Development of Soft Power-Assist Glove and Control Based on Human Intent
Yoko Kadowaki, Toshiro Noritsugu, Masahiro Takaiwa,
Daisuke Sasaki, and Machiko Kato
The Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, 3-1-1 Tsushimanaka, Kita-ku, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
The purpose of this study is to develop a soft-material power-assist glove for hand grasping in daily life by older or disabled persons. Such a glove must be compact, lightweight, and flexible. The glove we developed consists of rubber and cloth, and is user-friendly. This paper describes the types of rubber muscle and the soft power-assist glove, together with control based on human intent and the effectiveness of our proposal.
Daisuke Sasaki, and Machiko Kato, “Development of Soft Power-Assist Glove and Control Based on Human Intent,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 281-291, 2011.
-  T. Katsura et al., “Ergonomics standard numerical formula handbook,” GIHODO SHUPPAN company limited, pp. 121-122, 1999.
-  K. Tadano, M. Akai, K. Kadota, and K. Kawashima, “Development of Grip Amplified Glove using Bi-articular Mechanism with Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle,” 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation Anchorage Convention District, pp. 2363-2368, 2010.
-  S. Takeuchi, T. Nakamura, and K. Hama, “Development of Powerassist Glove for Supporting Grip Strength,” 10th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., pp. 1086-1089, 2009.
-  M. Kato, T.Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Development of power assist glove to support bending and extension,” Proc. of the 2009 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P1-F03, 2009.
-  T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, and D. Sasaki, “Development of Power Assist Wear Using Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 607-613, 2009.
-  S. Ito, Y. Ishigure, S. Ueki, J. Mizumoto, Y. Nishimoto, M. Abe, and H. Kawasaki, “A hand rehabilitation support system with improvements based on clinical practices,” Preprints of the 9th Int. symposium on Robot Control, pp. 829-834, 2009.
-  S. Moromugi, T. Ikeda, H. Matsui, Y. Miyazaki, and T. Ishimatsu, “Exo-tendon glove to amplify grasping power,” 10th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., pp. 319-322, 2009.
-  D. A. Neumann, “KINESIOLOGY of the MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM,” Ishiyaku Publishing Incorporated, pp. 196-250, 2008.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, H. Yamamoto, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Power Assist Glove using Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 640-646, 2006.
-  Y. Wu, J. Y. Lin, and T. S. Huang, “Capturing Natural Hand Articulation,” Proc. Eighth IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision ICCV2001, Vol.2, pp. 426-432, 2001.
-  A. Kiso and H. Seki, “Discrimination of Human Forearm Motions on the Basis of Myoelectric Signals by Using Adaptive Fuzzy Inference System,” IEEJ Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol.130, No.11, pp. 1272-1278, 2010.
-  N. Tsujiuchi, T. Koizumi, and N. Kurisu, “Prosthetic Hand Control using Parallel Motion Discrimination from EMG signals,” Proc. of the 2010 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P1-E23, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.