On-Chip Particle Sorting into Multiple Channels by Magnetically Driven Microtools
Masaya Hagiwara*, Miyako Niimi*, Tomohiro Kawahara*,
Yoko Yamanishi**, Hayao Nakanishi***, and Fumihito Arai*
*Department of Mechanical Science & Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
**JST PRESTO, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
***Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8682, Japan
-  W. A. Bonner, H. R. Hulett, and R. G. Sweet, “Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting,” The Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.43, No.3, 1972, pp. 404-409 1972.
-  R. Barry and D. Ivanov, “Microfluidics in Biotechnology,” J. of Nanobiotechnology, Vol.2, No.1, 2004.
-  J. Yang, Y. Huang, X. Wang, X. B. Wang, F. F. Becker, and P. R. C. Gascoyne, “Dielectric Properties of Human Leukocyte Subpopulations Determined by Electrotation as a Cell Separation Criterion,” Biophysical J., Vol.76, pp. 3307-3314, 1999.
-  A. Rosenthal and J. Voldman, “Dielectrophoretic Traps for Single-Particle Patterning,” Biophysical J., Vol.88, pp. 2193-2205, 2005.
-  C. H. Tai, S. K. Hsiung, C. Y. Chen, M. L. Tsai, and G. B. Lee, “Automati Microfluidic Platform for Cell Separation and Nucleus Collection,” Biomed Microdevices, Vol.8, pp. 533-543, 2007.
-  F. Arai, A. Ichikawa, M. Ogawa, T. Fukuda, K. Horio, and K. Itoigawa, “High-Speed Separation Systems of Randomly Suspended Single Living Cells by Laser Trap and Dielectrophoresis,” Electrophoresis, Vol.22, pp. 283-288, 2001.
-  T. Nishimura, J. Miwa, Y. Suzuki, and N. Kasagi, “Label-Free Continuous Cell Sorter with Specifically Adhesive Oblique Micro-Grooves,” J. of micromechanics and microengineering, Vol.19, 2009.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, K. Onda, and F. Arai, “Biocompatible Polymeric Magnetically Driven Microtool for Particle Sorting,” J. of Micro-Nano Mechatronics, Vol.4, pp. 49-57, 2008.
-  S. Martel, C. Tremblay, S. Ngakeng, and G. Langlois, “Controlled Manipulation and Actuation of Micro-Objects with Magnetotactic Bacteria,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.233904, pp. 89-91, 2006.
-  M. Roper, R. Dreyfus, J. Baudry, M. Fermigier, J. Bibette, and H. A. Stone, “On the Dynamics of Magnetically Driven Elastic Filaments,” J. of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.554, pp. 167-188, 2006.
-  C. Pawashe, S. Floyd, and M. Sitti, “Modeling and Experimental Characterization of an Untethered Magnetic Micro-Robot,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.28, 2009, pp. 1077-1094, 2009.
-  J. J. Abott, K. E. Peyer, M. C. Lagomarsino, L. Zhang, L. Dong, I. K. Kaliakatsos, and B. J. Nelson, “How Should Microrobots Swim?,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.28, 2009, pp. 1434-1447, 2009.
-  M. S. Sakar, E. B. Steager, D. H. Kim,M. J. Kim, G. J. Pappas, and V. Kumar, “Single Cell Manipulation Using Ferromagnetic Composite Microtransporters,” Applied physics letters, Vol.96, Issue 4, pp. 96-98, 2010.
-  J. J. Abott, O. Ergeneman, M. P. Kummer, A. M. Hirt, and B. J. Nelson, “Modeling Magnetic Torque and Force for Controlled Manipulation of Soft-Magnetic Bodies,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.23, 2007, pp. 1247-1252, 2007.
-  M. Hagiwara, T. Kawahara, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Driving Method of Microtool by Horizontally-Arranged Permanent Magnets for Single CellManipulation,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.97, No.1, 2010.
-  E. R. M. Gelinck and D. J. Schipper, “Calculation of Stribeck Curves for Line Contacts,” Tribology International, Vol.33, No.7, 2000.
-  X. Lu,M.M. Khonsari, and E. R.M. Gelinck, “The Stribeck Curve: Experimental Results and Theoretical Prediction,” J. of Tribology, Vol.128, p. 789, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.