melenhorst, A.-D. Fisk, and W. A. Rogers, “Aware Technologies for Aging in Place: Understanding User Needs and Attitudes,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 36-41, 2004.
-  T. Mori, N. Hayama, H. Noguchi, and T. Sato, “Informational Support in Distributed Sensor Environment Sensing Room,” Proc. of 13th IEEE Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 353-358, 2004.
-  F. Mizoguchi, H. Ohwada, H. Nishiyama, and H. Hiraishi, “Smart Office Robot Collaboration Based on Multi-agent Programming,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.114, No.1-2, pp. 57-94, 1999.
-  A. Sgorbissa and R. Zaccaria, “The Artificial Ecosystem: a Distributed Approach to Service Robotics,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 3531-3536, 2004.
-  Y. Koide, T. Kanda, Y. Sumi, K. Kogure, and H. Ishiguro, “An Approach to Integrating an Interactive Guide Robot with Ubiquitous Sensors,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.3, pp. 2500-2505, 2004.
-  J.-H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Intelligent Space – concept and contents,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 265-280, 2002.
-  T. Hasegawa and K. Murakami, “Robot Town Project: Supporting Robots in an Environment with its Structured Environment,” Proc. of the 3rd Int. Conf. on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence, pp. 119-123, 2006.
-  M. Broxvall, M. Gritti, A. Saffiotti, B. S. Seo, and Y. J. Cho, “PEIS Ecology: Integrating Robots into Smart Environments,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 212-218, 2006.
-  J.-H. Lee, K. Morioka, N. Ando, and H. Hashimoto, “Cooperation of Distributed Intelligent Sensors in Intelligent Environment,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 535-543, 2004.
-  B. Gerkey, R. T. Vaughan, and A. Howard, “The Player/Stage Project: Tools for Multi-Robot and Distributed Sensor Systems,” Proc. of the 11th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 317-323, 2003.
-  H. Utz, S. Sablatnog, S. Enderle, and G. Kraetzschmar, “Miro – Middleware for Mobile Robot Applications,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 493-497, 2002.
-  M. Mizukawa, S. Sakakibara, and N. Otera, “Implementation and Applications of Open Data Network Interface ‘ORiN’,” Proc. of the SICE 2004 Annual Conf., Vol.2, pp. 1340-1343, 2004.
-  M. Broxvall, “A Middleware for Ecologies of Robotic Devices,” Proc. of the First Int. Conf. on Robot Communication and Coordination, Vol.30, No.1-8, 2007.
-  A. Brooks, T. Kaupp, A. Makarenko, S. Williams, and A. Oreback, “Orca: a Component Model and Repository,” D. Brugali (Ed.), Software Engineering for Experimental Robotics, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, Vol.30, pp. 231-251, 2007.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W.-K. Yoon, “RTMiddleware: Distributed Component Middleware for RT (Robot Technology),” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  OMG, “Robotic Technology Component Specification Version 1.0,” OMG Document Number: formal/2008-04-04, Apr. 2008.
-  J. Jackson, “Microsoft Robotics Studio: A Technical Introduction,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.14, No.4, pp. 82-87, 2007.
-  N. Hagita, “Communication Robots in the Network Robot Framework,” Proc. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, pp. 1-6, 2006.
-  J.-H. Kim, K.-H. Lee, Y.-D. Kim, N. S. Kuppuswamy, and J. Jo, “Ubiquitous Robot: A New Paradigm for Integrated Services,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2853-2858, 2007.
-  D. Brscic, T. Sasaki, and H. Hashimoto, “Implementation ofMobile Robot Control in Intelligent Space,” SICE-ICASE Int. Joint Conf. 2006, pp. 1228-1233, 2006.
-  D. Ferguson and A. Stentz, “The Field D* Algorithm for Improved Path Planning and Replanning in Uniform and Non-Uniform Cost Environments,” Technical Report CMU-RI-TR-05-19, Robotics Institute, 2005.
-  D. Fox, W. Burgard, and S. Thrun, “The Dynamic Window Approach to Collision Avoidance,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 23-33, 1997.
-  J.-H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Controlling Mobile Robots in Distributed Intelligent Sensor Network,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.50, No.5, pp. 890-902, 2003.
-  Y. Toshima, N. Ando, and H. Hashimoto, “Information Display System Using Active Projector in Intelligent Space – Integration of Distributed Devices Based on RT-Middleware,” The 12th Int. Symp. on Artificial Life and Robotics, pp. 183-186, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.